How to get Lumia 925 unlocked?

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean with HSN exactly? I know that USA T-mobile unlocks their phones after 2 months of use, and if you at least spent 50 dollars for a plan.

jay6600

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I just received my unlock code today from T-Mobile for a 925 from newegg, now I just need to find a non-Tmobile sim, 20 #'s long

Hi if haven't yet got a non t-mobile simcard to get the phone to prompt you to enter unlock code you can bring up the simlock status menu by dialling ##7820# ,you should get a simcard and a closed padlock and the box to enter your 20 digits unlock code.

Ferazzz

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking to do the exact same thing. Although I live in Canada I want to get a TMobile variant of the 925 since the hardware will work with the LTE bands that Rogers uses here in Canada. I'm looking for a RELIABLE source that I can count on to successfully unlock this device before I take a chance in purchasing a device that cannot be unlocked successfully and in turn become an expensive paper weight.
Any help guys?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I just received my unlock code today from T-Mobile for a 925 from newegg, now I just need to find a non-Tmobile sim, 20 #'s long
You don't need a non T-Mobile SIM.

You can dial ##7820 (followed by another # or CALL) with the T-Mobile SIM in the phone. After a brief wait, you should see a closed padlock and a place to key in the unlock code. After the code has been submitted, then restart the phone and dial ##7820 again to confirm it is now unlocked. If it is unlocked you will see an open padlock and a greyed-out place to enter a code.

I will say that on rare occasions you can get a false positive for unlocked even when ##7820 is dialed the first time. If that happens, wait awhile and start again to unlock the phone. Likewise, since it is possible to get a false positive, its probably a good idea to confirm it is unlocked more than one time.

Some people say this only works with the SIM out of the phone but I suspect they were bumping up against the random false positives and it was just a coincidense whether the SIM was in or out of the phone.

Here is the post where I found out about the procedure (there are other similar posts). That thread is about a 521 but I used this procedure to unlock my T-Mobile 925 two days ago as well as two different 521s for other people in the past.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...a-521-using-only-unlock-code.html#post2328962

FYI, the T-Mobile rep mentioned that T-Mobile will only issue two unlock codes to a customer in a 12 month period. So it is in anyone's best interest to have their phone unlocked at the earliest possible time. That way the clock on the unlocks will run out sooner in case they need/want to unlock other phones in the future.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
How did you get the unlock code ? Did you have to wait a certain amount of days before T-Mobile gave you the unlock code?
If you bought the phone outright, T-Mobile will email you an unlock code if the phone currently has T-Mobile service and has for at least the previous 40 days. It can sometimes be a nightmare getting it because some of the people handling the requests are morons. The first person you talk to will get your information and the phone's IMEI. They will want an explanation for why you want to unlock the phone. Then they may try to convince you to NOT unlock it. Then they will do a preliminary check to see if its eligible. If they say it is, do NOT breath a sigh of relief just yet. They will tell you the code will be sent to you within 14 days but 2 is normal.

In the case of my 925 and two other 521s I helped with, the codes did arrive within two days. In my wife's case it was a disaster.

She requested an unlock code on March 17th and was told, all was good and she should receive it within 14 days. Two days later, she got an email saying the phone can't be unlocked because her IMEI was banned from use on T-Mobile. That was quite a surprise considering they took her money for the previous 13 months and the phone worked just fine the whole time. She didn't want to go to hell for what she might say to them when she called back so set it aside for awhile.

When their first screw-up was finally reported they apologized a blue streak and swore the code would be sent ASAP. Two weeks passed and no code. So I contacted them for her. They claimed there were no records of any previous requests despite me having print outs of the chats and an email from them after the first request. Again profuse apologies and a promise by the rep to personally stay on top of the unlock coder people to make sure she got her code.

Since that was the EXACT same thing she was told the 2nd time, I called and asked to talk to a supervisor. The supervisor pulled up her account and confirmed all 3 requests and ........WAIT FOR IT......... the unlock code was documented in the account from weeks ago. I asked if as a supervisor did he have access to things the reps did not and he said no. He had no idea why they did not simply give me the code. So he personally emailed the unlock code after making sure I did not need the procedure the unlock team sends with the code. The code was good and her phone was unlocked within minutes of receiving it.

You'll never guess what she received 2 days later..... An email saying that her request for an unlock code was being rejected because she had already requested 2 unlock codes within the last 2 months. Which is true. All three requests were for the same phone and the only reason there was more than one was because THEY screwed up the first two or actually all three.

I suspect the supervisor who gave us the code has been fired for doing it right.

So hopefully you won't have a problem. Most people probably don't. But don't make any plans that absolutely depend on it being unlocked by any date. LoL

suharsh

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Unlocked my 810 without any SIM card in the phone. Thanks.

You don't need a non T-Mobile SIM.

You can dial ##7820 (followed by another # or CALL) with the T-Mobile SIM in the phone. After a brief wait, you should see a closed padlock and a place to key in the unlock code. After the code has been submitted, then restart the phone and dial ##7820 again to confirm it is now unlocked. If it is unlocked you will see an open padlock and a greyed-out place to enter a code.

I will say that on rare occasions you can get a false positive for unlocked even when ##7820 is dialed the first time. If that happens, wait awhile and start again to unlock the phone. Likewise, since it is possible to get a false positive, its probably a good idea to confirm it is unlocked more than one time.

Some people say this only works with the SIM out of the phone but I suspect they were bumping up against the random false positives and it was just a coincidense whether the SIM was in or out of the phone.

Here is the post where I found out about the procedure (there are other similar posts). That thread is about a 521 but I used this procedure to unlock my T-Mobile 925 two days ago as well as two different 521s for other people in the past.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...a-521-using-only-unlock-code.html#post2328962

FYI, the T-Mobile rep mentioned that T-Mobile will only issue two unlock codes to a customer in a 12 month period. So it is in anyone's best interest to have their phone unlocked at the earliest possible time. That way the clock on the unlocks will run out sooner in case they need/want to unlock other phones in the future.

anon(26204)

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
If you bought the phone outright, T-Mobile will email you an unlock code if the phone currently has T-Mobile service and has for at least the previous 40 days.

So question for ya.. I'm getting my phone from HSN today. I will be using it with my t-mobile sim that I've had service on since December. Which is well over 40 days. However, do the phone has to have service for 40 days or does the person/Sim have to have service for 40 days?

Also since I'm buying the 925 off contact, would I still be required to wait 40 days to unlock my device?

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
So question for ya.. I'm getting my phone from HSN today. I will be using it with my t-mobile sim that I've had service on since December. Which is well over 40 days. However, do the phone has to have service for 40 days or does the person/Sim have to have service for 40 days?

Also since I'm buying the 925 off contact, would I still be required to wait 40 days to unlock my device?p
The 40 days starts when T-Mobile detects your 925 is being used on your service. They told me that can take up to 48 hours after you insert your existing SIM card but I suspect its much less time than that.

And if your current phone has been used for 40 days and isn't unlocked and you want to have it unlocked, do that before you move the SIM card. But if you have had other phones unlocked by T-Mobile in the last year ask about any limits that apply before doing anything because my wife was told they will only unlock 2 phones per 12 month period for any customer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes