Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I'll be posting up some kind of informal review and hopefully some video/audio samples some time next week. I didn't really like having a WP8 device for my concession line because some of the main features are not allowed by corporate, but I can't upgrade till July 25th. So I figured I'd take it. Got it in white.
    Last edited by Dave Blake; 05-11-2013 at 11:42 PM.
    RSM for VZW
    Phone history: HTC Trophy, Droid Razr, Curve 9370, HTC Rezound, HTC 8X Blue, HTC 8X VZW Employee Edition, LG Intuition, Nokia Lumia 928 White, LG G2, Droid Ultra VZW Employee Edition, iPhone 5S
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Just curious, what options would corporate not allow and why?

You are probably one of the first to be hands on with a 928. I'm sure there's a lot of people who can't wait to see what you have to say. Thanks.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Does it have GDR 2 on it?
    Thanked by:
    DavidinCT and deadwrong03 like this.

any new features on there thats not on any other wp8 device?
    RSB54 likes this.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Would love to get some battery life estimates!
    I would like to hear your opinion on this supposed super rich super loud rear speaker.

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Its ordered I have to wait for it to come in :'(
    RSM for VZW
    Phone history: HTC Trophy, Droid Razr, Curve 9370, HTC Rezound, HTC 8X Blue, HTC 8X VZW Employee Edition, LG Intuition, Nokia Lumia 928 White, LG G2, Droid Ultra VZW Employee Edition, iPhone 5S
    12Danny123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stmav View Post
    Just curious, what options would corporate not allow and why?
    I'm curious as well.

I wish I had your concession line lol.

Is this a big deal that they allow this as a concession phone or do they let you have anything? Are they encouraging reps to get one of these?

Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    1. Could you explain to the normal people out here (me included) - what exactly a concession phone is?
    2. When you get the phone, can you tell us what the firmware and hardware versions are?

Thanks in advance!
    fingers crossed for GDR2
    DavidinCT likes this.

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Q) What can't you do on it?
    A) It's not so much that I CAN'T use the social integration and stuff, it's more that I feel weird doing it on a company phone. Especially when my personal phone is WP8 and set up with all my social stuff.

Q) What is a concession phone?
    A) Its a company provided device. Unlimited talk, text, 5GB of data and hotspot for free. I get a new phone every 3-4 months and they give me maybe one or two options each time. Its a big deal I got the 928 because I was already the Subject Matter Expert for the WP8 launch and they normally pick new people for the SME program if they do it over again.

Q) Will you tell us about X, Y, and Z?
    A) YES! Now that the phone is public, it's fair game baby.
    RSM for VZW

@honestabebread - Is this going to be a real hero phone for Verizon? Or is it just going to get lost in the mix?

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfish54 View Post
    @honestabebread - Is this going to be a real hero phone for Verizon? Or is it just going to get lost in the mix?
    It's hard to tell but it's on the main page of the employee intranet, along with a separate header about new Windows Phone 8 apps and why they're better than their iOS/Android counter parts. Verizon seems to be all about it internally, but the advertising doesn't really reflect. Hopefully they amp it up with this phone!
    RSM for VZW
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Honestabebread View Post
    It's hard to tell but it's on the main page of the employee intranet, along with a separate header about new Windows Phone 8 apps and why they're better than their iOS/Android counter parts. Verizon seems to be all about it internally, but the advertising doesn't really reflect. Hopefully they amp it up with this phone!
    I guess there is no point cranking up the advertising until launch - so hopefully it's coming.

Sounds like a big push internally - hopefully this is the turning point for WP8.

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    i'm curious about the GDR2 update, can you please give the Firmware version with the phone?

I am in Dallas right now and I saw a billboard for the 928. I'll try and take a picture
    diego15nets and jmajid like this.

Can you have a friend from another provider pop in their SIM card to see if the device is unlocked by default?

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squire777 View Post
    Can you have a friend from another provider pop in their SIM card to see if the device is unlocked by default?
    Maybe if it was my personal phone but no way I'm putting a different SIM into a VZW owned device.
    RSM for VZW

Honestabebread thanks a lot for all the info! There is going to be a bunch of us asking about different things, but the only thing I am really interested in is the how the xenon flash performs.. try and see if it would freeze motion, like.. people moving, or even just a simple spinning fan in the dark :)

I think its very important because it could set the phone apart from the rest, since they all have LEDs and .. well.. they all pretty much suck.

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vlad0 View Post
    Honestabebread thanks a lot for all the info! There is going to be a bunch of us asking about different things, but the only thing I am really interested in is the how the xenon flash performs.. try and see if it would freeze motion, like.. people moving, or even just a simple spinning fan in the dark :)

I think its very important because it could set the phone apart from the rest, since they all have LEDs and .. well.. they all pretty much suck.
    Vlad, just so you dont have to wait I took these shots of a spinning fan tonight with my 928 to show how the xenon freezes the motion. You will be happy :)
    Lumia 928 Xenon Flash vs Fan - Imgur

Here are more xenon comparisons: Lumia 928 - Flash Comparison - Imgur
    Thanked by:
    vlad0 
    CBAviator likes this.

So yeah.... Im not sure I've had a point and shoot that good lol

Quote Originally Posted by EDMmmmmmm View Post
    Vlad, just so you dont have to wait I took these shots of a spinning fan tonight with my 928 to show how the xenon freezes the motion. You will be happy :)

Thank you!

I know that the fan test is kind of silly, but it basically proves that at a similar distance, you will be able to freeze motion without any issues.

Looking great.. And it will only get better with future updates in terms of exposure, etc. From my perspective this is a huge selling point. Most of the other features are covered by most high end smartphones, but flash performance like this is not.. there are only a few smartphones out with such capabilities, and NON of the them are available on contract in the US, so.. this is it.

I know that there were Windows CE based phones with a xenon flash, and we had that andro based Motorola, but they both were not properly implemented..

edit. So if you happened to see spots in the frame.. those are dust particles, made visible by the fact that the xenon flash is way to close to the lens of the camera.. at least this is how Dining explained it when we asked about it back in 2010 when the N8 came out.

Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vlad0 View Post
    Thank you!

I know that the fan test is kind of silly, but it basically proves that at a similar distance, you will be able to freeze motion without any issues.

Looking great.. And it will only get better with future updates in terms of exposure, etc. From my perspective this is a huge selling point. Most of the other features are covered by most high end smartphones, but flash performance like this is not.. there are only a few smartphones out with such capabilities, and NON of the them are available on contract in the US, so.. this is it.

I know that there were Windows CE based phones with a xenon flash, and we had that andro based Motorola, but they both were not properly implemented..

edit. So if you happened to see spots in the frame.. those are dust particles, made visible by the fact that the xenon flash is way to close to the lens of the camera.. at least this is how Dining explained it when we asked about it back in 2010 when the N8 came out.
    Agreed - I have had Xenon on two of my Nokia phones and they blow away everything including my wife's N9 at that kind of freeze the moment type shot...
    So which spots are you referring to - and where is the dust? Is it on the lens (in which case, cleaning should suffice) or is it more like humidity? In which case, good luck with that :)
    Id like to know, i have both the N8 and the 808 Pureview right now...and i see spots when i use the n8 but not so much the 808.
    Having said that, the photos i have seen so far from EDMmmmmmm (too long!) have showed what i think details that are soft...
    Nothing that Nokia cant rectify with either production firmware or camera tweaks a la 920...
    Its certainly not out of their reach thats for sure.

Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EDMmmmmmm View Post

So any chance of telling us how you are able to have had this for so long? :)
    Thanks for all the photos and videos though - much appreciated :)
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast