Lumia 925 or Nexus 5

pizana_13

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello im trying to decide between this and the upcoming nexus 5. The thing I like about the nexus is future OS updates by Google and its future proof. How future proof is the lumia 925? Will it get 8.1 or even WP9. When I buy a phone, this is the question I always ask myself.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
All devices with 8 will get 8.1, I'm not sure about 9 though, but I think it'll get that too :smile:

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure both are future proof. Just a matter of which platform you prefer. For android even the Nexus 4 will get updates. Galaxy Nexus came with 4.0 and is now on 4.3 so the newer Nexus 4 has a better chance. Lumia 925 came with amber so pretty sure the next update will come as well. I use both platforms so I won't bash any of them. They work good together for me. Which among both are you drawn to?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
the only reason lumia x00 devices didn't get WP8 was the kernel change.. Now that MS sorted that out there's no technical reason why the x2x Lumias shouldn't get WP9 (except marketing reasons) ;) but I'm sure gentlemen from XDA will help out eventually ;)

pizana_13

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure both are future proof. Just a matter of which platform you prefer. For android even the Nexus 4 will get updates. Galaxy Nexus came with 4.0 and is now on 4.3 so the newer Nexus 4 has a better chance. Lumia 925 came with amber so pretty sure the next update will come as well. I use both platforms so I won't bash any of them. They work good together for me. Which among both are you drawn to?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I like both actually. Android is cool but it gets stale looking with icons. I love the look and feel of windows phone. And it has all the apps I need. But with the impending GDR3 update and the MS/Nokia Deal, I feel like the best thing to do is wait. See what 2014 holds. 1080p and Quad Core on the next high end lumias, even though it probably doesnt make much of a difference, will give me more peace of mind.

pizana_13

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 5 is an upcoming device, id say wait for Nokia's upcoming device before you make the decision!

Their next device is supposedly the 1520. 6 inches is way too big for a phone. And the 929 which is a verizon exclusive. The thing I hate about Nokia is everytime a good WP comes out, its always on AT&T. Im on T-Mobile. Carrier first then phone second is my mind set.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Their next device is supposedly the 1520. 6 inches is way too big for a phone. And the 929 which is a verizon exclusive. The thing I hate about Nokia is everytime a good WP comes out, its always on AT&T. Im on T-Mobile. Carrier first then phone second is my mind set.

Well they have 6 rumored devices, and being on T-Mo you will have more choices than the rest im sure! At least you're not on sprint!

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I remember when WP8 was released, it was said that all devices would get 18mo support minimum, with upgradeability to WP9. With GDR2 I got everything I was promised on my HTC 8X. The platform just works. No tweaks, babysitting, flashing, modding required, which is good, cause you can't. I love it!!

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Most devices from AT&T will/should work on TMo. The 4G/LTE is different dependant on frequency bands. Both carriers use GSM (the global standard)for non LTE. Verizon and Sprint are still on CDMA. You would just need (providing the above is good) a carrier unlocked device. Done and done. Maybe a few APN tweaks, but that's it..

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Do what I'm going to do - go with both.

That's the answer; can't go wrong there! Both are great devices that should get updates for a long time to come. To the OP, I would say it comes down to which platform you prefer. In my opinion you're good either way. That is unless one of them doesn't support something you specifically need.

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Wait to see what the next nexus looks like and the new WP models in the next month or so. If you have a working phone, be a bit more patient.

Sent from my GT-I9505G

pizana_13

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Thats what im going to do, I heard HTC is releasing a new WP next month titled "Harmony". If it looks like the one, then i might be sold on that. As long as it has Boomsound and Beats Audio.

KK SARMA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
All Official Nokia Apps are now bought by Microsoft for 10 year license. So you can get all Nokia apps on all new MS-Nokia phones. They will be exclusive for only MS-Nokia phones but not for HTC, or Samsung or others.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
There is the proxy method that works. May take a few attempts, but I have Nokia Cinemagraph, Samsung Folders, etc, on my HTC 8X...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb