I got my unlock code yesterday, and now I'm happily using my Lumia 925 on Telus. I had to go through slightly more hoops to get the code though. I bought it at Microsoft retail store in Bellevue, and TMo CSR kept insisting that I bought it at an "unauthorized 3rd party store" (they must be kidding me)? The first two requests failed because they failed to properly put my phone make and model (blank in first case, n/a in second case), each time requiring 1-2 days for a turnaround. Each time they kept telling me and convincing me, that my phone is not a T-Mobile phone, which was really frustrating. Then I went into TMo retail store and asked the store rep to call TMo, that's when I found out about the "7 day rule", and was told I can definitely unlock it on Aug 31st (I purchased it on July 24th). Tried again on 31st, and next day received another failed response, this time because I didn't qualify (although they were all telling me that I do). This time the CS supervisor (I stopped talking to tier-1 and started immediately requesting supervisors, because regular CSR just want to create the unlock request again) told me that I have to have my last refill to be $50, although he confirmed that policy was reading "cumulative refills since account activation". I got into an argument with him and he hung up. After that they started telling me I have to contact Nokia. I contacted Nokia, and they instructed me to insist that TMo must provide the codes, and Nokia doesn't disclose them (showed a link about the subsidy lock policy on Nokia website). I even tried a conf call between Nokia and TMo but CSR in TMo kept going through his script so Nokia rep hung up without talking to him.
Originally Posted by tai4de2
After all that nonsense I didn't want to deal with useless plain customer service and turned to their corporate office in Bellevue. They first instructed me to e-mail TForce@t-mobile.com, where reps started convincing me over e-mail that TMo does not unlock non-TMo phones, I had to stand up and defend my grounds with them. But later I also left a voice mail to their executive response line about their CSRs and their supervisors misleading and treating me unprofessionally, and two days later I received a call from a very nice executive response representative, who listened to all my concerns and said she would try her best to get me an unlock code. She then called back two days later and assured me that they are still working on getting the unlock code. And a week later I got an e-mail with the working unlock code. Before I contacted T-Mobile, I also filed a complaint with Attorney General in WA state about TMo's unfair business practice of locking the non-subsidized phones, which harms me as an individual and consumer, and recently I received a response, that my complaint was forwarded to their Consumer Protection Division, so this vehicle also seems to be rolling.
In the end I'm happy I received my unlock code. Hopefully, the executive response team will review all recordings of my calls to CS, and responsible CSRs and supervisors will receive proper training and coaching. I also hope that eventually Consumer Protection Division might force TMo to always unlock phones for people, who purchased them outright or don't owe anything to TMo on the phone, regardless of them being TMo customers and satisfying their internal policies or not.