Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Global Posts
    1,107 Global Posts
    Anybody else excited about Catwalk?
    I'm actually slightly more keen to see Catwalk revealed than EOS. Mostly because i just want compact device with no nonsense, iPhone of the Windows Phone world. Couple of years ago I would have wanted the device with everything inside, but after iPad (now Vivo Tab) my phone use has transformed to be more of a tool than media device.
    Also i'm sucker for great looking and feeling devices and i'm really interested to see how the aluminium Catwalk ends up.

Planning to do the switch from Lumia 920, though certainly still keeping Lumia 920.

I have an iPhone 5 and I am ready to get the WP8. I am going to wait to see what the Catwalk looks like before I make the plunge.

Global Posts
    1,107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katamari201 View Post
    I really don't think any smartphone would be considered a "no nonsense" device. The 920 is a pretty big and chunky phone, as big as any 5" Android phone and even thicker. The catwalk isn't going to deviate that much from that size even if its thinner. It won't be compact like the iPhone, which is only 4". The iPhone is going to continue to increase in size as well, due to market demand. All smartphones can basically do the same things nowadays with the same apps so they are all equally convoluted. You might be referring to the phablets or the Pureview 808, both which are considered niche products that have less bleeding edge dimensions. All the mainstream phones are the same size or smaller than the chunky 920.

Yes I want to see the catwalk. Not only will it be on T-mobile, which is my carrier, but after the disappointment of the 928, this will be the next thing to watch out for. However, I am still set on the EOS. People complain about thickness too much on a phone. Point and shoot cameras that people pocket all the time are 20-30mm or more. My old flip phones that are 25mm+ and old black and white Nokias that are 20mm+ are just as pocketable. Sure there's a bulge, but that's about it. It doesn't hinder walking or running and the phones are far more robust and easier to hold and use since they are not slivers of paper with zero surface area to hold. The 808 Pureview was 18mm at its thickest, which would be considered slim only five years ago. The new EOS will probably be a bit thinner, maybe 15-16mm. That is still very compact. Maybe not amazingly thin like an 8mm phone, but still very pocketable, and far more robust.
    Thing with me is that I already own 808 PureView and just want thin, quite large screened Windows Phone, but no GS4 width. This time don't really care about the camera at all. In general i guess i should add that i buy quite a bit of phones a year, but I usually end up using phones like iPhone 5, Lumia 800 daily.

I'm also quite anal on really high quality feeling devices and always been huge fan of Nokia's designs (like N9/L800, N8 old E series devices etc) so i can't wait to see what they do with aluminium phones once again.

Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    I don't like phones that are too thin...it seems uncomfortable to hold - specially the big ones D:
    That's why i love my 620...yeah its chubby compared to today's piece of paper but feels solid and great in hand!

Geez thinner is better has also hit smartphone world D: that's sad, cause it kinda of reflects our society >.<

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nessinhaw View Post
    I don't like phones that are too thin...it seems uncomfortable to hold - specially the big ones D:
    That's why i love my 620...yeah its chubby compared to today's piece of paper but feels solid and great in hand!

Geez thinner is better has also hit smartphone world D: that's sad, cause it kinda of reflects our society >.<
    I would agree but i like a nice thick silicon shell wrapped around mine, so thinner phones with that usually equate to a nice feel. Currently on an GS2, feels flimsy without the case, just right with it.

If the leaked dimensions on the catwalk are correct, the phone will feel just right with a nice silicone case on it
    Thanked by:

Yes, and no.

A new high-end phone? Yes, I'm excited! But the rumors point to it being the same old dual-core + 1GB RAM -combo, which is really last years spec. It's a fine spec, but will lose spec-to-spec -comparisons against rivals, and makes it less future-proof at this point. I'd be fine with dual-core, but I'd want at least Adreno 320.

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloobed View Post
    Yes, and no.

A new high-end phone? Yes, I'm excited! But the rumors point to it being the same old dual-core + 1GB RAM -combo, which is really last years spec. It's a fine spec, but will lose spec-to-spec -comparisons against rivals, and makes it less future-proof at this point. I'd be fine with dual-core, but I'd want at least Adreno 320.
    Original catwalk leaks suggested improved CPU with the 320 graphics. This is probably what we are going to get.

Whats happened is most websites have failed to research properly and have posted 928 specs as 'catwalk'. This has a domino effect on other websites, then becomes the 'accepted true catwalk spec'.

Nokia know the 920 is behind on specs, so will likely boost them in catwalk. It wont be a massive leap as WP8 doesnt need it. However CPU+A320 is more than enough to keep it competitive.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Agreed! I'd rather my phone be sturdy/strong/durable than thin. I can handle the few extra millimeters thickness and gram's of weight.

Global Posts
    941 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by icyrock1 View Post
    Agreed! I'd rather my phone be sturdy/strong/durable than thin. I can handle the few extra millimeters thickness and gram's of weight.
    it's weird because on paper it really is just a few milliliters different, but when I hold it in my hand there's an obvious difference...i don't know why but I think it has to do with the fact that a lot of phones have some sort of tapering, especially the 8x, so it actually feels thinner. That's why I would like to hold the phone first before I decide. :)

Is the Catwalk exclusive to T Mobile or will ATT have it as well?

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by medicin3man View Post
    Is the Catwalk exclusive to T Mobile or will ATT have it as well?
    Too early to say. The leaks have been so messy I wouldnt trust any of them when it comes to small details like that. Although based on the fact the 920 was ATT, would be odd for ATT to not stock its replacement. Unless TM outbid them to the point they deemed it not worth it

Global Posts
    10,657 Global Posts
    I'm always excited for new devices
    The craziest member on WPCentral!

SONY Windows Phone 8.1 release sometime in June!
    Muessig likes this.

Global Posts
    1,107 Global Posts
    Thin was also hit back in 2006 when Samsung was making its ultathin series (6-7mm phones) to fight again Nokia's N-series and E-series phones. it did fail miserably back then.

Trends come and go. At the moment people are more open for the device expend everywhere else, than adding mm or two on thickness. I don't personally really care how thick the phone is in general, but super thin aluminium Nokia fascinates me for some reason.

SO my next question is: I really would like to see the Catwalk soon, but I am jonesing to switch to WP8. Now I need to know if I should take the plunge now and possibly covet the catwalk when it comes out, or wait for the catwalk, even though we dont know when it is going to be released.

I have another post on the WP8 section with another question. First, my issue was should I go to WP8 from ios 5. Then it was should I get 8x or 920. Now its shopuld I get 920 or wait for catwalk. This is ridiculous.

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    SO my next question is: I really would like to see the Catwalk soon, but I am jonesing to switch to WP8. Now I need to know if I should take the plunge now and possibly covet the catwalk when it comes out, or wait for the catwalk, even though we dont know when it is going to be released.

I have another post on the WP8 section with another question. First, my issue was should I go to WP8 from ios 5. Then it was should I get 8x or 920. Now its shopuld I get 920 or wait for catwalk. This is ridiculous.
    If you can cope with what you have for another 3 months wait, if your current phone is broken or for some reason unsuitable buy the 920 now

My wife keeps taking my Lumia 920 when I am not looking so she can use it. I hope Nokia makes a sweet phone for AT&T so she can upgrade to it, and the tables will turn.

I would be more excited if they went with a better codename than "Catwalk". Both "Catwalk" and "Tiara" aren't exactly too appealing when it comes to smartphones.

Well, I keep reading about a possible May or June release...wouldnt we be seeing some pics of the dang thing?
    I'm excited about the Catwalk. My best friend and I were discussing it last night and she said she's interested in getting it to upgrade from her currently Lumia 710. I may just hold onto my 810 for awhile yet since I only got it in November, but I definitely want to see the Catwalk up close and personal.
    The catwalk will be a minor improvement from the 920. The real jump off will come around November. At any rate, the 920 and it's current specs handle pretty much anything you can throw at it right now.

Global Posts
    1,107 Global Posts
    Well, I keep reading about a possible May or June release...wouldnt we be seeing some pics of the dang thing?
    I'm sure we will see press shot from evleaks towards end of the month or early next month.

Quote Originally Posted by independentvolume View Post
    The catwalk will be a minor improvement from the 920. The real jump off will come around November. At any rate, the 920 and it's current specs handle pretty much anything you can throw at it right now.
    Absolutely. As a Lumia 920 owner i doubt upgrading from Lumia 920 to Catwalk will make much sense for most.

Catwalk has always been referred as Lumia 920 replacement, EOS in a other hand as successor. EOS will likely come alongside with the next OS update among HTC's new flagship, like Lumia 920.

Global Posts
    425 Global Posts
    Tissotti...I was thinking of getting a 808 and using on Tmobile or the 521 and then a better phone later with the 521 as a spare. What do you think? I am most interested in your thoughts on your 808.

Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by calfee20 View Post
    Tissotti...I was thinking of getting a 808 and using on Tmobile or the 521 and then a better phone later with the 521 as a spare. What do you think? I am most interested in your thoughts on your 808.
    fwiw - if you know you have 3.5G or HSPA in your area (which ever you want to refer to it as), then i would say go for the 808 - its more money, but its also the BEST cameraphone out there by a long way... i have migrated from N8 to 808 and waiting probably for the EOS now before i go forward to WP8.x, but i LOVE my 808... some things a little off, but if you have used Symbian you know what they will be, i dont use the built in browser for much, i use opera mobile for most of it... I use facinate for FB updates...
    There is nothing out there that can match the 808 - see PureView Club: The PureView Community for photos info etc. on the 920 and 808...
    And yes you will get HSPA or 3.5G as its shown on the 808... I cant comment about TMo though, as i use ATT, and i think their data speed is not that good here in Houston.

Global Posts
    425 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply. I have read that they may have trouble switching between 3g and 3.5g and it was a problem that was likely to happen more on At&T. Have you had any issues like that. Lots of times things get blown out of proportions on the internet.

Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by calfee20 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I have read that they may have trouble switching between 3g and 3.5g and it was a problem that was likely to happen more on At&T. Have you had any issues like that. Lots of times things get blown out of proportions on the internet.
    never had any problem switching between different speed data. either manually or automatically, i have it set to use 3g or GSM depending on whats available... i have a small widget i use when i want to use skype, force turn on 3g (it connects to 3.5g for me where i am usually), once im done, i'll sometimes leave it on and surf or ill switch it off and force it back to GSM and save battery...
    Having said that, battery life is pretty good, i can have it last about 2 days, where i talk on skype for about 30 to 45 mins each day, using 3g and then use wifi when im home for the occasional surfing or playing music etc and of course practice using that camera.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast