A phone that compares to the 925?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hey there everyone!
I've been wondering as of late if there is a Windows phone that actually beats the Lumia 925 all round.
I realize the internal memory is low as a standard and the processor is dated.

The 925 I have is performing in the upper reaches of flawless lately.
I have another smartphone on a different OS with a 20 mp camera with gobs of ram and a processor that doesn't seem to serve as well as the 925.

I know we all want or need top of the heap.
A second look at my 925 is leaving me wondering why we have to have more?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The only Windows Phones with newer processors are the Lumia 1520 and the HTC One M8. However, the 1520 is huge. The HTC One M8 might be a disappointment due to the camera; it also lacks call/SMS blocking, since that is a Lumia-only feature.

I'm in the same boat with the 920. I'm waiting for the flagship coming later this year, since there is nothing new available now that meets my needs better than my 920.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Umm...the L930? I could be wrong but doesn't that have the same chipset as the 1520 without being huge. Awesome handset in my experience and I also own a 925 (which I still love but is not as good in any department).

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Umm...the L930? I could be wrong but doesn't that have the same chipset as the 1520 without being huge. Awesome handset in my experience and I also own a 925 (which I still love but is not as good in any department).
The problem is that the 930 will not get LTE on US carriers. It also lacks Glance.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
This thread was kind of born from a compliment received from someone while out to dinner this evening.
An attractive lady seated next to us asked what phone I was using to shoot photos for the "post your eats" thread.

I've seldom had anyone ever care about what phone I had.
It was the wife who actually went on about the Windows phone tonight.

The gal asking was extremely impressed with the Lumia camera compared to her Galaxy.
She used my phone to shoot a few pics for grins.

I found all this interesting because "joe phone user" seems to care less in general.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This thread was kind of born from a compliment received from someone while out to dinner this evening.
An attractive lady seated next to us asked what phone I was using to shoot photos for the "post your eats" thread.

I've seldom had anyone ever care about what phone I had.
It was the wife who actually went on about the Windows phone tonight.

The gal asking was extremely impressed with the Lumia camera compared to her Galaxy.
She used my phone to shoot a few pics for grins.

I found all this interesting because "joe phone user" seems to care less in general.

My avatar picture (which is cropped to fit the dimensions for this site) was taken by a friend of mine with my 920. She has a Samsung Galaxy S5, but the pictures she took with her device didn't turn out as well as those taken with my device.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
My avatar picture (which is cropped to fit the dimensions for this site) was taken by a friend of mine with my 920. She has a Samsung Galaxy S5, but the pictures she took with her device didn't turn out as well as those taken with my device.

:)
Still an excellent avatar image however!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
:)
Still an excellent avatar image however!

My friend knows photography, so she knows how to get decent portraits. Her device's camera was lacking, though.

She had no issues using the camera on my 920, even though she never touched a Windows Phone previously.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The Z1s I have seems very difficult for me to use as far as the camera.
Been fiddling with it for days and I have trouble getting the same results I do with Lumia Pureview shooter.

I have to lean toward the Lumia for photography.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
830 maybe?

it's available on US carrier get SD card slot and snapdragon 400 isn't too bulky
glance is there 10 MP Camera with Denim Firmware Later make a good deal.

oh yeah it has SD card slot too. and the physical form close enough with 930

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
830 maybe?

it's available on US carrier get SD card slot and snapdragon 400 isn't too bulky
glance is there 10 MP Camera with Denim Firmware Later make a good deal.

oh yeah it has SD card slot too. and the physical form close enough with 930

I don't think the 830 is worth the money at this time, due to the processor and camera.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
This may seem weird.
I feel the old 2 core 925 can't be topped by other phones for daily use.
I'm not dismissing the features of the 1020, 1520, 930 or the latest 4 core phones.

I'm just rejustifying the 925's place as a success for users who are currently satisfied.
Of course the need for hardware upgrades is part of this game.

What would be the need for an upgrade when an older phone runs so well?

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
This may seem weird.
I feel the old 2 core 925 can't be topped by other phones for daily use.
I'm not dismissing the features of the 1020, 1520, 930 or the latest 4 core phones.

I'm just rejustifying the 925's place as a success for users who are currently satisfied.
Of course the need for hardware upgrades is part of this game.

What would be the need for an upgrade when an older phone runs so well?

I feel exactly the same - part of me yearns for a 1520 to upgrade from my 920, but I know if I did I would just be disappointed and end up regretting not waiting for a new flagship. I was chatting with a long time android user several days ago and he asked my opinion on getting a windows phone - I told him that the 920 was the way to go. Seeing as the price is the same as the 535 its a no brainer. I got my 920 for ?3.50 x 24months last year (Tesco upgrade plan) which is ?80 odd. 535 is selling for ?79.99. I would argue it's one of the best phones ever made and it will be a sad day when I do upgrade it, I can't envisage myself selling it.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Thought briefly about selling my 925.

I just can't do it...when I look at the phones profile out of the feather case it's the most elegant phone device I've ever seen.

My brother-in-law asked me how I liked my Samsung after seeing it at dinner a while back.
I was a bit taken aback and didn't know how to respond.

He was surprised to learn that it was an ancient Microsoft offering being an iDevice user.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion nothing really compares to it. Don't sell it! I miss my 925 :straight: :)

I don't want to spoil it but I have the 925 and 930 and if I had to let one go it would be the 925.
The main reason is the screen size.
I use the 925 with a qi shell which increases the thickness and "covers" the nice design so the outer dimensions are about the same but i get a bigger screen.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking the 830 as well because of its nice build, great screen and microSD support.

Someone asked me about my 925 the previous Tuesday. I was subbing for a friend's bowling team and one of the women on his team asked me, "What phone is that?" She had some small Android and seemed a bit impressed.

qwertyaa

Banned
Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I have L1020, but it's to huge for me. L925 has identical size, but I hate the big camera hump. Also it's to heavy for me. 158 grams. I want to know if L925 can shoot as good as L1020 camera's images? Or I will be disappointed? For me it doesn't matter the number of pixels. I care about color representation and low light images. Also the shoot time between images is also important for me.
Posted by Lumia 1020

All5horizons

Sep 4, 2007
Visit site
I've been thinking the same thing & couldn't agree more. I picked up a 925 off of Ebay a few weeks ago to tide me over until there's a 'normal' flagship on ATT. I can't believe how much of an upgrade it seems to be in comparison to my 920. The industrial design has more than held up over the past two years. The weight & thinness are in line with current WPs & competitors. The screen size at 4.5 is smaller than most current flagships, but I still think its in the cellphone sweet spot for most people. The non-expandable 16g memory is not issue for me now the way it was when the phone first came out. My coverage is good, data costs have decreased and I've bought into the MS cloud services so 16gs is functional for me. The processor is dated but still does very well with the Dev Preview. Of the first year WP 8 devices, I think the 925 has aged the best.

*A few disclosures. First, the 925 I bought is in excellent condition. The is very little cosmetic wear & tear so it is like a new phone. Second, I put a wireless charge coil into phone itself so I don't need to use the stock charge cover for wireless charging.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism