Nokia Lumia 928 with PureView camera and aluminum body

waym1962

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
They do it for processor cores and RAM too even while admitting that on lower specs that use less power WP still runs better than high powered Android devices.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
They do it for processor cores and RAM too even while admitting that on lower specs that use less power WP still runs better than high powered Android devices.

Truth^. My old tech Trophy is just as fast and fluid as the day I bought it and it's running a single core.

The whole spec thing is getting completely out of hand. At what point can the human eye differentiate 720 vs. 1080 on a 5" screen?

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Truth^. My old tech Trophy is just as fast and fluid as the day I bought it and it's running a single core.

The whole spec thing is getting completely out of hand. At what point can the human eye differentiate 720 vs. 1080 on a 5" screen?

You can when the 1080 screen is craptastic PenTile ;)

ayejay0601

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
They chose to switch to the aluminum to make it lighter (pro) but thebiggest issue with the aluminum is that it will scratch very easily (con)

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
They chose to switch to the aluminum to make it lighter (pro) but thebiggest issue with the aluminum is that it will scratch very easily (con)

I would not be worried about that. The aluminium Symbian devices Nokia made (N8 + E7) were very durable despite them being aluminium. Keys or coins could not make scratches to my E7 even if I tried.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Do Verizon phones work on T-Mobile?

Traditionally cdma carrier phones are not compatible with gsm carrier devices. so verizon and sprint phones never worked with att and tmobile phones.

However... someone on WP central stated that most newer LTE Verizon phones were coming unlocked, and that the 8x on Verizon also had a SIM card tray. I went to the Microsoft store yesterday and the associate confirmed it and showed me the SIM card tray. So, I plan on trying out the new Verizon Nokia flagship with a mobile SIM card and see how it goes. Of course I'll probably have to configure things like mms settings but its worth giving it a shot if the new 928 will have a SIM card like the 8x does. :)

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Traditionally cdma carrier phones are not compatible with gsm carrier devices. so verizon and sprint phones never worked with att and tmobile phones.

However... someone on WP central stated that most newer LTE Verizon phones were coming unlocked, and that the 8x on Verizon also had a SIM card tray. I went to the Microsoft store yesterday and the associate confirmed it and showed me the SIM card tray. So, I plan on trying out the new Verizon Nokia flagship with a mobile SIM card and see how it goes. Of course I'll probably have to configure things like mms settings but its worth giving it a shot if the new 928 will have a SIM card like the 8x does. :)

The SIM card is for LTE and not the 3G (which most of the voice still travels over), the 3G for voice still uses the DIN or EIDEN or what ever the heck it is. (too many acronyms to remember in my moderate age). AFAIK. I could be wrong it happens often.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
The SIM card is for LTE and not the 3G (which most of the voice still travels over), the 3G for voice still uses the DIN or EIDEN or what ever the heck it is. (too many acronyms to remember in my moderate age). AFAIK. I could be wrong it happens often.

There is a thread floating around here where someone mentioned that they were using a Verizon 8x on T-Mobile. Let me see if I can find it and I'll supply the link. Un momento :)

I couldn't find the exact one, but someone commented on this thread

"If you've been following high end smartphones at all lately on Verizon, they are all 'world phones' coming with the SIM slot factory unlocked - meaning that you absolutely CAN stick in your GSM SIM card (cut to the right size but dollars to donuts it will be microSIM) and the phone will function just fine."

Also the post below me also states something similar.

Last edited:

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
New Verizon phones use the SIM card just like a GSM phone does. When I upgraded my sister and mom's phones (to 822s) the numbers got set up on the wrong phones. All we had to do to fix it was swap the SIM cards and it switched their numbers. I love that Verizon is all aboard with SIM cards now.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The SIM cards are there because of LTE which is GSM based. All Verizon smartphones have GSM radios in them. My Trophy is a world phone with a GSM & CDMA radio but no SIM card. Verizon hopes to use LTE for data & voice on all its smartphones by the end of 2014.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Looking to jump ship from 'ole T-Mo in April or May. We've been favoring AT&T because of their support of Windows Phone, but this could shift the balance to Verizon. Both have about the same coverage out here in Phoenix, so it may just come down to who has the best phone deal in the next 6-10 weeks.

I surely hope they wouldn't downgrade it to only 16GB internal memory from the 920's 32. My wife and I are still using our T-Mo HD7's (7.8), but at 2 years old, they are starting to freeze up on a weekly basis. They've been great phones though. Just hate the data performance on T-Mo.
if u upgrade your device on mobile your speeds will improve. Hd7 is 3G only
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
In the pictures that have been posted, I wonder if anyone has them with the EXIF intact? I'm curious about the ISO settings. On the motorcycle ones it was ISO800, which explained the grain. I'd like to see the full data on the beach and theme park shots.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
In the pictures that have been posted, I wonder if anyone has them with the EXIF intact? I'm curious about the ISO settings. On the motorcycle ones it was ISO800, which explained the grain. I'd like to see the full data on the beach and theme park shots.

WP central reported that some of them have the exif info, but I don't remember which ones. I'm sure its in the last couple of posts about the 928 photos.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The SIM cards are there because of LTE which is GSM based. All Verizon smartphones have GSM radios in them. My Trophy is a world phone with a GSM & CDMA radio but no SIM card. Verizon hopes to use LTE for data & voice on all its smartphones by the end of 2014.

Take a peek underneath the battery. You might be surprised :)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The SIM is not just for LTE, but also is because the phone is a world phone complete with GSM radios.

Trophy is indeed a world phone, but a phone could not be a world phone without GSM radios which require the use of a SIM. The SIM slot is there - I pulled the SIM out of mine before getting rid of my day one Trophy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6