Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Kellzea
  • 1 Post By JohnnyFEZ

How many of you are using the new Glance feature (the 'pre-lockscreen' clock)?

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a way to change the length of the timeout from 15 minutes to something more sensible like 1-3?

(If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's in Settings > display+touch > glance)

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CreepinJesus View Post
    How many of you are using the new Glance feature (the 'pre-lockscreen' clock)?

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a way to change the length of the timeout from 15 minutes to something more sensible like 1-3?

(If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's in Settings > display+touch > glance)
    I don't believe there is a way to set the time (although I would like to be able to)

I have it on as pulling it out my pocket just to look at the time is easier

I also have the red color when it get to night because its surprisingly bright lol
    Owned Phones: Nokia Lumia 925, iPhone 5
    Favorite OS: Windows Phone 8
    WP8 Colour: Cobalt on Dark
    Instagram: Krusty Yeti
    Photos taken with my Lumia 925: Flickr
    Friendly Photo Contest anyone?: Shootout

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    The Glance clock works in conjunction with the light sensor so if you have it in your pocket or face-down on a table it will turn off automatically, so it will never be really be on for the entire 15 minutes unless you just leave it on a table face up or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
    ...unless you just leave it on a table face up or something.
    That's exactly what I do ;) I'd rather scratch the plastic at the back than the screen.

I still for the life of me cannot figure out the benefit of this feature. The battery drain of having my sensors and screen on constant alert is not worth the time savings over just pressing the power button to check what time it is. I can do that before I even get the phone out of my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by ballanda View Post
    I still for the life of me cannot figure out the benefit of this feature. The battery drain of having my sensors and screen on constant alert is not worth the time savings over just pressing the power button to check what time it is. I can do that before I even get the phone out of my pocket.
    Then dont use it.
    tissotti and 1Sick1500 like this.

It depends on usage, I guess. You have to ask, will glance (having part of the screen on at a dim level for a few seconds and the proximity sensor doing its thing) use less power than turning the phone on normally (the whole screen at regular brightness, ambient light sensor checking the light levels, and WiFi scanning for and connecting to a network which it holds on to for 30s or so) for a second or two? Personally, I've seen no difference in battery usage.

I like the feature. I leave my phone on my desk or the table while at meetings and can always quickly see the time.

Agree with the other poster....if you do not like it or if you must save every electron of battery power, then you can turn it off. I like having the option.

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    The new "Peek" function seems pretty neat. The clock stays off until you hover your hand over the screen, then it turns on for a little while.

Really liking the Glance feature of the 925 but one thing bugs me about it. When you have silent on, it shows the three wavy lines above the clock. Pity Nokia can't also add an icon for when you get a text or e-mail. Wonder if they plan on doing this in the future. Glance would be a lot more useful then!

How do you get Peek? It's not showing up as an option on my phone...
    If you have GDR2 THEN JUST GO AND update display + touch

So Amber's not enough? How do you update a setting?

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Where can I look to see if I have the appropriate update for it?

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
    So Amber's not enough? How do you update a setting?
    You do have a 925, right? It should have come with it already installed. In Settings, look for display+touch, and it's one of the options in there.

Quote Originally Posted by CreepinJesus View Post
    You do have a 925, right? It should have come with it already installed. In Settings, look for display+touch, and it's one of the options in there.
    Yes, I do have a 925. And no, it's still not there. Just Off, Times, and Always On.

Unless T-Mobile thought it was too good of a feature and removed it?

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    The peak feature is a lot better than having the timed one as 15 minutes is quite a long time
    Owned Phones: Nokia Lumia 925, iPhone 5
    Favorite OS: Windows Phone 8
    WP8 Colour: Cobalt on Dark
    Instagram: Krusty Yeti
    Photos taken with my Lumia 925: Flickr
    Friendly Photo Contest anyone?: Shootout

Ok. Now a bunch of apps are updating today, one of which is the Display+Touch setting. The changelog mentions "quick look" for Glance. So I guess that's what Manojkumar meant. Interestingly, this is 24 hours after I activated the phone.
    It'd be nice if they let you adjust the timed one to anywhere between 1-15 mins before it auto shuts off.

I turned mine off. I think Glance would be more useful if it showed all of the lockscreen information instead of just the clock. I found that when I looked at my phone, even though I could see the time on the active Glance screen, I would still automatically hit the power button to see if I had any messages, emails, etc. on the lockscreen. If this is something that they add in a future update to Glance, I'll definitely reactivate it.
    tissotti likes this.

Global Posts
    1,107 Global Posts
    I have had this feature on my Nokia N9 since 2011. Only difference being that the "glance" screens stays 24/7 and switches place around to prevent screen burning at certain point of the screen. On N9 you also saw messages, calls etc shown on the glance screen.

On N9 you could only either totally switch off the feature or keep it on 24/7. Never noticed even slight difference on the battery life. You need to remember that on AMOLED screens when the screen is black, it really is shut down from those spots. You just got those pixels slightly lighten up that are active. I got a feeling you burn more battery life in 3 minute phone call than the glance screen being active 24/7 for 2 days.

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I decided not to use glance but I really like double tap to wake up the screen.

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    I have the wireless charging plate and stand, nice to have the clock on when charging. I hope Nokia adds more info on screen in the future though.