Lumia 925 - BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH - Totally bricked within a week :/

magictriangle

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I have had this phone for about 1 week. I haven't dropped it and nothing out of the ordinary has happened to it but it decided to just totally stop working on me. When I attempt to turn it on, it just goes to a solid blue screen for about 30 seconds before turning off again. Charging it just repeats this process as long as it's plugged in. Pretty bummed. Off to the T-Mobile store I go to get a replacement!

has anyone else had this problem?

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Definitely sounds like a defective unit and should be eligible for a brand new exchange since it happened within 7 days of purchase.

magictriangle

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Got an order for a replacement phone in the works. Luckily it will be replaced for free, but totally a bummer that I still had to pay sales tax ($46) for a replacement for a defective phone.

RonV42

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I have had this phone for about 1 week. I haven't dropped it and nothing out of the ordinary has happened to it but it decided to just totally stop working on me. When I attempt to turn it on, it just goes to a solid blue screen for about 30 seconds before turning off again. Charging it just repeats this process as long as it's plugged in. Pretty bummed. Off to the T-Mobile store I go to get a replacement!

Yes I had this problem....it's not blue screen of death, it's the windows logo screen background that comes up and then for some reason it doesn't paint and sometimes throws the message about inserting the windows install media. T-Mobile replaced the phone with no problems.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Why would they make you pay sales tax on a replacement? You didn't buy another phone, you had it replaced. Seems like some shenanigans going on wherever you had it replaced at.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Why would they make you pay sales tax on a replacement? You didn't buy another phone, you had it replaced. Seems like some shenanigans going on wherever you had it replaced at.
Definite shenanigans. You don't get charged sales tax on an identical replacement. Maybe the salesperson didn't know the right way to enter the replacement into the system. I'd call T-Mo and get that $46 back.

magictriangle

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Definite shenanigans. You don't get charged sales tax on an identical replacement. Maybe the salesperson didn't know the right way to enter the replacement into the system. I'd call T-Mo and get that $46 back.

I will give them a call and see if I can sort that out!

magictriangle

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Also you can try hitting the power/volume button down if it bricks out.

I did try this. Initially, it wasn't even doing anything when I pressed the power button so I tried that technique next. That's when it started to actually do something, but it wouldn't get past a blue screen.

DJDUPIN

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
The same thing happened to my wife's phone. She hasn't even had it for a week, and never dropped it. Then for no reason the screen went blue. She's going to the store today to get a replacement.

cashkennedy

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Mines doing this now... unfortunately mines 3 weeks old, so ill probably have to do a warranty claim with nokia, I had about 30 apps installed, and pretty much perfectly baby my phone, so obviously this isn't an issue with how you treat the phone.

anthonykash

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
There is a key command that will reset the phone to factory during boot. If that doesn't work google Nokia software updater, or a similar name, it'll allow you to download firmware and you can reflash the entire phone like they'd do st the factory. I apologize for not knowing the exact name of the software.

Sent from my RM-893_nam_tmous_201 using Tapatalk

DouttJ

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Just happened to mine this morning, I contacted Nokia to see if they can help, did some steps with them and now I have the screen that says 'Windows Boot Manager' and wants a disk to repair. Only had this a couple of weeks, and now I'm a little upset to say the least. Came here to see if it's big problem before I go and get another. Looks like it's happening a little too often lately for my taste.

magictriangle

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I got my new phone this week and it already did a random shut off and i had to hard reset in able to get it to turn back on. Otherwise, so far so good. I am really hoping this second phone doesn't do what the last phone did.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site

Whoa, I had this problem. Took it to T-Mo and even the Nokia rep had never seen that (checked with her colleagues, database, etc.).

They swapped mine out but yeah, it can happen. The good news is it seems very rare--like I said, Nokia had no previous reports on it nor have we received a single tip on it.

Hard resetting did not fix it. It looks like a corrupted bootloader, imo.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Whoa, I had this problem. Took it to T-Mo and even the Nokia rep had never seen that (checked with her colleagues, database, etc.).

They swapped mine out but yeah, it can happen. The good news is it seems very rare--like I said, Nokia had no previous reports on it nor have we received a single tip on it.

Hard resetting did not fix it. It looks like a corrupted bootloader, imo.

hmm seems more than very rare if its starting to happen to him again. Nokia should address that soon before it becomes widespread

gottago

Dec 5, 2004
Visit site
Mine is just about 3 weeks old and I got the blue screen and now I get a screen entitled 'Windows Boot Manager' that suggest inserting the Windows Installation Disc. Huh...? Back to T-Mobile tomorrow.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
hmm seems more than very rare if its starting to happen to him again. Nokia should address that soon before it becomes widespread
It happening to one person (or three) is called anecdotal ;) Like I said, Nokia has a DB of issues with devices and each phone returned/replaced for a defect or problem gets logged. This issue, at the time it had happened to me, was not even in the system once.

I know it sucks if you're that one guy who this happens to, but I assure you it is far from widespread or increasing (even look at the lack of responses to this thread).

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Add one more..... Just happened to me today. Will try Nokia Care Suite and if that doesn't work will have to get it replaced.... :-(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss