Nokia Lumia 928 with PureView camera and aluminum body

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
it'd be nice if WP8 had the option, like WP7, where the external memory became part of the system.

Either way (16GB or 32GB) I'm getting whichever comes out first.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm anxious to see the real specs of this phone. If it has only 16GB, I'll be disappointed. If it has no SD slot, I'll be disappointed. But why in the world downgrade the sensor? Doesn't 920 have 8.7MP, and this one leaked with only 8? That won't be a deal breaker for me, but it would be a letdown.

Megapixels don't mean as much as people make them out to be

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's what HTC keeps saying about the One...

HTC has the right idea, they just don't realize that there are other factors that contribute to good photographic quality, like proper lens sourcing and writing outstanding processing software. If Nokia made a phone with a 5MP sensor with larger pixels but kept the same lens and software, it would do better in low light than the 920 and have less noise all around.

So why didn't Nokia do that then? If I had a guess, I'd say it's because the marketers told the engineers that they needed a 8.7MP sensor to sell their phones. And they were right. Photographers would have appreciated the smaller yet better sensor, but we wouldn't have made up for the sales lost by people who have been trained to think that there's any sort of noticeable difference between 8.0 and 8.7MP- all else being equal. The 920 HAD to succeed. Nokia has everything riding on WP8. They couldn't give anyone a reason (real or fabricated) to discount the phone offhand, so that's a sacrifice that had to be made. HTC can afford to experiment a little because they have fingers in every pie. If they screw it up (which it looks like they might), then it's going to reinforce the false notion that MP means anything at all, which is sad, but everyone else will work around it.

Last edited:

digitalsyrup

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I've been waiting for my mobile contract to expire..any word if this phone is coming to Canada? Either way, if I can unlock this, I would. I know Rogers is carrying a majority of Windows Phone devices here but I'd rather not give them any money.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm anxious to see the real specs of this phone. If it has only 16GB, I'll be disappointed. If it has no SD slot, I'll be disappointed. But why in the world downgrade the sensor? Doesn't 920 have 8.7MP, and this one leaked with only 8? That won't be a deal breaker for me, but it would be a letdown.
Megapixels don't mean as much as people make them out to be
With more than $10K in camera equipment, I realize that. The point is that it would be a downgrade, and one without a point.

So would it force you to pass on the 928? Macphisto, alluded that the Catwalk might hit Verizon first, so there is that possibility if you want to forego the 928.
It wouldn't force me to pass, but I'd think about it. I'm less likely to pass on such a thing for one reason only - we have two upgrades left on our plan for now, and my wife, while geeky, is less geeky than me, and the wonderful woman that she is, she is willing to take a hand-me-down phone from me. :grin:

it'd be nice if WP8 had the option, like WP7, where the external memory became part of the system.
Either way (16GB or 32GB) I'm getting whichever comes out first.
That has its pros and cons. WP7 was never supposed to have the capability of SD cards, but a couple of the phones had slots, so at the last minute, Microsoft made compensation. It had to be a card that met certain specs (didn't look into it because I didn't need it), and once put in, the card became a committed part of the phone. I don't know what happened if you took it out, but taking it out was not recommended. The Focus and the Trophy are two phones that I know of that had slots. With the Trophy, though, you had to disassemble the phone to get to that slot.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
With more than $10K in camera equipment, I realize that. The point is that it would be a downgrade, and one without a point.

It might not be a downgrade. If it comes from a different manufacturer that makes a sensor that has better clarity, light-gathering capabilities and/or a larger physical size but opted to go with 8.0 instead of 8.7 to achieve that, then it's possible that it would be better than the 8.7MP one in the 920.

locokip

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I guess the 16GB internal wouldn't be terrible if it supported external micro SD, but can you download music and videos to the external memory using Xbox music since Zune is no longer supported? Sorry, I'm still on 7.8 and a little concerned over losing Zune usability.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I guess the 16GB internal wouldn't be terrible if it supported external micro SD, but can you download music and videos to the external memory using Xbox music since Zune is no longer supported? Sorry, I'm still on 7.8 and a little concerned over losing Zune usability.
I would like an answer to this as well. Are we expected to have storage indexing issues like that of the Surface RT?

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
That has its pros and cons. WP7 was never supposed to have the capability of SD cards, but a couple of the phones had slots, so at the last minute, Microsoft made compensation. It had to be a card that met certain specs (didn't look into it because I didn't need it), and once put in, the card became a committed part of the phone. I don't know what happened if you took it out, but taking it out was not recommended. The Focus and the Trophy are two phones that I know of that had slots. With the Trophy, though, you had to disassemble the phone to get to that slot.

I upgraded the memory in my Trophy. It wasn't a big deal, but it does require a full factory reset. The 'Reinstaller' app made it handy to get all of my apps back on it. Taking the card out means it won't function until you put it back in or factory reset, again.

I'm just saying it'd be nice to have an option to tell WP8 to use the external SD as system memory or treat it as external storage the way it does, now. However, I don't have any illusions that it'll happen. AND, it won't stop me from getting the 928 on launch day for full price so I can keep my unlimited data plan.

In our phones that support external SD cards (Droid, iPhone), we usually don't take them out, anyway.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
2-e1363092510750.jpg

Lumia 928 Pops up on Verizon’s Servers again; This time in Red, White, Black and Cyan : My Nokia Blog

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
awesome profile pic

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
lol. While funny, that's not entirely true

I suppose if you have a Verizon world phone with the right kind of SIM slot (or a SIM cutter/adapter) and the means to break the carrier restrictions on your device, then yes, you can get it to work on a US GSM network like T-Mobile. It means that you void the warranty and have to do all your own support and upgrades, and I don't know if you can get LTE to work, etc. If someone is asking that question here, it probably means they aren't the type to want to do that, otherwise they'd be on a phone hacking forum trying to figure out the steps for their specific device.

So to the layperson: No, you can't just pop your T-Mobile SIM in any old Verizon or Sprint phone and expect it to work.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I suppose if you have a Verizon world phone with the right kind of SIM slot (or a SIM cutter/adapter) and the means to break the carrier restrictions on your device, then yes, you can get it to work on a US GSM network like T-Mobile. It means that you void the warranty and have to do all your own support and upgrades, and I don't know if you can get LTE to work, etc. If someone is asking that question here, it probably means they aren't the type to want to do that, otherwise they'd be on a phone hacking forum trying to figure out the steps for their specific device.

So to the layperson: No, you can't just pop your T-Mobile SIM in any old Verizon or Sprint phone and expect it to work.

Actually I agree with cckgz4 . If you've been following high end smartphones at all lately on Verizon, they are all 'world phones' coming with the SIM slot factory unlocked - meaning that you absolutely CAN stick in your GSM SIM card (cut to the right size but dollars to donuts it will be microSIM) and the phone will function just fine. SIM card cutters are like $9 on eBay.

This is an agreement they had to sign up to with the FCC when they purchased the 700MHz(c) LTE band - they are not allowed to SIM lock their devices.

Here's the actual text according to the FCC's CFR Title 47 Part 27.16 paragraph (e):

(e) Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b) of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks.

Believe it or not it was GOOGLE of all people that pressured the FCC in to making this a requirement! Guess we have them to thank for that then eh? (Never thought I'd be uttering those words.....)

Also - given Nokia's long history of making 'world' phones I would say there's every likliehood this will support four of the major 3G bands for the SIM slot (pentaband is still rare as I believe there's one 3G frequencey that's only used somewhere in APAC). Most of the Nokia handsets I've come across support 850/900/1900/2100Mhz 3G bands meaning they will work in the US and Europe. LTE obviously won't work - different radio technology.

I don't see how this would in any way void any warranty or carrier restriction - particularly if you buy the phone outright as you then own it outright (i.e. not tied to a contract sue to subsidized handset). You're not circumventing anything at all to do this, merely putting in a GSM SIM card. And it's been well evidenced in the 920 forum that those people running the 920 on Straight Talk or other MVNO's have received the latest Portico update just as if they were on a mainstream carrier.

Sorry to trash your post but I think you're just factually incorrect.

I for one, will be seriously looking at this handset when it's released as my potential next and I'm currently on Straight Talk.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss