The 925 got me excited to try WP8. The 521 helped me make WP8 a daily driver

Chris2183

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
For those who don't know my tale of wading into WP8 this was my first impressions

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-925/234271-jelly-bean-amber-my-leap-into-wp8-925-a.html

After I switched to the 521 a lot of stresses went away. I was halfway through my 2 week return period and there were several small hindrances that were preventing me from fully committing to the 925 I felt like I was running out of time and when I was offered an opportunity to return it without paying a restocking fee I panicked and returned it. I wasn't ready to give give up on WP8 yet so I bought a 521 to play with at my leisure.

First things first
I had to break my Swype addiction. I downloaded Swift Key to my Nexus and have been getting used to typing vs swiping. Its been tough but I'm getting better as the days go by. This was by far my biggest problem with any phone outside of Android the lack of Swype was a deal breaker and it was what ultimately made me unhappy with the 925. I'm happy that I moved away from it so I can experience other phones without an unconscious bias.

Google Music All Access

I finally gave Xbox music a try while I still heavily favor GMAA, Xbox music gives me the ability to search by genre which was the most important thing. I like to search a genre and start a radio station. Rdio and Spotify couldn't do this. Im not thrilled about committing to a single platform music service again due to the problems I had with GMAA on my Lumias and my wife did getting it on her new iPhone but at the end of the day I want something that works the way I expect and Xbox music fills that role.

The great app debate
This is something MS really needs to work on and everyone knows it. I bought the 925 when my wife and I were having a lot of fun with Instagram. None of the apps here worked as well as the official Instagram app and it made me a little sour towards the phone. If the lack of this one app could upset me this bad I was certain there were many more out there that were going to **** me off to

With the 521 I found myself taking pics, uploading to Skydrive and retrieving them with my Nexus or my Ipad mini to edit and upload later in the day. I came to realize that I much prefer using my tablet for these types of things and i have an ipod touch that can go with me for my absolute must have apps

I got many great tips on how to navigate the phone without a notification bar and have become much more proficient at getting the appropriate reaction from the phone. Keyboard shortcuts were another big one too.

Why should you care
You shouldn't but the ability to learn the OS on my own terms led me to really enjoy WP8 enough that I'm headed back to T-Mobile this afternoon to buy another 925 :eek::eek::D:D:D:D

Really the 925 is awesome and it is the only phone I've ever regretted returning

So raise the jolly roger cuz its time for mischief, gold, and piracy :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
It's good that you were willing to go with the 521 just to make sure WP8 was or wasn't for you. Many would walk away, we are an instant gratification bunch these days. Glad that you were able to come to a conclusion that worked for you. That extra bit of patience and experimenting paid off.

Chris2183

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I liked WP8, the stress of trying to get acclimated before the return period was up was what was really messing with me. I'm glad the 521 and the 520 exist to give a good WP8 experience for a budget price

Chris2183

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Lol I don't know how many stories I'll have but I do have a trip coming up that may run the offline maps through its paces😊

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Before settling for xbox music you might want to also check out Rhapsody for WP8. They let you browse by genre and subgenre, and they have *new releases by genre* which for me is a big deal. Each genre has several radio stations....not the generated kind but the curated kind. They're decent, which is good because unfortunately Rhapsody's algorithmic radio station generator is rock stupid.

But, I'd still pick that over xbox music given its current state. I'm holding out hope Microsoft whips xbox music into shape before releasing it on other platforms.

I have an HTC One and a Lumia 925, but if G+ and Google Music All Access ever came to the 925 I think it's very likely that would become my primary phone instead of the HTC One. And if Microsoft DOES get xbox music in better shape I might anyways.

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and I don't know if you noticed the other thread but Nokia Pro Cam just got released for the 925 and OMG FANTASTIC!!!!

I'm loving it so far.... It'll make your decision to get the 925 again seem that much righter. :-D

Chris2183

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Before settling for xbox music you might want to also check out Rhapsody for WP8. They let you browse by genre and subgenre, and they have *new releases by genre* which for me is a big deal. Each genre has several radio stations....not the generated kind but the curated kind. They're decent, which is good because unfortunately Rhapsody's algorithmic radio station generator is rock stupid.

But, I'd still pick that over xbox music given its current state. I'm holding out hope Microsoft whips xbox music into shape before releasing it on other platforms.

I have an HTC One and a Lumia 925, but if G+ and Google Music All Access ever came to the 925 I think it's very likely that would become my primary phone instead of the HTC One. And if Microsoft DOES get xbox music in better shape I might anyways.

Oh snap those are the main reasons i have All Access gonna try it out tomorrow

Oh, and I don't know if you noticed the other thread but Nokia Pro Cam just got released for the 925 and OMG FANTASTIC!!!!

I'm loving it so far.... It'll make your decision to get the 925 again seem that much righter. :-D

I downloaded it earlier today

Chris2183

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
OMGWTFTACOS!!! I loaded up Rhapsody and holy balls it poos all over everything I've tried so far. It's almost as good as All Access. Serious internet high five to karmamule for letting me know how good it is.

Bonus props for them doing a promotion right now. I got three months for a dollar👍👍👍

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
OMGWTFTACOS!!! I loaded up Rhapsody and holy balls it poos all over everything I've tried so far. It's almost as good as All Access. Serious internet high five to karmamule for letting me know how good it is.

Bonus props for them doing a promotion right now. I got three months for a dollar

lol, glad you like it! I give lots of respect to Rhapsody for making their WP8 version just as good, if not a touch better, than their app on other platforms. (As opposed to rdio or Spotify who clearly have WP8 versions as an afterthought: I still appreciate they have them, but they definitely got the B-team treatment....)

Chris2183

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I seriously hope the guy who made the Spotify app for WP steps on a Lego in the middle of the night when he gets up to go to the bathroom.

The worst part is that people have been actively complaining on their forums and the Spotify staff have pretty much told them that they have no plans to add radio functions to the WP app. Honestly if they could **** on Android they would do it too but they know they would lose a lot of money if they did. They only really care about iOS

Chris2183

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't use Instagram, so I don't know how well it compares to the other apps, but maybe try out 6tag.

I am excited to check out 6tag but I have some other things that are taking priority over Instagram right now

Chris2183

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Have you checked out Hipstamatic Oggl yet? Crazy silly number of filters and such and you can post to Instagram from it....

I take pics at various times and upload them at my leisure. Last I read Oggl will not let you do that, you have to upload the pictures as you take them

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077