Charging advice

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
s it ok to leave my 925 on the charger all day or will it damage the battery

Our phones are designed to not over charge a battery. It will stop drawing power once it realizes it is full. There would have to be something faulty with the phone for it to damage the battery.

russshoe

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
The reason I asked is with everything turned off in the background along with data I am only getting 7 hours on a charge with the phone ildle.
I am going to do a warranty replacement with AT&T

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
When you say "Everything turned off" do you mean NFC, Bluetooth and Tap to Share also? Those were three killers on my battery...

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Our phones are designed to not over charge a battery. It will stop drawing power once it realizes it is full. There would have to be something faulty with the phone for it to damage the battery.

Not entirely true.

While it won't "damage" the battery, these batteries have a finite amount of charges. When the battery reaches 100%, it will discharge 2-3%, then recharge. Doing this over and over adds up and contributes to the deterioration of the battery's life.

It's healthiest to unplug a device as soon as it reaches 100%. That said, OP you've definitely got a defect on your hands.

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Not entirely true.

While it won't "damage" the battery, these batteries have a finite amount of charges. When the battery reaches 100%, it will discharge 2-3%, then recharge. Doing this over and over adds up and contributes to the deterioration of the battery's life.

It's healthiest to unplug a device as soon as it reaches 100%. That said, OP you've definitely got a defect on your hands.

While it's true, at the same rate of discharge, you'll need to charge it that much more the next time you charge. Overall, it's a net zero, unless you power down. Apple has the best description of how the battery works (same battery technology [LiON, or LiPO], so applies to just about all modern devices from tablets to laptops, to cell phones).
https://www.apple.com/batteries/#mn_p

If you use 25% of your battery one day, bring it back to full charge, use 50% the next day, and 25% the day after, that's ONE charge cycle, not three. Each full charge cycle diminishes the total capacity by a small amount, and the batteries are rated for many full charge cycles before they are down to 80% of original capacity.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Not entirely true.

Exactly like Ratsttam said... Each cell in a battery can survive so many cycles...it isn't like it has a 'full charge odometer' in it where every time it hits the '100' number it ticks off another checkmark, no matter if it was a 0 to 100 cycle or a 99 to 100 cycle.

To build on the net zero example, I like cookies. It is like you have a plate that can hold 100 cookies and you have a pantry full of 5000 cookies that you can eat at any point over the rest of your life.

If you eat 2 a day, for the next 50 days; and constantly replenish them you end up eating 100 cookies and are left with 4900. If you eat 100 on day one and zero on day 2-50 and then replenish the plate...you still eat 100 cookies and have 4900 in the pantry.

Now, if the phone was defective and it was straining the battery by over charging it, that is different. Also any time you charge to 100% there is going to be a short amount of time before the phone realizes it is full...that extra strain could potentially hurt the battery but I do not think it would be enough to ever notice...but would lead to the understanding it is best to unplug it if you can.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Everything but NFC what is it

NFC is the "tap to share" feature. It is a way to pair your phone with another device through proximity to send information.

How old is your phone? Just had to replace my wife's iPhone's battery after ~400 days; she only had about 20% of the battery left though; it would last 2-3 hours and die. I guess if you still have warranty though it is under a year.

Put the phone in airplane mode and see how long it will last, that turns off the radios. If your phone lives for days...the major drain could be that you just work/live in a poor signal area and your phone is constantly looking for something better.

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Now, if the phone was defective and it was straining the battery by over charging it, that is different. Also any time you charge to 100% there is going to be a short amount of time before the phone realizes it is full...that extra strain could potentially hurt the battery but I do not think it would be enough to ever notice...but would lead to the understanding it is best to unplug it if you can.
This is why it quick charges to 80%, then trickle charges the last 20%. :) Battery longevity is no joke to the manufacturers. And the charging circuits both in the charger (phone) and battery pack itself are rather advanced.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Well I got the replacement phone now I have 68 % left in the morning as opposed to 10% with the other phone

What do you mean by 68% left in the morning? How long does it take to go from 100% to 68%

If it is doing that just over night then there is something wrong with it because if I charge mine and plug it out at say 10pm and just leave it it would be the next afternoon by the time it would drop to 99%

I now have 14 apps running in the background and I use between 1-1.5% per hour if in standby and that is with 3g WiFi Bluetooth and NFC on all the time. The most I see the battery using is 19% per hour and that is when I'm using the internet on photo heavy websites and not using mobile version of the site.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
the only app running is battery peformance

I think the 3.3% is pretty legit. I think you were completely right to get the warranty claim.

What do you mean by 68% left in the morning? How long does it take to go from 100% to 68%

If it is doing that just over night then there is something wrong with it because if I charge mine and plug it out at say 10pm and just leave it it would be the next afternoon by the time it would drop to 99%

I now have 14 apps running in the background and I use between 1-1.5% per hour if in standby and that is with 3g WiFi Bluetooth and NFC on all the time. The most I see the battery using is 19% per hour and that is when I'm using the internet on photo heavy websites and not using mobile version of the site.

I think you have a Super Hero phone, haha. If you get 1% drop over 12 hours you have a straight up Jesus Christ phone, and need to put this Nokia Messiah on the news! hahaha

1% an HOUR would be pretty nice. [I have a 920 but...] When I am sleeping at night I might get 2%. A daily average, walking around and checking every 30 minutes I get ~4-5% an hour on average.

The worst is 40% an hour. There are multiple games that will do that.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I think the 3.3% is pretty legit. I think you were completely right to get the warranty claim.

I think you have a Super Hero phone, haha. If you get 1% drop over 12 hours you have a straight up Jesus Christ phone, and need to put this Nokia Messiah on the news! hahaha

1% an HOUR would be pretty nice. [I have a 920 but...] When I am sleeping at night I might get 2%. A daily average, walking around and checking every 30 minutes I get ~4-5% an hour on average.

The worst is 40% an hour. There are multiple games that will do that.

Well I'm sure that you know that most phones will take a lot longer to loose the first % after a full charge so not sure if you did read my post but I never said I was getting 12 hours per 1%

I said that I was loosing 1-1.5% per hour if the phone is left on standby with just the apps running in the background, 3g, WiFi and NFC but I forgot to mention that I also have glance on peek. I also said that the most I have lost is 19% per hour when on a photo heavy website and that was when I was testing my 925 against my Xperia Z1 which lost 16% per hour on the same test.

I don't play games on my phone or at all in fact so I can't say how much it would use in that respect.

I suggest you get rid of your battery apps if you have them and also if you could read what people have written before leaving stupid comments it would be helpful.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
the only app running is battery peformance

32% in 5.5 hours is not right. The replacement you got was either new or a refurbished phone so if it was new you have to give it some time to build up battery performance but even still 32% over 5.5 hours is not a good start.

The worst thing you can have on your phone is a battery app as they use so much battery themselves. Also with the replacement phone did you install your apps from a backup of your old phone. If you did then I think what you should do is do a hard reset and do not restore the phone when your setting it up and for the first couple of days don't put any apps on it and see how the battery is doing.

Another thing, I'm sure you are but if not then make sure you use the Nokia wall/mains charger that came with the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills