Is the wireless charging cover good enough to use as a daily case?

Pheno.menon

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm picking up my 925 in a couple weeks. I haven't seen any cases for it that I'd really want asides from the official wireless charging ones.

Those of you that have them, do they provide at least minimal protection in case of a drop? Or will the cover just fly off?

Sent from my Nexus 4

MalkyZ

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Curious about this too! Hope whoever has a charging shell can answer this question for us. I'm planning to pick my 925 up this weekend!

Chill510

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a red wireless charging cover...and will provide some protection for the device. Although keep in mind that it does not cover the sides of the device.

robert_in_la

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I just picked mine up and bought a D30 case. The working unit at the TMo store was only out for a few hours and the white back looked like it had been out there for months. It was crazy how dirty it looked.

Exhibit13

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Does the charging cover seem brittle? If you were to drop the phone on its corner would that small part crack off that laps over the phone and now the case wont stay on the phone so you have to spend another $40?

Also what about the back speaker being covered by the case, when you play music does that muffle the sound quality and make it really bad or is it even better sounding because of the cases sound channel (which now blows out the bottom) amplifies the sound?

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
It's not brittle. You have to bend it a bit to get it off, so it's a little pliable. If I dropped it from five feet it might ding or chip, but I doubt a corner would snap off.

As for the sound, I haven't listened to anything with the shell off yet, but I do like it coming out of the bottom. The sound is a little more directed to you rather than away from you.

Exhibit13

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Can someone give a comparison of music with and without? I am considering (even though I said pass) dropping the $570 on the phone and a case tomorrow morning. Even though I know it is a waste because new phones will be here in november and isn't much better or different than my 8x, I am tied of the HTC 8x. Resale value should still be decent in November December when I upgrade to nokias next latest greatest.

ballanda

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I sold mine. It makes the phone thicker than a 920 and completely covers the speaker, muffling the sound. I understand the rationale, but it's a huge deal breaker for me. I've found that plugging my phone in is not so bad after all. I survived for 14 years doing it before the 920. Plus a plug takes up less desk space 100% of the time.

I'm using mine naked now. This device is too sexy to cover up.

ballanda

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
BTW, there are very tiny raised bumps on the sides of the speaker, to hold the case off of it enough for the sound to go around the case. I still didn't like it. Way too thick.

I'd consider wireless charging on the 1020 if I get that, if the case evens out the camera bump any. But, again, the 925 is too perfect to hide in a cheesy case.

Exhibit13

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I sold mine. It makes the phone thicker than a 920 and completely covers the speaker, muffling the sound. I understand the rationale, but it's a huge deal breaker for me. I've found that plugging my phone in is not so bad after all. I survived for 14 years doing it before the 920. Plus a plug takes up less desk space 100% of the time.

I'm using mine naked now. This device is too sexy to cover up.

Thank you for the update. Well that helped make my decision, i am going to pass on the 925 and stick with my 8x for a few more months. The 925 is i am sure a great device but it seems too flawed for the cost. Nokia 945 I am waiting for you this nov/dec!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon