Green tinted display

Nelson Campos

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Lumia 925 in Germany in May 2014 after having a 820 for over a year. As soon as I got the phone I was shocked on how green the display looked. In comparison to the 820 (that is also a AMOLED) the 925 looks like a piece of sheet. I was so surprised cause Nokia praised that display so high when it came out, and I had seen it in various videos online and it always looked gorgeous to me. So I thought, ok, I have a problem with mine. Went back to the store, we compared with another one, and it looked exactly the same.
Let me tell you now, this is something u can't adjust on the display settings. U can set it to warmer but the warmer u go the greenish it gets. And as of right now, there is no Hue slider for the 925.
I am putting the phone for sale and thats when I found something really intriguing... I was looking for pictures online and I found that the early models appear to have a balanced and a pure-whites display, whereas the more recent ones don?t. By a great difference! Huge! So I saved both pictures, and bare in mind, one is from 2013 and the other from 2014. And none of them seem like renders.
Do you have a early-version 925? How does your display compare to the one on the second picture? Let's change some opinions to let us know if Nokia pulled a trick on us and changed the display after the buzz was gone....nokia-925-three-quarter-side-shot-007.jpg NokiaLumia92513mk21758090.jpg

Last edited:

Nelson Campos

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Are u on window 8 or 8.1....
Is your phone's camera giving yellow/greenish tint in low lights??

I'm sorry for leaving that out. I'm on 8.1 but I bought it as a 8.0 and it looked the same..

If you look at the display head-on does it look green? Or does it only look that way from the side?

If you look at it head on it looks "alright". Still a bit green for my taste but the problem starts as soon as u tilt it a little tiny bit. And it worsens dramatically as you keep on increasing the angle. AMOLEDs shouldn't suffer from poor viewing angles problems, not at this level anyway. As soon as you go off that sweet-spot it becomes green.

I was looking at the brand new 930 last week which has a gorgeous display, one of/ or the best I've ever seen and that particular phone has a Hue adjustment under the display settings. Here's a screenshot of it

wp_ss_20140916_0001.jpg

Yesterday I took some pictures at my phone and I decided to adjust the Hue on Photoshop. And the result ladies and gentlemen...

Comparison.jpg

And now bare in mind that blues arent all that affected with this problem. Whites, reds, yellows and sepia colors and brown colors are. Just look at those yellows and the red cone bellow the airbus. So.. How hard can it be? Is the Lumia 925 getting that display adjusting parameter or what? I'm desperate here and about to change phone... What do you thing about this? DO you have the same problem? Does it affect you or it doesnt bother you that much?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 925, Lumia 820, Galaxy Sx, all of them have green tint on screen. But you can make some adjustments and get better results on profile option.

djslofstra

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I only notice a greenish color under an angle, this is normal for a phone with an AMOLED display. You shouldn't look at your phone from the side though, the front of your phone is much more beautiful. XD From the side it isn't as bad as Nexus 1 though.
From the front it looks very well to me. The whites are white and all the colors don't seem to be highly over saturated.

Nelson Campos

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 925, Lumia 820, Galaxy Sx, all of them have green tint on screen. But you can make some adjustments and get better results on profile option.

I only notice a greenish color under an angle, this is normal for a phone with an AMOLED display. You shouldn't look at your phone from the side though, the front of your phone is much more beautiful. XD From the side it isn't as bad as Nexus 1 though.
From the front it looks very well to me. The whites are white and all the colors don't seem to be highly over saturated.

This is not true for the 820. The 820 does not look greenish or loses color at an angle. I mean, of course, it will, but a very very wide one. And that's ever truer for the 930... I'll try and post a picture of it

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
This is not true for the 820. The 820 does not look greenish or loses color at an angle. I mean, of course, it will, but a very very wide one. And that's ever truer for the 930... I'll try and post a picture of it

I had one and my fried too. Both green tint. It's the same display from Samsung and all Samsung AMOLED have green tint as well.

Nelson Campos

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
When have you bought your 925? I'm trying to establish if the early 925s had better screens that the latter. Like I got mine August this year.. And my pictures never look greenish.. They are a bit underexposed at times but as far as color accuracy and focus they're pretty there.. But I think I've seen a topic somewhere about that. Some 925s have a problem with the camera. Look it up, u might have a faulty one.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Again, another video between the 720 and the 925. The 720 is an LCD so has pure whites and there is no visible difference between the two of them. At the same angle the "newer-generation" 925 has a terrible green tint to it, further evidence that the display seems to be different.

Comparativo: Lumia 720 vs Lumia 925 | Tudocelular.com - YouTube

Share your personal experience

The 925 in this video is clearly green. All of them have green tint, this is inherent to AMOLED Display. Just give up, if this upset you, just change it for 920 or 930.

Nelson Campos

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I recently found that my Lumia is a 925.4. Trying to find the differences between versions and i stumbled upon this

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-925/284573-925-vs-925-1-a.html

I had one and my fried too. Both green tint. It's the same display from Samsung and all Samsung AMOLED have green tint as well.

Well I will also have an 820 in a day or two so I will certainly post my findings. ;)

I was able to get a hold of my old 820 for a few minutes so I made a quick video.

It's not a big thing and u can tell the difference best live. Still you can tell there's a greenish tint and faded colors on the 925 that prevail accurate on the 820 at all times

Last edited by a moderator:

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
What's with these 925.x models? I've never heard of these models. It just says 925 on the back of my phone too. Maybe they were hardware revisions? It's been known to happen with devices in the past.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
When have you bought your 925? I'm trying to establish if the early 925s had better screens that the latter. Like I got mine August this year.. And my pictures never look greenish.. They are a bit underexposed at times but as far as color accuracy and focus they're pretty there.. But I think I've seen a topic somewhere about that. Some 925s have a problem with the camera. Look it up, u might have a faulty one.

I'm late with my reply, but I got my 925 in late February of this year. I usually only notice a greenish tint in pictures when I shoot in darkish situations. Actually, that's not totally true because some of my pics were in sunlight. But I usually only really notice it when I'm focusing on something that has yellow in it. Odd, but it doesn't really bother me. I also have a 920 and an 810 and don't see that issue in those phones' cameras.

Nelson Campos

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I only noticed that this week when my friend's 930 arrived. The 930's display is gorgeous.

I simple can't deal with that, it really annoys me now.

It would be really nice if Microsoft would update the display settings menu to have Hue adjustments like other phones. The Lumia 925 is otherwise a good phone (not the one I had though.. mine was a piece of **** all the way through, from battery and heating issues to the display)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss