Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

With S4 preorders starting tomorrow and a release date of May 30th I just dont see the Lumia 928 being released later than the 9th. The window for promoting this phone and getting sales is closing fast if the S4 is indeed coming on the 30th. I doubt Verizon will release these phone within such a small gap like 1 or 2 weeks apart, and if they did I think that would threaten Lumia 928 sales. So heres betting on May 2 or May 9. What do yall think about this closing window?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    I like Windows Phone, but the 928 needs to be released before the S4 because that thing is going to be a hot seller.

IMO Verizon/Nokia already have blown it. Even if the phone is available on 2/9, which then is even looking unsure, likely it will be eclipsed by the hype for the GS4. The 928 needed to come out the last week of April or first week of may to give it a good month, and it looks Verizon and Nokia have botched that sales window.
    Situation normal: Verizon is all fouled up.
    - Rich

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!

We may also see Nokia cannibalize some of the Lumia 928's sales potential by releasing info on devices that actually update the 920 beyond just adding a xenon flash on May 14th. I know that there's more to the 928 than the xenon flash but from what we've all heard there's not much more than that and these May 14th devices are supposedly going to introduce the next generation of Lumia hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by waym1962 View Post
    We may also see Nokia cannibalize some of the Lumia 928's sales potential by releasing info on devices that actually update the 920 beyond just adding a xenon flash on May 14th. I know that there's more to the 928 than the xenon flash but from what we've all heard there's not much more than that and these May 14th devices are supposedly going to introduce the next generation of Lumia hardware.
    My guess is that these phones revealed on the 14th is not destined for the US market.

Current Phone: Nokia Lumia 920 Yellow (YAY!!)
    Future Phone:
    Previous Phones: Lumia 800, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, HTC Hero, Iphone 3GS
    Carrier: 3 Sweden

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scottcraft View Post
    I like Windows Phone, but the 928 needs to be released before the S4 because that thing is going to be a hot seller.
    You think it will be a hot seller but I think it will have the same effect as the iPhone 5 (less sales than expected). It just isn't worth the extra $100 to the layperson. In the iPhone's case, you were going 3G to 4G even. With the S4 you're getting specs that aren't important to most people
    RSM for VZW
    Phone history: HTC Trophy, Droid Razr, Curve 9370, HTC Rezound, HTC 8X Blue, HTC 8X VZW Employee Edition, LG Intuition, Nokia Lumia 928 White, LG G2, Droid Ultra VZW Employee Edition, iPhone 5S

Normally, I would expect the 928 to come out at $200, but if it's coming out really close to the S4, I'd hope the 928 would come out at a more aggressive price point.

Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    Situation normal: Verizon is all fouled up.
    SNVzAFU?

I like it
    DavidinCT likes this.

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    IMO Verizon/Nokia already have blown it. Even if the phone is available on 2/9, which then is even looking unsure, likely it will be eclipsed by the hype for the GS4. The 928 needed to come out the last week of April or first week of may to give it a good month, and it looks Verizon and Nokia have botched that sales window.
    Samsung Galaxy series do not do well on Verizon (behind iPhone and razrs) and Verizon will make no attempt to sale the phone. In fact sales reps have more incentives to sale iPhone than GS4. Will GS4 do good , yes only among android users so it really doesn't matter when L928 is coming out in relations to GS4

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tcman88 View Post
    Samsung Galaxy series do not do well on Verizon (behind iPhone and razrs) and Verizon will make no attempt to sale the phone. In fact sales reps have more incentives to sale iPhone than GS4. Will GS4 do good , yes only among android users so it really doesn't matter when L928 is coming out in relations to GS4
    Sales reps don't have any incentive to sell any phone over another.
    RSM for VZW
    Phone history: HTC Trophy, Droid Razr, Curve 9370, HTC Rezound, HTC 8X Blue, HTC 8X VZW Employee Edition, LG Intuition, Nokia Lumia 928 White, LG G2, Droid Ultra VZW Employee Edition, iPhone 5S

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Honestabebread View Post
    No, but a lot of sales reps have near no knowledge of or interest in technology, so tend to get caught in bandwagons and recommend what they think is better purely from word of mouth. Seen it happen many a time. Also had to correct sales reps several times when they are talking to my friends and I happen to be in ear shot

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Traldera View Post
    No, but a lot of sales reps have near no knowledge of or interest in technology, so tend to get caught in bandwagons and recommend what they think is better purely from word of mouth. Seen it happen many a time. Also had to correct sales reps several times when they are talking to my friends and I happen to be in ear shot
    whoa! You should get a job as a sales rep!

Quote Originally Posted by ryan.kruger View Post
    whoa! You should get a job as a sales rep!
    Bwa haha! zing!

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Haha, didnt mean any offense by that, obviously not an all-encompassing statement, but here in the UK sales reps are known for being badly educated in what they sell, mainly due to poor recruitment. Just an example, a friend of mine applied for a job in a superstore, he studies computing like me, loves his tech. Rather than put him in the tech department they put him in the bedding section and instead some guy that doesnt know the difference between a CPU and APU in tech....

the 928 needs to be $100 cheaper than the GS4 if Nokia and Verizon want to move some boxes.. otherwise, if they are priced the same, it will be really hard.

Even tho.. this is the first time Verizon customers are introduced to that kind of built quality (other than the iPhone 4/4s/5), so when you hold the 928 and the GS4 in your hand when you go to the store, you might not buy on specs alone.. the GS4 will feel rather cheaply made compared to the Nokia.

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    Okay buddy you Cleary know how Verizon functions.

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts
    Ahahahahaha

I imagine he does :p

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I do know how Verizon functions. I also know that the only reason reps sell some phones over others is due to personal bias and returns. I was at a store the other day and none of them will sell a S3 or a 822 because there are so many returns and customer complaints. Obviously this varies by store, but there is literally zero financial obligation to any phone at a rep level. At a company level, WP is preferred, but its hard to teach trained salesman to take risks on new products.
    RSM for VZW

I do know how Verizon functions. I also know that the only reason reps sell some phones over others is due to personal bias and returns. I was at a store the other day and none of them will sell a S3 or a 822 because there are so many returns and customer complaints. Obviously this varies by store, but there is literally zero financial obligation to any phone at a rep level. At a company level, WP is preferred, but its hard to teach trained salesman to take risks on new products.
    I believe you stated in your store there was some regional issue with the 822's where they did not activate properly... Just wanted to point out AFAIK on the whole the 822 is pretty reliable outside of your local store's regional issues.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    I believe you stated in your store there was some regional issue with the 822's where they did not activate properly... Just wanted to point out AFAIK on the whole the 822 is pretty reliable outside of your local store's regional issues.
    I had two 822's and both were unreliable for me. I know my experience isn't the same as everyone's, but I lost a lot of faith in Nokia over the 822.
    I had issues with MMS when I 1st got my 822. Called in a level 2 rep guessing changed something on the backend, I reboot my phone and its been rock solid.

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    Let me inform you how it works then.

Each rep has a weekly & monthly quotas against certain OS/devices. For example certain phone cannot exceed more 10% of their sales.
    There are bonuses mostly from manufacturers and also sometimes Verizon which goes from $5 to $50 per device they sale.
    Some devices are easier to sale accessories with than others. For example Micro-SD card slot etc. as reps has accessory quotas as well
    Verizon may also want to promote a device. Each reps is responsible to explain the features of the featured device (s).
    Your other comment about talking negatively about devices is strange as it may lead to the termination of the rep. (assuming you are talking about a corporate store). I would like to know which branch you went to.
    Also 822's ROR and CFA are one of the lowest among current devices. There is a reason why 822 is selling more than 920 or any windows phone in U.S.
    Lastly Verizon cares about which device /OS is more cost efficient and can promote their services the best. Hence they would do everything to be less depended on devices that isn't in their best interest ie iPhone and GS4

Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Traldera View Post
    They swear they are right all the time like when a sales rep told these people curious about Windows Phone that the HTC Radar had 16gb instead of the actual 8gb of storage. I kindly tried to help the poor misinformed rep but he insisted that he was correct.
    Traldera likes this.

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Let me inform you how it works then.

Each rep has a weekly & monthly quotas against certain OS/devices. For example certain phone cannot exceed more 10% of their sales.
    There are bonuses mostly from manufacturers and also sometimes Verizon which goes from $5 to $50 per device they sale.
    Nope.
    RSM for VZW
    alGaddafi likes this.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast