| | 08-19-2013, 02:00 PM #1
1st of all, before i even say anything, I must say I am really thankful for guys in this forum. Really helped me took a decision which i was not 100% sure of. But most of the time, one is not sure of things they eventually fall in love with.!
2nd of all this thread is basically useless on a site dedicated to WP users. But there is a definite reason. We Indians, unlike our friends in States and Europe can't take advantage of any operator subsidies. Devices are sold unlocked and at hefty prices. To give you an Idea Iphone 5 retails in India for nearly 750$!!! Thats the only way one can have I5 in India! So how does this problem becomes a major problem? Well people have to think a lot before buying a device (unless one is filthy rich). We study, do a lot of research and so on. As with rest of the world we are also under an Android invasion, but most of the people in my age group (~25) want to try an iphone or a WP as their next device. And most of the time, they end up not buying a Wp because they are not sure of it. This thread is basically for those wanderers and to tell them why to trust the beloved Nokia again!
My history of nokia phones is long, from 6600 to E51 to N97mini to E6. All of them were fantastic at their time. Last to last year when i was looking for a smart phone i was comparing Lumia 800 and galaxy S2. Ended up buying S2 as rumours were strong of Wp7 not getting 8. S2 died this year.
This year it was L920 vs Xperia Z. Z won because of L920s weight. I was waiting for the one Nokia device to fall in love again. I had my issues with Z and they are posted in the thread Should i get the 925?
The D Day
I went to Nokia priority dealer on 17th just to have a look at the device. Love is first sight is a fairy tale event? errr.. NO. I fell in love the first time I saw the device. As people say, Lumia 925 is what L920 should have been. I wonder what Lumia 925 would have done last year when Lumia 920 was launched
Nonetheless, the dealer told me that if I buy this, it will be the first sale in entire Mumbai. On top of it, he offered a good price for my Z. And to wrap it up, he gave me a DC16 charger. Deal Closed!!
I was one of those who received the device with a loose plate and washed out screen. Got it replaced today, so that's no more an issue.
1. The design. It is the most beautiful device I have ever seen. Period.
2. The screen. The screen gives you the wide contrasts of an amoled screen yet retain the practical aspects like sunlight readability. Viewing angles are amazing!
3. Camera. Well before I replaced my 1st unit I clicked some pics with my friends. Those pics were immediately made facebook DPs by both of them!! The low light photos blew them away!
4. OS. Coming from android I think this is the best thing that happened. It simply doesnt lag. It can get slow at times, but thats rare and unnoticeable unlike androids.
5. Navigation. Its highly optimized and will suggest best routes considering mumbai's pathetic traffic
1. Tagging of locations and points of interest in Nokia maps lags behind Google maps.
2. Battery could have been better, but its still better than my Xperia Z :D
3. Aluminium is prone to scratches. An outer shell is a must
4. Device gets hot when using some heavy apps (Navigation or Streaming music on 3G). Again this has to do with the aluminium design rather than anything else.
5. Music quality surely lags behind Xperia Z
1. Nokia Music. I think this has to do with some internal servers but I am unable to get the unlimited music pass on my device and this sucks!! This was the biggest reason of my purchase!: RESOLVED. It is now under "the good" category :)
2. Earphones. I understand that in-ear earphones are meant to create noise cancellation but these are pathetic. They are so big that they leave no space for air and can cause some aching after sometime.
I will not put presence of applications anywhere. I found what all i needed :)
With L925, I realized that a mobile phone must be good in doing what is expected out of it, before it goes smart.! In the end, if call quality, battery life, camera quality and design of the device is below the market, I will not be happy with the device even if it can cook food for me
Once again, thanks to WPcentral members for getting me on board.
Few Quotes i received in the office today:
"Is that a 720?" (yes the black one looks like a 720 when seen at the 1st go )
"Dude why will you buy a Windows phone by selling Xperia Z?"
"That is one sexy phone!!"
"Camera rocks man!"
Flickr: kuvick88's Photostream