Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By alpinestars1z
  • 1 Post By vlad0
  • 2 Post By Huime
  • 1 Post By Honestabebread
  • 1 Post By psiu_glen
  • 1 Post By sinime

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Hey guys and gals, long story short, how are the radios in Nokia phones? I am pretty new to WP8 and I currently have a HTC 8X on Verizon. I get very poor reception with Verizon in my office at work. Always have no matter which device, OS, etc. But as of late, some devices have definitely been better than others.

My Galaxy S3 wasn't that great, my Note 2 was better and then my HTC Droid DNA was better than both of them. Now with the 8X, it is about on par with the DNA or maybe a bit better. When I say better, just know that the reception still isn't great.

With that being said, I'm getting the 928 on the day it comes out. What can I expect reception wise compared to my 8X?

Thanks!

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I can't say anything about the 8X antenna performance but I can say that Nokia has very high standards for antenna performance. In my experience the Nokia phones I have used (822 on VZ and 920 on ATT) both have better reception than the S3 and iphone 4S that I was comparing to; I would say it is likely you will see the same or better reception with the 928, and very unlikely it will be worse.

Global Posts
    317 Global Posts
    Agreed, Nokia has always been known to make good phones (aka radios) - better than the majority of device manufacturers.
    Something that the other manufacturers are only just now learning how to make an average phone IMO.

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    The 8X is the best phone I've ever carried for reception. Generally HTC, Motorola, and Apple are the best. The 822 seems to be about on par with the iPhone so the 928 should be solid.
    RSM for VZW
    Phone history: HTC Trophy, Droid Razr, Curve 9370, HTC Rezound, HTC 8X Blue, HTC 8X VZW Employee Edition, LG Intuition, Nokia Lumia 928 White, LG G2, Droid Ultra VZW Employee Edition, iPhone 5S

Global Posts
    1,870 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Honestabebread View Post
    The 8X is the best phone I've ever carried for reception. Generally HTC, Motorola, and Apple are the best. The 822 seems to be about on par with the iPhone so the 928 should be solid.
    Agreed, In places where my old HTC trophy dropped calls, I have not dropped any calls with my 8X. This being said, I have LTE coverage now and only had 3G coverage before, so I am sure it has something to do with it. As far as reception, the 8X is a solid phone

I have heard Nokia phones (esp the older, pre-smart phone models) were really good but, I have not owned one in many years.....
    XV6700(Apache)>XV6800->HTC Touch Pro 2(XV6875) ->HTC Trophy ->VZW HTC 8X ->Nokia Lumia 928 -> Nokia Lumia ICON (929)

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
    Agreed, In places where my old HTC trophy dropped calls, I have not dropped any calls with my 8X. This being said, I have LTE coverage now and only had 3G coverage before, so I am sure it has something to do with it. As far as reception, the 8X is a solid phone

I have heard Nokia phones (esp the older, pre-smart phone models) were really good but, I have not owned one in many years.....
    Well having LTE wouldn't affect calls since voice is still handled via CDMA. But that being said, and having a trophy, I would agree its reception is not the strongest.

Global Posts
    2,090 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EDMmmmmmm View Post
    I can't say anything about the 8X antenna performance but I can say that Nokia has very high standards for antenna performance. In my experience the Nokia phones I have used (822 on VZ and 920 on ATT) both have better reception than the S3 and iphone 4S that I was comparing to; I would say it is likely you will see the same or better reception with the 928, and very unlikely it will be worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honestabebread View Post
    I always thought HTC was hit or miss. Usually, it seems, if HTC makes the phone out of plastic, it has solid reception, but if it has metal, it may not be so great.

Apple I think from the 4 onwards (aside from Antennagate) gets great reception too.

Motorola is known for it's excellent reception. Depending on who you ask, some say it's better than Nokia, some say it's about the same, some say a little worse. Wherever it ranks, still great reception though.

Nokia is the other company that is known for providing excellent reception. Reception seems to be a priority for them. Doesn't mean there aren't duds, but most Nokias have excellent reception.

Oh by the way guys, don't compare reception between phones by bars. Each phone calculates that differently.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013
    a5cent and Laura Knotek like this.

I've owned numerous Nokia smartphones, and all of them have been great in terms of reception. Even the metal N8 and E71 had better reception than my iPhone 4.. not to mention.. voice call quality has always been top notch, except for my Lumia 900 .. that one was not as good as the my older ones. My 808 is very good as well.. no issues.
    alpinestars1z likes this.

Yes N8! The days when I get wifi from more than 500 meter, my friend's face with his iphone is priceless.

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinestars1z View Post
    I always thought HTC was hit or miss. Usually, it seems, if HTC makes the phone out of plastic, it has solid reception, but if it has metal, it may not be so great.
    Yeah, older HTCs like the Trophy and Droid Incredible 2 were not good at all. The Incredible 4G, Rezound, DNA, and 8X are excellent though. My 8X is better than my wife's Razr M.
    RSM for VZW
    Phone history: HTC Trophy, Droid Razr, Curve 9370, HTC Rezound, HTC 8X Blue, HTC 8X VZW Employee Edition, LG Intuition, Nokia Lumia 928 White, LG G2, Droid Ultra VZW Employee Edition, iPhone 5S

Global Posts
    694 Global Posts
    Yeah, my Trophy is "okay" with reception (though that is partially just being on Verizon), my OG Droid was better. Motorola flip phones were superb though. Though they did make one dud -- the Devour was absolutely trash, reception wise (well, and many other aspects as well).

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Thanks a lot for the responses! This makes me feel good about picking the 928 when it comes out.

If it comes out :P

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileVortex View Post
    If it comes out :P
    It will. Patience young grasshopper.

Quote Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz View Post
    It will. Patience young grasshopper.
    Hardly young, and I'm fine waiting. Kinda feels like we are chasing a ghost tho.

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Hardly young, and I'm fine waiting. Kinda feels like we are chasing a ghost tho.
    LOL I hear ya!
    When I owned the 8x, I had horrible coverage. My mom had a galaxy s3 that we had to exchange for a Droid DNA for the crappy reception and she finally decided to get an 822...the Nokia radios are great in my opinion. Nokia can rival Motorola with the best radios.

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    My street is in a very weak signal area, i get about 1-2 bars in my house if im lucky and no signal on some networks. Despite this calls are strong and extremely clear..i finally have a phone that functions well as a phone!! I've had previous android devices that suffered buzzing and interference.
    Nokia Lumia 920 - Black

yep, same here...
    Developer

Global Posts
    4,352 Global Posts
    Great IMHO too. If the Nokia can't get a signal, nobody is getting a signal.
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8)
    Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)
    TechAbstract likes this.

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    The building I work in is a solid concrete block building and I get 1 bar of 4G(HSPA+) but when I had a Note 2 I got zero signal of anything.

Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    With my razr m I get 1 bar 1x until I touch it... then nothing.

With my 822 I usually have a couple 3g bars.

(At work)
    -Chances are, I'm guessing.

Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Nokia and Motorola are top two for me in signal reception. HTC, Samsung, and iPhones are average. I've had quicker GPS lock with Nokia and iPhones.