Just ordered the 928 as a concession phone

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
So I've been up since 6:30AM with the little one and I'm at 76% battery life. Been on the phone about an hour and a half, listened to music on my commute through Bluetooth. Texting and email regularly. Little bit of on the clock Tweeting.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
guys they've already said that were getting group mms this month. chill out lol my gawd!
we've been waiting a long time
Apparently reps at Verizon noted that the fix for it is scheduled for the next software release for Windows Phones. GDR2 is the likely software release that will have it. There were some threads that discussed this a month or two ago.
they said the same when portico was around the corner so my faith isn't exactly high

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
we've been waiting a long time

they said the same when portico was around the corner so my faith isn't exactly high

Portico had already come out when they first mentioned it. As best I can tell, I was the first one that got a real response back from them and I had installed Portico about ~2 weeks beforehand as I had been waiting to see if that would fix it.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I checked it out today. The speaker is definitely quite loud. The sound quality is nothing special for a phone, and not that I expect much, but I was hoping for more from something Nokia made such a fuss about. My main problem with the phone is that it's just so big. I understand some people like big phones, but I don't. I wonder if Nokia will ever answer my call for a high end Lumia with a 4.0" screen.

Compared to the Trophy:

WP_20130516_005.jpg

It's certainly an amazing looking phone, though.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure it's a great phone, but like I said, I want a high end phone.

I used to think this as well (came from a Pre + and Pre 2 - what a jump to my 822). I have found that if the phone is thin enough, it isn't too much of a bother, and it is nice having the larger screen, though the 928 is the limit to the size of phone I'm willing to carry around. Unfortunately for you, and you may already know this, there is little to no hope getting a high end phone with a screen smaller than around 4.3-4.5". It is what it is.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I used to think this as well (came from a Pre + and Pre 2 - what a jump to my 822). I have found that if the phone is thin enough, it isn't too much of a bother, and it is nice having the larger screen, though the 928 is the limit to the size of phone I'm willing to carry around. Unfortunately for you, and you may already know this, there is little to no hope getting a high end phone with a screen smaller than around 4.3-4.5". It is what it is.

Yeah, I've got an 822 and I'd like an even smaller phone. The 928 is bigger than the 822, but oh well, I guess I should just stop wishing...sucks to feel so powerless in this situation.

MadeforVermont

May 17, 2013
Visit site
So, some of you will think I'm crazy, but I went to the Verizon store last night to compare the HTC 8X and the Lumia 928. I use the phone more for audio stuff... music and audio books vs camera/video (as well as lots of other features).
- 8X Pros: I personally like the look and feel of the 8X better, and it definitely fits in my hand better. When I listened to the same mp3 file on each phone, the 928 sounded very tinny and the sound quality on the 8X was much better.
- 928 Pros: 32GB vs 16GB, longer battery life, better camera, better viewing outside?
So, I'm curious how honestabebread likes the 928 compared to the 8X. Is it really that much better than the 8X? Has anyone else owned the 8X and now have the 928? Thanks for everyone's feedback. It will really help me make my decision :)

vonchowder

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
did you listen via the built in speaker? (probably not).Were you listening to a stream from Nokia music?

I am also into audio and so far, this is the best sounding portable audio player I have heard. I am running it through a set of ath-m50s closed ear full size headphones and the music (from high quality (356kb) mp3s is so clear. The channel separation is amazing. The bass is clean and strong when it is supposed to be. There is none of that artificial soft bass boost which makes everything sound muddy. I am used to listening through a headphone amp and the 928 does not really need it (although I am sure it will sound even more awesome).

I have dabbled with the Nokia stream and noticed that some songs sound terrible and distorted and crackly(tinny) in the high end. Some other songs sound fine on there. You may want to give the 928 another try. Good luck. Just my 2cents.

ArvydasGOAT

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I had an 8x, and now have the 928. I think I made the right decision, but thought about it for a while considering I paid full retail. The 8x is way more aesthetic. The 928 is significantly bigger. When you have them next to eachother the screen on the 928 looks WAY better than the 8x, and that's how I felt comparing my Trophy to my 8x... I should bust out the Trophy to compare, sheesh!

I haven't fully dug into the camera, but tried some dark shots with movement and was amazed at how the camera froze the movement. I'll have to keep messing around.

It's small, but I also like some of the Nokia specific apps like Cinemagrapgh. I know this is minor, but there will surely be other Nokia exclusive apps, and the Nokia devs/engineers seem very committed to fixing any issues fast - as we've seen in the past.

Is that enough for you to buy a 928? Not sure, but it was for me, and I'm pretty sure I made the right choice.

So, some of you will think I'm crazy, but I went to the Verizon store last night to compare the HTC 8X and the Lumia 928. I use the phone more for audio stuff... music and audio books vs camera/video (as well as lots of other features).
- 8X Pros: I personally like the look and feel of the 8X better, and it definitely fits in my hand better. When I listened to the same mp3 file on each phone, the 928 sounded very tinny and the sound quality on the 8X was much better.
- 928 Pros: 32GB vs 16GB, longer battery life, better camera, better viewing outside?
So, I'm curious how honestabebread likes the 928 compared to the 8X. Is it really that much better than the 8X? Has anyone else owned the 8X and now have the 928? Thanks for everyone's feedback. It will really help me make my decision :)

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
did you listen via the built in speaker? (probably not).Were you listening to a stream from Nokia music?

I am also into audio and so far, this is the best sounding portable audio player I have heard. I am running it through a set of ath-m50s closed ear full size headphones and the music (from high quality (356kb) mp3s is so clear. The channel separation is amazing. The bass is clean and strong when it is supposed to be. There is none of that artificial soft bass boost which makes everything sound muddy. I am used to listening through a headphone amp and the 928 does not really need it (although I am sure it will sound even more awesome).

I have dabbled with the Nokia stream and noticed that some songs sound terrible and distorted and crackly(tinny) in the high end. Some other songs sound fine on there. You may want to give the 928 another try. Good luck. Just my 2cents.

We're referring to the outside speaker, not using headphones.

MadeforVermont

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I was listening through the built in speaker using the xbox music app on both. I should also note that I'm a long time windows mobile user, and am currently using the WM 6.5 LG Fathom. (I know... a what?!!!) I've really been looking forward to a Windows 8 phone, I was about to give up on MS.

Thanks again for the feedback. Somehow, I feel like this is a really big (2 year :) ) decision.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I was listening through the built in speaker using the xbox music app on both. I should also note that I'm a long time windows mobile user, and am currently using the WM 6.5 LG Fathom. (I know... a what?!!!) I've really been looking forward to a Windows 8 phone, I was about to give up on MS.

Thanks again for the feedback. Somehow, I feel like this is a really big (2 year :) ) decision.

I moved over from an 8x, and absolutely love it. There is only one thing I preferred on the 8x, and it's the built in amplifier that works with headphones. I like to listen to music pretty loudly, and my 928 is a significant amount quieter. The 928 is a significant improvement over the 8x, and the build quality is much better. Unless the size of the 8x is much more appealing that the 928, I wouldn't even think twice.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Abe, someone mentioned 8X audio playback through headphones was better than the 928. Your thoughts?

Mines on the way from Newegg, so I'm just reading all of your reactions of the phones 

I actually also agree with that statement. The 8x audio playback is far superior to the 928 through headphones! I tried a few different genres (hip hop, trance, house, dubstep, and reggae) and I preferred the 8x in each. The 928 seems weak, quiet, and sometimes a little muddy. The Dolby thing just makes it echo. Kinds odd, I have to play around with it and see if I find a setting I can live with.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Abe, someone mentioned 8X audio playback through headphones was better than the 928. Your thoughts?

Mines on the way from Newegg, so I'm just reading all of your reactions of the phones 😉
Yeah, the 8X's audio playback through a chord is much more punchy, but I have Bluetooth in my cars, a Big Jambox,and a set of LG Tone + headphones so I literally never plug it in.

So, reasons to buy an 8X over a 928:
- You really need a great front camera (whether you travel and Skype a lot with your phone or you love to take selfies)
- You insist on using the 3.5mm jack for audio play back
- You prefer the slim profile of the 8X vs the brick house style of the 928

Other than that though, you get double the storage, a bigger screen, a higher resolution screen, better battery life, an infinitely better rear camera, and Nokia's apps.

Don'tget mme wrong, I love the 8X, but I'd only recommend it over a 928 under very specific circumstances. VZW should mark the 8X to $50. That would be a better step plan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte