My Days On a 925 Are Almost Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry 925 peeps. I gotta leave your ranks... For this. And it was the best price I could find for it anywhere around.

Here's my reasoning.
  • T-Mo isn't bringing a flagship WP device except possibly the rumored 1525
  • If there is a 1525, what will be sacrificed to make it T-Mo's? I doubt there will be hardware additions, but subtractions are likely
  • The 1520.3 or 1520 RM 938 is capable of any/all T-Mo speeds and any other GSM carrier I might want to use in the USA
  • It's Factory Unlocked
  • Either the 930 or the 1520 - these are the only two choices for me to get a significant upgrade over the 925 unless I go CDMA and that ain't happening - that's it and the 930 isn't going to work for me on T-Mo LTE no matter what I do - plus the 930 is $100 more
  • This is the last wave of true, old time Nokia builds - get one now or gamble on an uncertain future that might not see a Windows Phone of the build quality, display and photography levels Nokia is justly famed for
  • I want that 20 MP photography goodness for my upcoming trip to Italy this fall - so waiting on T-Mo to possibly disappoint me makes no sense at this date

So when the new beast comes in the ol' 925 will get packed up to be sold to someone who will use it.

And, yes, I got Yellow. Isn't that iconic Nokia when applied to the polycarbonate unibody?

1488-1392495596.jpg

If you want a closer look at the spec: Nokia Lumia 1520 - Full phone specifications

And I'm very gratified after the fact to see some vindication for my decision here: The best Windows Phone you can buy - August 2014 | Windows Phone Central

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Sorry 925 peeps. I gotta leave your ranks... For this. And it was the best price I could find for it anywhere around.

Here's my reasoning.
  • T-Mo isn't bringing a flagship WP device except possibly the rumored 1525
  • If there is a 1525, what will be sacrificed to make it T-Mo's? I doubt there will be hardware additions, but subtractions are likely
  • The 1520.3 or 1520 RM 938 is capable of any/all T-Mo speeds and any other GSM carrier I might want to use in the USA
  • It's Factory Unlocked
  • Either the 930 or the 1520 - these are the only two choices for me to get a significant upgrade over the 925 unless I go CDMA and that ain't happening - that's it and the 930 isn't going to work for me on T-Mo LTE no matter what I do - plus the 930 is $100 more
  • This is the last wave of true, old time Nokia builds - get one now or gamble on an uncertain future that might not see a Windows Phone of the build quality, display and photography levels Nokia is justly famed for
  • I want that 20 MP photography goodness for my upcoming trip to Italy this fall - so waiting on T-Mo to possibly disappoint me makes no sense at this date

So when the new beast comes in the ol' 925 will get packed up to be sold to someone who will use it.

And, yes, I got Yellow. Isn't that iconic Nokia when applied to the polycarbonate unibody?

View attachment 77550

If you want a closer look at the spec: Nokia Lumia 1520 - Full phone specifications

And I'm very gratified after the fact to see some vindication for my decision here: The best Windows Phone you can buy - August 2014 | Windows Phone Central

Nice decision! The 1520 is a great device, however it may not take the same high quality photos at night as your 925 did however it will still be amazing, and the 1520 has a much faster camera.

Until Microsoft decide to release Windows Phone 64bit... Now is not future proof... Lol

No, just no.

32 bit will last very long, especially because of the Snapdragon 800 which is a powerhouse. PCs adopted 64 bit years ago and yet most apps still have 32 bit compatibility.

The 1520 is definitely future proof.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
What makes you believe WP is heading in that direction???
iPhone is rolling in 64bit platform, recently HTC released the first 64bit Android. So it makes sense to release a 64bit Windows Phone. But i don't think it will come for a long time. Maybe a beta at the end of 2015

nielsniels

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Well unless you need more than 3 GB or RAM on your phone, you don't really need 64 bit, right?

Also I think Microsoft is very much going to continue Nokia's focus on camera quality, because Microsoft made a deal with Canon not long ago, to be allowed to use Canon's photo processing algorithms or something.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
iPhone is rolling in 64bit platform, recently HTC released the first 64bit Android. So it makes sense to release a 64bit Windows Phone. But i don't think it will come for a long time. Maybe a beta at the end of 2015

The point of 64 bit is the ability to use more RAM than 3.25 GB, since no phone has that much at the moment there is no real point.

iPhone's move to 64 bit has served more as a marketing gimmick than a benefit to consumers.

64 bit does not automatically make a 32 bit chip obsolete, the 64 bit phone HTC has made is still weaker than the Lumia 1520's Snapdragon 800.

In short, the 1520 is future proof and if it continues to power a smooth experience today, it'll most likely provide a smooth experience in the future.

And Microsoft's approach should be to get the necessary 32 bit apps before they even think about moving to 64 bit.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
The point of 64 bit is the ability to use more RAM than 3.25 GB, since no phone has that much at the moment there is no real point.

iPhone's move to 64 bit has served more as a marketing gimmick than a benefit to consumers.

64 bit does not automatically make a 32 bit chip obsolete, the 64 bit phone HTC has made is still weaker than the Lumia 1520's Snapdragon 800.

In short, the 1520 is future proof and if it continues to power a smooth experience today, it'll most likely provide a smooth experience in the future.

And Microsoft's approach should be to get the necessary 32 bit apps before they even think about moving to 64 bit.
You have some logic points that I agreed, however; I owned an iPhone 5 before and let me tell you that is not really a gimmick. In a 64bit environment, I noticed how apps, media and high intense tools run smoothly without any degradation in the performance. It is not just how much ram the device need to have, you will notice performance boost as well.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
You have some logic points that I agreed, however; I owned an iPhone 5 before and let me tell you that is not really a gimmick. In a 64bit environment, I noticed how apps, media and high intense tools run smoothly without any degradation in the performance. It is not just how much ram the device need to have, you will notice performance boost as well.

Applications run smoother on iOS than on any other OS because of different reasons, 64 bit is not the sole reason for this and a very small factor.

Applications need less and more powerful cores, Samsung and Snapdragon got into the specs war and kept making processors with more and more cores which started degrading performance.

Apple was the only company to stick with a powerful processor that was dual core which makes the phone much faster than Android and Windows Phone rivals.

To add to that fact, optimization plays a very key role in this. Just as an example of optimization, did you know that the PS4 and Xbox One have processing power equivalent to that of a mid-range PC, but since the games are so well optimized specifically for the consoles they run much much better.

Same is the case with iPhone, there are very few iPhones with powerful dual core processors making app optimization a breeze and ensuring a very smooth experience.

64 bit has barely anything to do with this.

And next year Snapdragon will release their Snapdragon 810 8 core 64 bit chips, I bet that Snapdragon 800 will beat them because it has fewer more powerful cores.

Luckily there are some companies, trying to turn this around, Nvidia is making a 64 bit dual core SOC called the Tegra K1, but sadly it's only for tablets and will probably only be optimized for Android(not Windows Phone).

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Applications run smoother on iOS than on any other OS because of different reasons, 64 bit is not the sole reason for this and a very small factor.

Applications need less and more powerful cores, Samsung and Snapdragon got into the specs war and kept making processors with more and more cores which started degrading performance.

Apple was the only company to stick with a powerful processor that was dual core which makes the phone much faster than Android and Windows Phone rivals.

To add to that fact, optimization plays a very key role in this. Just as an example of optimization, did you know that the PS4 and Xbox One have processing power equivalent to that of a mid-range PC, but since the games are so well optimized specifically for the consoles they run much much better.

Same is the case with iPhone, there are very few iPhones with powerful dual core processors making app optimization a breeze and ensuring a very smooth experience.

64 bit has barely anything to do with this.

And next year Snapdragon will release their Snapdragon 810 8 core 64 bit chips, I bet that Snapdragon 800 will beat them because it has fewer more powerful cores.

Luckily there are some companies, trying to turn this around, Nvidia is making a 64 bit dual core SOC called the Tegra K1, but sadly it's only for tablets and will probably only be optimized for Android(not Windows Phone).

not entirely true
snapchat,whatsapp,FB etc freeze up on android and ios more than on WP for me
64bit is a marketing gimmick at the moment and windows phone+snapdragon combo can easily beat an android+nvidia/snapdragon/mediatek combo or an iphone in terms of real world performance depending on apps,usage etc
i own alot of ipads,nexus 5,L720 and L820 and noticed varied performance based on different apps and usage but overall android lost out the most in terms of battery life,optimisation etc so even the tegra k1 wont matter because the os itself isnt properly optimised

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
not entirely true
snapchat,whatsapp,FB etc freeze up on android and ios more than on WP for me
64bit is a marketing gimmick at the moment and windows phone+snapdragon combo can easily beat an android+nvidia/snapdragon/mediatek combo or an iphone in terms of real world performance depending on apps,usage etc
i own alot of ipads,nexus 5,L720 and L820 and noticed varied performance based on different apps and usage but overall android lost out the most in terms of battery life,optimisation etc so even the tegra k1 wont matter because the os itself isnt properly optimised

I'm not even talking about Android here, but none of the apps you've mentioned above crash for me on my Android device.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It looks like the OP has already made a decision on which device to get, so this discussion about Android and iOS is not relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss