925 AMOLED backlight?

crisdiaz01

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
AMOLED screens are supposed to have the pixels completely off and completely black right?
Because when o turn on my 925, I cam see a backlight on (like if on an LCD, but not as bright). Its clearly not completely black, and its really visible in complete darkness

Even on glance its visible, with the rest of the screen having a slight backlight.

Is this normal?

josh715m

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
In complete darkness while the glance screen is active, there are also son black spots.
I wondered the same, but then somebody explained that it depends on several factors like the brand/quality/type/.... of the screen. Still we get deeper blacks and greater contrasts than lcd screens....

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
odd, I didnt get any of this on my 925's screen, it was always pitch black when showing a black pixel, I have gotten the ligh/black patches frequently after I turn my screen off after being on for 10 or so minutes (they fade away within the next minute or two though)

Munter2

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
odd, I didnt get any of this on my 925's screen, it was always pitch black when showing a black pixel, I have gotten the ligh/black patches frequently after I turn my screen off after being on for 10 or so minutes (they fade away within the next minute or two though)
I think what you and some other people are seeing is a memory effect which will go away in a few minutes and not light bleed through.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I thought of this, considering the AMOLED Galaxy S II I picked up exhibits the exact same behavior, which struck me as odd.

I also heard somewhere before that its potentially normal, with someone inquiring about how it seems the black pixels are not completely 100% off, but is still much dimmer than a comparable back-lit LCD.

huh.

crisdiaz01

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I thought of this, considering the AMOLED Galaxy S II I picked up exhibits the exact same behavior, which struck me as odd.

I also heard somewhere before that its potentially normal, with someone inquiring about how it seems the black pixels are not completely 100% off, but is still much dimmer than a comparable back-lit LCD.

huh.
I've compared my 925 and 521 screens, and it looks like the same "type" of "backlight", albeit it definitely isn't as bright or noticeable. In normal lighting conditions, it truly looks black with no backlight or glow. However in complete darkness, a faint glow is noticeable.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I have seen two theories posited:

One is that depending on power distribution circuitry, there may be the slightest charge when the display is initialized.

The second is that due to the display panel, polarization tech, etc, the light from those pixels is getting spread out.

One test would be a completely black "active" screen, I suppose.

crisdiaz01

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I have seen two theories posited:

One is that depending on power distribution circuitry, there may be the slightest charge when the display is initialized.

The second is that due to the display panel, polarization tech, etc, the light from those pixels is getting spread out.

One test would be a completely black "active" screen, I suppose.

What I've noticed in mine is that it's on all the screen(the faint glow).
I have tried that "active" black screen(completely black picture), but the glow is still visible)

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
What I've noticed in mine is that it's on all the screen(the faint glow).
I have tried that "active" black screen(completely black picture), but the glow is still visible)

That would lend credence to the idea of some power being applied even when pixels are "off".

Nelson Campos

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Both my old 820, 925 or current 930 are pitch black. Both the 820 and 925 have glance and none of mine had any glow to it. I'd say there's something wrong with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs