Should i get the 925?

kanishka007

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Let me introduce myself to the forum. Well I should have done that via the proper "introduction" thread, but i think I will do so once I have my windows phone :) I am kanishka, from Mumbai, India. For those Indians who are confused by the name, I am sorry; I am a guy :D
Cutting the rest of the introduction for the appropriate thread I will come down to the question

As most of you guys might be aware of the fact that in India, one doesnt get subsidized smart phones. We pay the full price of a device and that is pretty hefty usually. Hence switching phones regularly is not pretty easy.
I was using a S2 for last 2 years before i decided to shift to windows phone in march. I was so in love with lumia 920 barring its hefty size. However, peer pressure and the realization that investing nearly 600$ then on a growing platform could be risky stopped me. I ended up buying Xperia Z for the sheer beauty of it. Here is my one line review of Xperia Z

IT SUCKS
To name a few reasons:
1. Battery life SUCKS. I do recharge twice a day if I am on 3g, and if i am not I will still charge it back at 5pm
2. Camera. I remember my N97 mini and it took MUCH better pics. PERIOD
3. Ease of use. Well I am done holding a brick slab in my hand.
4. IT LAGS! it has one of the highest scores on several benchmarks and still it bloody lags more frequently then my 4 year old ipod touch!

It has its beauties as well, sound quality on earphones is one of the best i have heard. But thats pretty much it.

So here is the dilemma.

I am getting a good price for my device so i am selling it. The end result boils down to 2 devices. Lumia 925 and S4. At this point you guys might laugh at me on considering android again. You guys might also laugh at the fact that I am on a windows phone forum asking advice on a windows phone device. Well, my heart says lumia 925. My brain is confused. And here is why i need some genuine and unbiased advice. To tell why only these 2, because both will cost me Rs 34000 ($570) in India. Why I am even considering S4? Because thats the only worthy competitor at this price. To help you guys better, I will be buying ipad 5 whenever it comes so hardcore gaming and apps will not be an issue on mobile.

My daily usage includes:
Music while commuting to office
Maps (I am new to the city)
Camera, occasionally (cant carry my D600 everywhere!)
Flipboard (I need it!)
Some basic accounting apps like tricount
A good Browser: My MOST used application on a device

On hardware front, I really wish I had a premium yet ergonomically viable device. I also wish a complete 1 day batter on occasional 3g.

I Hope I wasnt too loud here. Expecting very genuine non fanboyish replies :)

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Get the S4.

We don't have Google Maps. We do have Nokia Maps which is pretty good but coming from android I would assume you are accustom to Google maps :)
It has a good camera.
We don't have flipboard
You will have a wider variety of accounting apps with the S4
The only browswer we have is Internet Explorer. There is one alternative, uc browswer.

Cheers :)

kanishka007

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Get the S4.

We don't have Google Maps. We do have Nokia Maps which is pretty good but coming from android I would assume you are accustom to Google maps :)
It has a good camera.
We don't have flipboard
You will have a wider variety of accounting apps with the S4
The only browswer we have is Internet Explorer. There is one alternative, uc browswer.

Cheers :)

Thanks for the reply mate.!
I do prefer having offline maps though, since it actually saves a lot of cost and prevents the device from heating up. I am little inclined towards Nokia maps since I started using maps 1st on my N97mini.

While i do agree the device or the ecosystem is behind on few points mentioned above, but apart from these is there any other reason I should not buy 925..?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend actually playing with one and resrarching the phone as much as possible. Many people do not thouroughly research the phone and when they purchase it, notice that certain features are missing.
Then they post and rant on the forums.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had any disappointments from my 925. It is arguably the best high end device Nokia offers. I've put the camera through its paces, and it has rewarded me with great shots over and over. What are the return policies where you live? Is there any risk in buying the 925 and returning it if you don't like it?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I think the 925 would be fine for you, Kanishka. Now, I can't speak for how it is in India as I'm an American from the NYC area, but Bing Search has been really good to me on both my Lumia 810 and Lumia 920 when I'm looking for an address I'm not all that familiar with. I haven't used Nokia Maps myself, but others have said it's a good navigation tool. You might want to test out the 925 at a store (if you can) before buying it just to be sure it's the right one for you.

kanishka007

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had any disappointments from my 925. It is arguably the best high end device Nokia offers. I've put the camera through its paces, and it has rewarded me with great shots over and over. What are the return policies where you live? Is there any risk in buying the 925 and returning it if you don't like it?

Unfortunately at this point of time, Nokias are not demanding any great resale value in my country. Also there is absolutely NO return policy. If that was the case i would have immediately returned my Xperia.

But nonetheless, camera is a must for me. I feel sad that Nokias 2 years back produced better images than current flagships from other companies and after shelling out so many bucks all you get is grainy blurred imaged. Anyways, thanks for the input about the 925 camera. It has certainly helped :)

kanishka007

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I think the 925 would be fine for you, Kanishka. Now, I can't speak for how it is in India as I'm an American from the NYC area, but Bing Search has been really good to me on both my Lumia 810 and Lumia 920 when I'm looking for an address I'm not all that familiar with. I haven't used Nokia Maps myself, but others have said it's a good navigation tool. You might want to test out the 925 at a store (if you can) before buying it just to be sure it's the right one for you.

In india Nokia maps have covered extensively and since I am living in mumbai, which is a very big city, I think Nokia must be at their best over here. But I take yours and others advice. Have a friend who owns L920. Will spend a day or 2 and then make a decision. Will update here with my final decision then.

Untill then, seriously this is the best set of help I have received, totally unbiased. Thanks a ton guys. :smile:

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I too think you should research well before jumping to Windows Phone. You might get more apps in the future, but the ones you mentioned are not available.

In India, Google Maps is better than Nokia Maps for POI. Nokia is better for Turn by Turn navigation and offline mode. I rely on three mapping apps on windows phone Here maps, GMaps, MapMyIndia. I wish there were one service but it is not the case.

In windows phone notifications for certain critical apps are notoriously improper. I mean whatsapp, facebook etc.. do not push notifications immediately. I think this has partially to do with Windows Phone background agents and some bad coding. I hope they are fixed soon.

Internet Explorer does not render every site well. I mean it is ok for 9 out of 10 times, but you will always find an issue with the 10th site you visit. Especially the Google sites are very bad on IE, some sites like citibank don't work. So there are a few issues there.

Music and Camera are top notch in windows phone, you will enjoy Nokia Music, Dolby support, camera apps in WP. There are ton of well designed and beautiful apps on WP. I just love using them on my 920.

IMO with the requirements you stated I'd say you are better off with an S4 , although I know I hate the immature touchwiz and the lag on S4 and the malware issues on android , but do check Windows Phone also and all the features before you make a decision.

kanishka007

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I too think you should research well before jumping to Windows Phone. You might get more apps in the future, but the ones you mentioned are not available.

In India, Google Maps is better than Nokia Maps for POI. Nokia is better for Turn by Turn navigation and offline mode. I rely on three mapping apps on windows phone Here maps, GMaps, MapMyIndia. I wish there were one service but it is not the case.

In windows phone notifications for certain critical apps are notoriously improper. I mean whatsapp, facebook etc.. do not push notifications immediately. I think this has partially to do with Windows Phone background agents and some bad coding. I hope they are fixed soon.

Internet Explorer does not render every site well. I mean it is ok for 9 out of 10 times, but you will always find an issue with the 10th site you visit. Especially the Google sites are very bad on IE, some sites like citibank don't work. So there are a few issues there.

Music and Camera are top notch in windows phone, you will enjoy Nokia Music, Dolby support, camera apps in WP. There are ton of well designed and beautiful apps on WP. I just love using them on my 920.

IMO with the requirements you stated I'd say you are better off with an S4 , although I know I hate the immature touchwiz and the lag on S4 and the malware issues on android , but do check Windows Phone also and all the features before you make a decision.

Thanks mate.

However things will change a lot on app front for me, as i should have an ipad in next couple of months. Nothing beats it yet!!
So the major requirement is somewhere on the hardware front and the way the phone is able to handle most of the basic and some smart tasks. It should NOT lag, it should NOT die down in the middle of day, It should NOT get me lost in mumbai and it should NOT be tough for once in a while single handed use.

Anyways, mostly its going to be 925. I just need to check a few local retailers as well. Already put up my Xperia on Olx.

Once again, thanks all for your time. Will update now with my final decision :)

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks mate.

However things will change a lot on app front for me, as i should have an ipad in next couple of months. Nothing beats it yet!!
So the major requirement is somewhere on the hardware front and the way the phone is able to handle most of the basic and some smart tasks. It should NOT lag, it should NOT die down in the middle of day, It should NOT get me lost in mumbai and it should NOT be tough for once in a while single handed use.

Anyways, mostly its going to be 925. I just need to check a few local retailers as well. Already put up my Xperia on Olx.

Yup, you will always have good Nokia support in India :D . ATB with your next WP device

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks mate.

you will get all what you need except the battery life, the battery life depends on your usage, my 925 lasts only 5 hours with continuous fb app browsing, whatsapp and internet browsing, no video or music playback

mm77

May 1, 2013
Visit site

Indians are not blessed with that policy. Once you buy a phone. Its yours. You can sell it in the resale market at a huge discount.

mm77

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Kanishka.... I feel you should definitely go in for the 925. Its a much superior phone than the S4. The UI is pretty smooth as with all Windows Phones. The camera is second only to 1020. Nokia maps and Nokia Drive are excellent for India. On a recent bike journey from Mumbai to Khardung La and back, my Lumia 800 performed better than an S3 and Nexus 4. The androids' beat the 800 in the battery life during our trip but the Nokia DC16 charger pulled us through the journey.

PS the 800 was my only camera :)

Like you even I'm confused for my next device though my choices are simpler 920 or 925.

Cheers.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think the S4 is the phone for you. Just think you had one bad android experience

Sent from something UhMEHZing using Tapatalk

ferazzz1985

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
you will get all what you need except the battery life, the battery life depends on your usage, my 925 lasts only 5 hours with continuous fb app browsing, whatsapp and internet browsing, no video or music playback

I am glad I am in the same boat as you, with heavy usage I only get about 6-7 hours so I started disabling background tasks and brought them down to 4 to see if this would help, at first I thought it was not normal since I have an international version and using it in Canada......

ferazzz1985

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Let me introduce myself to the forum. Well I should have done that via the proper "introduction" thread, but i think I will do so once I have my windows phone :) I am kanishka, from Mumbai, India. For those Indians who are confused by the name, I am sorry; I am a guy :D
Cutting the rest of the introduction for the appropriate thread I will come down to the question

As most of you guys might be aware of the fact that in India, one doesnt get subsidized smart phones. We pay the full price of a device and that is pretty hefty usually. Hence switching phones regularly is not pretty easy.
I was using a S2 for last 2 years before i decided to shift to windows phone in march. I was so in love with lumia 920 barring its hefty size. However, peer pressure and the realization that investing nearly 600$ then on a growing platform could be risky stopped me. I ended up buying Xperia Z for the sheer beauty of it. Here is my one line review of Xperia Z

IT SUCKS
To name a few reasons:
1. Battery life SUCKS. I do recharge twice a day if I am on 3g, and if i am not I will still charge it back at 5pm
2. Camera. I remember my N97 mini and it took MUCH better pics. PERIOD
3. Ease of use. Well I am done holding a brick slab in my hand.
4. IT LAGS! it has one of the highest scores on several benchmarks and still it bloody lags more frequently then my 4 year old ipod touch!

It has its beauties as well, sound quality on earphones is one of the best i have heard. But thats pretty much it.

So here is the dilemma.

I am getting a good price for my device so i am selling it. The end result boils down to 2 devices. Lumia 925 and S4. At this point you guys might laugh at me on considering android again. You guys might also laugh at the fact that I am on a windows phone forum asking advice on a windows phone device. Well, my heart says lumia 925. My brain is confused. And here is why i need some genuine and unbiased advice. To tell why only these 2, because both will cost me Rs 34000 ($570) in India. Why I am even considering S4? Because thats the only worthy competitor at this price. To help you guys better, I will be buying ipad 5 whenever it comes so hardcore gaming and apps will not be an issue on mobile.

My daily usage includes:
Music while commuting to office
Maps (I am new to the city)
Camera, occasionally (cant carry my D600 everywhere!)
Flipboard (I need it!)
Some basic accounting apps like tricount
A good Browser: My MOST used application on a device

On hardware front, I really wish I had a premium yet ergonomically viable device. I also wish a complete 1 day batter on occasional 3g.

I Hope I wasnt too loud here. Expecting very genuine non fanboyish replies :)

1. Music player on WP8 sucks balls in my opinion (Still believe that the iPhone is the best mobile music player out there BAR NONE)
2. Camera is second only to Lumia 1020 and does incredbile in low light situations (however S4 camera is just as good in my opinion but not in low light)
3. Nokia maps and offline support is the best out there (just came back from Europe and Iceland and my gf`s IPhone 5 was off and my phone was the daily driver for our adventures and found all the places I needed with ease, THANK YOU NOKIA!!)
4. Ease of use. You cant find an easier Platform than WP8 and iOS (I think you will love the fluid functions and smooth operation of WP8)
5. LAG--------NO LAG TO BE SEEN ON A WP EVER!!!!!!!

We don`t have flipboard and we only have IE for web broswer which I believe will do fine. Also on a side note the 925 is one sexy *** device to hold, even moreso than the S4. It feels as good in my opinion as the HTC ONE and iPhone 5 on hand which is a big feat!

Hope that helps

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I am glad I am in the same boat as you, with heavy usage I only get about 6-7 hours so I started disabling background tasks and brought them down to 4 to see if this would help, at first I thought it was not normal since I have an international version and using it in Canada......

yes the battery is not that much good, sometimes i feel that there is something wrong with apps that it consumes so much power or maybe phone drivers and firmware is not optimized yet...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb