screen viewing angles question

illewoare

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

my 925 arrived last week and i noticed immediately that the whites when looking from any angle turn blueish / greenish. While it's still readable, it's not what i expected, seeing all these positive reviews.
When looking straight at the screen, it really looks amazing. Is this normal behavior of an amoled screen or is something wrong? I can't find anything online about any viewing angle problems, so i hoped to find an answer here :)

Thanks!

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Amoled is better than LCD in the case if viewing angles. The tint you talk about exists on Amoled displays AFAIK (Razr,Nexus, S2 all had it) but it should be pleasant enough for normal viewing. I

You can tweak the screen to suit your needs in the display+touch section in settings.

illewoare

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your quick replies!
I know the whites in general with amoled screens aren't as white as with LCD's, but i'm specifically asking about the very noticable difference between looking straight at the screen and in an angle. Straight is really beautiful and even quite white, but turning the phone a little bit really changes this. If this isn't the case with your phones, please let me know!

I'll look some more at other amoled phones, see what i can find.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your quick replies!
I know the whites in general with amoled screens aren't as white as with LCD's, but i'm specifically asking about the very noticable difference between looking straight at the screen and in an angle. Straight is really beautiful and even quite white, but turning the phone a little bit really changes this. If this isn't the case with your phones, please let me know!

I'll look some more at other amoled phones, see what i can find.
I own a 920, viewing angles are bad for LCDs. Someone with a keen eye for detail should pick up this thread. Please do check other devices.

itsmemuffins

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I used to have the lumia 800 and it had a really nasty blue/green tint and the slightest off axis viewing. Got rid of it because of that. I currently have the Samsung Ativ S and I'm really impressed with this screen. Whites look white and you only ever notice that tint on extreme viewing angles (basically viewing the screen flat on an angle).

illewoare

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
After a long search, I found a couple of reviews talking about the problem, so i guess it's normal:

Trusted Reviews said:
What Nokia hasn’t been able to solve with software is the slight blue cast to AMOLED screens when they’re viewed at an angle. However, it’s far less severe than in some earlier-generation phones, and is so minor an issue anyway that it is not worth worrying about much when buying a phone – who routinely looks at their phone from an angle in day-to-day use?

It'll take some getting use to coming from a LCD phone, but the 925 is too beautiful to swap for anything else :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6