Purchasing Dilemma - Question...

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
So, last night, my best friend alerted me to buying the Lumia 925 for only $180 through Target Online. I couldn't get it at the cheap price with my own phone number because I bought the 810 back in November. However, I could get it through my mother's number (we have a joint $80 per month value plan and she has never had an actual T-Mobile phone) for that price, but there's a catch - I have to also sign up for a new data plan. Of course, we each have the free 500MB with our plan, by the way... I could actually sign up for the 2.5GB $10 per month plan, but neither of us needs that much and I really don't want to pay that extra $10+ taxes each month. Also, I would be using the phone, not her. I guess what I'm trying to ask is whether you guys think this deal would be worth it. I already have a Rogers 920 I've been using since May 8th. I'm not sure what I want to do... I REALLY do want a 925, but I'm really miffed about this data thing. At the same time, I doubt there would ever be another deal as good as this for that phone since I'm no longer on a plan with a contract. :crying:

I proceeded to checkout just to see what the total would come to and it's saying $391.92. WTF?! Okay, I assume aside from the regular taxes plus the $18 upgrade fee (they still charge that??), they're also charging me for my plan. Utterly ridiculous, I'd rather pay that when it's actually due. I think I'm going to pass on this because it's B.S. with making me upgrade the data anyway. :angry:

Last edited:

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
It's beyond cheap, but I really don't want to have to up the data, especially since it'll be on my mother's number and she doesn't need it with her Lumia 620 that only gets H/H+. It's not really the off contract price per se, it's just coming up that cheap under my mother's number because as far as T-Mobile knows, she only has the line but no phone.

I probably should have mentioned also that if I try buying the phone under my number, it comes up $599.99.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It's beyond cheap, but I really don't want to have to up the data, especially since it'll be on my mother's number and she doesn't need it with her Lumia 620 that only gets H/H+. It's not really the off contract price per se, it's just coming up that cheap under my mother's number because as far as T-Mobile knows, she only has the line but no phone.

I went to the target page and yeah, that's the on contract upgrade price. In a subsidized contract, it's difficult to tell what constitutes a deal. How does this price compare to other high end phones? That would be one method.

Of course, anytime you forego an upgrade on a subsidized plan, you're kinda cheating yourself out of the value that plan provides. I would say go for it as long as you are happy with T-mobile and feel comfortable signing for another two years.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I went to the target page and yeah, that's the on contract upgrade price. In a subsidized contract, it's difficult to tell what constitutes a deal. How does this price compare to other high end phones? That would be one method.

Of course, anytime you forego an upgrade on a subsidized plan, you're kinda cheating yourself out of the value that plan provides. I would say go for it as long as you are happy with T-mobile and feel comfortable signing for another two years.

Oops, sorry for the confusion. Yes, that's the on contract price, of course. It's just odd that I could get the phone at that price under my mother's number since we have the no contract $80 per month two person value plan. Very odd indeed.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
It does sound too good to be true. I saw the same price for the phone on Staples.com, but I hesitated to order because of the data issue and I also don't know if this actually applies to my current plan or a NEW family plan. Needless to say, I don't want to take the chance. :straight:

Tracy Daken

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
There are no tmobile plan contracts. The EIP is financing for phone in which you look at. When you "Upgrade", they adjust how much you owe up front based on your credit history. Just know that money you pay is going towards your phone and if you pay more than the advertised price, then that will lower your monthly cost on that phone. Say the phone is 520 bucks, and you pay 300 down, you pay 220 over a period of two years. Now if you cancel the line, be sure to keep paying tmobile monthly the cost of the phone, or they will charge you the remainder of what you owe the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6