Anyone Else Underwhelmed With The Nokia Lumia 928 & 925?

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Is it really a better camera? It's not the 808 that everyone wanted (41mp). Some improved software but not big changes. And the 928 has that Xenon flash! Also the 925 seems a downgrade in that it has half the memory at only 16gb.
Ok I give you that Xenon flash but what about extra lens? BTW 925 also comes in 32G flavor. You trying to hard to disgrace 925.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The 32GB is exclusive to Vodafone: Nokia Lumia 925 availability in the UK: Where will you be able to pick one up? | Windows Phone Central

As noted in our live blog and our Lumia 925 announcement coverage, Vodafone will be exclusively offering a 32GB variant in black of the Lumia 925 to customers in the UK, Italy, Spain and Germany. Patrick Chomet had the following to say on the new Windows Phone:
"The new Nokia Lumia 925 is sleek, sophisticated and delivers outstanding performance – it’s a great smartphone. We look forward to offering the Nokia Lumia 925 across our markets on Vodafone Red, as well as other tariffs, enabling customers to make the most of their new smartphone on Vodafone’s fast and reliable network. Vodafone customers will also have exclusive access to a 32GB version of the Nokia Lumia 925, giving them even more capacity to store all their content for personal and business use."

The question is will T-Mobile come in 32 or 16 gigs.​

Last edited:

elpedrogrande

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I mean im definitely getting the 928 but I feel skeptical because the new phones with the launch of the blue update are probably right around the corner.

Yeah, but whatever is coming is going to be another AT&T exclusive. So if you don't get one of these, you'll be waiting for a whole year for whatever's next.

At any rate, I am really excited about the 928. I like the look of the 925 (well, except for the camera bump) but the 928 isn't ugly by any means and the it is miles above the other WP8 choices on Verizon. I'm ordering mine on Thursday and will be waiting impatiently for it to be delivered.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely not. I don't want 4 cores or 80 megapixels or a gpu that can provide 5 more fps in angry birds. Especially when all these features would inflate the price dramatically. The only thing I could possibly ask for would be an ORANGE 928, but that's never gonna happen:(

GolferChris68

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely not. I don't want 4 cores or 80 megapixels or a gpu that can provide 5 more fps in angry birds. Especially when all these features would inflate the price dramatically. The only thing I could possibly ask for would be an ORANGE 928, but that's never gonna happen:(

And increasing power consumption or making the device run hotter!

tvolpe86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
i'm not underwhelmed bc i never hyped it up to be anything more than it was intended. none of these phones were meant to be the next gen lumia. they were meant to be 920 offerings unique to different carriers. the next gen stuff will come at the end of the year. 6 months after the 920 is way too early to drastically revamp their flagship. a year+ is acceptable/expected for a next gen phone.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm hearing alot of conflicting reports here! Which is it? 16 or 32 gigs, SD or no SD, does 928 have Smart Cam or not??
Sent from my {Lumia 820} using Board Express

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
And increasing power consumption or making the device run hotter!
You say that, but when you experience heavier apps and sites loading almost instantaneously, you won't want to go back. Android manufacturers are shipping larger batteries and more powerful processors in more compact frames, I don't see why Nokia can't solve such a problem similarly.

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Considering the fact that WP8 runs so smoothly on the 920, I don't really see the need for a huge bump in specs and since WP8 doesn't currently support 1080p displays, the current processors are more than capable of giving the user an excellent experience. I can see specs being bumped once the maximum resolution is increased. I'm in a great position though because I'll be using my dad's upgrade to get the 928 and then my line will be eligible in October. I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking to come out quite so quickly, but it'll be nice to have the chance to upgrade if I choose to do so.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
925 was overhyped by the press. 928 is exactly what I thought it would be. I'm very happy with my 8x but I will be getting the 928 because I want a great video recording device and more storage!

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
From one perspective it makes total sense that Nokia would introduce the 925. Many complained that the 920 was bulky and heavy. The phone might be totally fine once you're used to it, but first impressions matter. Secondly, it's entirely possible that Nokia is privy to data that shows consumers dislike colorful phones. I can see it being quite polarizing, especially since Apple continues to define the aesthetic. Black, white and aluminum for everybody. Some day Apple will introduce colorful phones and everyone will soil their pants in excitement. Suddenly a yellow phone will be every bit as professional as as black one.

Another problem for Nokia is that they aren't in a leadership position. Samsung and Apple are the default brands so things are a lot easier for them. Everyone else has to work a lot harder. Nokia in particular was put in a difficult situation in that they introduced their device early in this wave of phones, their thunder being stolen by the advent of the Blackberry Z10, HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4. So the Lumia 928 and 925 revitalizes the line.

Now with that in mind, there's something to be said for instilling good will in the minds of owners of existing devices. People don't like to feel like they're being left behind for the next big thing, especially while they're in possession of a device that still feels new. I think that one of Apple's strong points is that they've got a very stable update cycle. They don't start teasing new devices on a few months in to the current life cycle. You can't control the press, but at least there's the confidence that Apple isn't going to leave you high and dry. Granted, the 925/928 seem to be functionality identical to the 920, but perception is what counts.

Part of that perception goes back to brand image. The 920 was visually distinctive. The 925, while attractive, is not. Whether the 925 ever ends up on store shelves remains to be seen. I'm convinced that one of the big problems with the 920 was that stores put no effort into marketing them, assuming they even carried the phones at all, which many retailers did not. I'm not sure the 925 will change that, and it's certainly not going to jump off the display like the 920 would have.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
925 was overhyped by the press. 928 is exactly what I thought it would be. I'm very happy with my 8x but I will be getting the 928 because I want a great video recording device and more storage!

Exactly. Kind of reminds me of when the I phone 4s was announced...everyone was like wait a minute...this is what I've been waiting for? Lol! But, I knew the 928/925 were just an extension of the Lumia 920 family, so I'm fine with the announcements.

On another note, pls don't change your profile picture. Its a constant reminder that I need to keep planning my next vacation! :)

srmccoy

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I think that the folks who are disappointed were the ones who were expecting to see the next generation of Lumia devices. It's only been 6 months since the 920 came out. Releasing a completely new, next-gen Lumia right now would **** off a fair bit of folks who just plunked down their money on the 920.

I suspect that we'll see the true next-gen devices later this year.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I think that the folks who are disappointed were the ones who were expecting to see the next generation of Lumia devices. It's only been 6 months since the 920 came out. Releasing a completely new, next-gen Lumia right now would **** off a fair bit of folks who just plunked down their money on the 920.

I suspect that we'll see the true next-gen devices later this year.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what people were expecting. The next flagship? Remember what happened with the Lumia 900 and Lumia 920? There was so much complaining about that. A big part of it was the lack of an upgrade to WP8, but many people seemed to be angry that their phone became "outdated" in only six months.

Android used to have this problem too, where HTC and Samsung kept updating their phone with minor changes seemingly every three months. People complained about that, and now their flagships usually are released once a year.

But now that this isn't really an "upgrade" people are making fun of it? What do you guys want?! Make up your minds!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
But it is an upgrade for those of us on Verizon for our various reasons. Personally, I don't see where anyone has a right to complain about the 928, and by extension the 925, because ATT had their flagship, now this is our flagship. The 920 is not outdated, since it is still the flagship ATT phone.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
But it is an upgrade for those of us on Verizon for our various reasons. Personally, I don't see where anyone has a right to complain about the 928, and by extension the 925, because ATT had their flagship, now this is our flagship. The 920 is not outdated, since it is still the flagship ATT phone.

Oh right, I forgot this thread was also about the 928. 928 would be an upgrade over the 822, since there was no CDMA flagship device from Nokia (except for whatever special version China got). But the 925 I don't really think is meant to be an upgrade. Am I interested in it? Maybe if I switch to T-Mobile, or if I could get an unlocked one with North American bands for cheap.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Oh right, I forgot this thread was also about the 928. 928 would be an upgrade over the 822, since there was no CDMA flagship device from Nokia (except for whatever special version China got). But the 925 I don't really think is meant to be an upgrade. Am I interested in it? Maybe if I switch to T-Mobile, or if I could get an unlocked one with North American bands for cheap.

Likewise, the 925 is an upgrade for the TMO users.

As far as unlocked, if you look at 47 CFR 27.16 (e) you will see that for phones on Block C of the 700 MHz band (Verizon's LTE), carrier locking is prohibited. If you want to be sure to get one unlocked, buy it from Verizon.
47 CFR 27.16 - Network access requirements for Block C in the 746-757 and 776-787 MHz bands. | Title 47 - Telecommunication | Code of Federal Regulations | LII / Legal Information Institute

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786