Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Now that both phones have been unveiled im a bit disappointed with the both of them. Not saying im not getting the 928 but I am but after 6 months they couldn't add more megapixels to the camera or 2gb of ram?

I mean im definitely getting the 928 but I feel skeptical because the new phones with the launch of the blue update are probably right around the corner. They are great phones don't get me wrong but the differences from the 920 are so minor that neither phone makes it worth using an upgrade to get or paying $500 imo.

Im one of the vzw customers that has to go the full retail route to keep my unlimited data and im thinking about just waiting and going the ebay route for probably 300-400 bucks.

Now that both phones have been fully unveiled what are your thoughts on them? Which do u think is the better phone? I think the 928 > 925 I like the body style of the 925 more but I like the back and the xenon flash more on the 928. With the 925 being shown off and the Smart Camera app I am a bit confused, I thought those features where already on the 920 at launch?

Global Posts
    2,912 Global Posts
    I'm disappointed as well. But it seems they want to give users options. So it's the same phone, but it's a variant.

You won't get the 920 because its too heavy? Here, get the 925. Want better flash pictures? Get the 928. Want colours? Get the 920. Instead

Options are what we have.

Hopefully, summer will be a better announcement.
  3. M L

underwhelmed by 925, but then I thought I would be, didn't understand why everyone was so excited about a metal phone.
    Disappointed that we didn't see the 41 MP camera, ala 808, or any real big leap in camera technology. And the 925 is only half the memory at 16MP. Too soon to tell if slimming down a few grams of weight will please the critics.
    I really do like the look and form factor of the 928 though over the 920. That'll be my next phone.

You guys have it all wrong, AT&T had the 920 exclusive for 6 months, Verizon & TMO didn't just want the same looking 6 month old phone. Just like the 820, 810 & 822. The 920 family will be replaced in 6 months or one year after the 920 was released with the updated OS allowing better hardware specs. GS3 to GS4 took 1 year.
    Thanked by:
    Vallos 

Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    Based on the name along, you should have known they weren't going to be anything real unique. How much different did you expect a variant to be? Nokia isn't going to kill off their flagship 6 months into it.

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    i am getting the 928. im pretty excited and thursday cannot come soon enough. i am coning from an hd7 on tmo, and refuse to wait until after june. besides, i think the 928 is better looking and has more memory.....and i can get it this week!
    M L likes this.
  7. M L

Quote Originally Posted by Robinsonmac View Post
    You guys have it all wrong, AT&T had the 920 exclusive for 6 months, Verizon & TMO didn't just want the same looking 6 month old phone. Just like the 820, 810 & 822. The 920 family will be replaced in 6 months or one year after the 920 was released with the updated OS allowing better hardware specs. GS3 to GS4 took 1 year.
    Sorry, I just don't get that logic. I think Nokia would be in a stronger market position if they developed one really good phone for all carriers instead of a new design for each. iphone and samsung gs3 didn't give each carrier a completely different model, even the ones that got the phones later. Make improvements to the Lumia every six months sure, but the amount of resources spent on developing all new phones is just unbelievable. It just seems like Nokia's competing against themselves and watering down the brand.
    Thanked by:
    tvolpe86 likes this.

Global Posts
    4,822 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by M L View Post
    Sorry, I just don't get that logic. I think Nokia would be in a stronger market position if they developed one really good phone for all carriers instead of a new design for each. iphone and samsung gs3 didn't give each carrier a completely different model, even the ones that got the phones later. Make improvements to the Lumia every six months sure, but the amount of resources spent on developing all new phones is just unbelievable. It just seems like Nokia's competing against themselves and watering down the brand.
    Nokia has no clout against the (rather greedy) American carriers. And, thanks to the carriers' greed, they're stuck with exclusives.
    There you have it folks, if you want Nokia to stop getting backed into a corner, do them a favor and switch to T-Mo and buy WPs every chance you get (presuming you want to)
    Reviver of Forum Games! I'm TheWPCTraveler over on Nintendo Life, as well. You'll also find me over at gamrConnect as well, because I like numbers.

3DS Friend Code: 1779-1560-3109 | NNID: TheWPCTraveler
    Devices: Lumia 630, ASUS T100, Nintendo 3DS XL.
    Now Playing: Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars [3DS]
    Now Watching: Pom Poko (平成狸合戦ぽんぽこ)

I have a creepy avatar, don't I?
    Make improvements to the Lumia every six months sure, but the amount of resources spent on developing all new phones is just unbelievable. It just seems like Nokia's competing against themselves and watering down the brand.
    These aren't all new phones. The cost to bring them to market and more importantly, the cost to maintain them, are shared between all 92x variants.

As such, this isn't at all Nokia competing against itself. This is just a reflection of the competition between U.S. carriers. From Nokia's point of view, this is all the same device in different packaging.

As long as the consumer ends up buying a Lumia device, Nokia doesn't care which U.S. carrier competed more successfully by making the better sales pitch.
    Thanked by:
    theefman and hopmedic like this.

Dont really understand how did you put 928 in front of 925. 925 [S]has mSD[/S], better camera and an early taste of the smart cam...
    Last edited by Huime; 05-14-2013 at 08:41 AM. Reason: no mSD

Global Posts
    1,971 Global Posts
    Underwhelmed or disapointed kind of fits a little, yea but, what did everyone really expect ? We all know I was hoping for expandable storage but, all in all, what did everyone expect with Windows Phone 8???

This is not a 8.5 device, the hardware standards have not changed yet. So you get the same hardware as the 920. The 928 and 925 are just re-hashes of the 920 with some minor upgrades. If you wanted a 920 and could not get it on your carrier, then this is awsome. If you were expecting for a brand new, better, newer phone, this is not it.

I too really wanted to see a higer end phone with some major changes but, deep down I knew that this is Not a new WIndows Phone, it's the same software so the hardware could not change too much. What did people expect ? 1080p ? 2mb ram ? 64gb option ? MicroSD? 5" display ?
    XV6700(Apache)>XV6800->HTC Touch Pro 2(XV6875) ->HTC Trophy ->VZW HTC 8X ->Nokia Lumia 928 -> Nokia Lumia ICON (929)

The phone is fine, but what I don't understand is why Nokia would bother with a press event for a tweak of an existing phone...
    DavidinCT likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huime View Post
    Dont really understand how did you put 928 in front of 925. 925 [S]has mSD[/S], better camera and an early taste of the smart cam...
    How does 925 have better camera?

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chinesepiratefood View Post
    The phone is fine, but what I don't understand is why Nokia would bother with a press event for a tweak of an existing phone...
    What press event did they have?
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

Quote Originally Posted by chinesepiratefood View Post
    My guess is they wanted the exposure. So while this event was underwhelming, it created a buzz and keeps Nokia in the limelight.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I'm thrilled. All I wanted was a high end Nokia phone on Verizon.

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I think Nokia gave us what I expected. These phones were not meant to be upgrades over the 920, just variations like the 820/821/822. They came out 6 months later because AT&T must have thrown Nokia a fair bit of money at them for exclusivity, otherwise we probably would have seen all 3 6 months ago. There's nothing more to it, the major upgrades will come at the end of the year and for those who can't wait now have 3 great options to choose from.
  18. M L

Quote Originally Posted by Huime View Post
    Is it really a better camera? It's not the 808 that everyone wanted (41mp). Some improved software but not big changes. And the 928 has that Xenon flash! Also the 925 seems a downgrade in that it has half the memory at only 16gb.

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Nokia probably had no choice in developing slightly different variants for each carrier. US carriers, especially Verizon, have a lot of power when it comes to influencing design by manufacturers. Samsung and Apple are the only manufacturers with the clout to demand that the same variant of phone run unchanged on each carrier. Nokia just doesn't have that clout.

The internals of these phones (920, 925, 928) are largely the same, and most of the technology is the same. The amount of resources used to design the 925 and 928 is probably pretty minimal, compared to what they used for the original 900. No doubt, most of their resources are currently being used to build up their Nokia software, and on the next generation of devices running the next version of Windows Phone.

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by devize View Post
    I think Nokia gave us what I expected. These phones were not meant to be upgrades over the 920, just variations like the 820/821/822. They came out 6 months later because AT&T must have thrown Nokia a fair bit of money at them for exclusivity, otherwise we probably would have seen all 3 6 months ago. There's nothing more to it, the major upgrades will come at the end of the year and for those who can't wait now have 3 great options to choose from.
    Exactly. This is great news for Nokia and Windows Phone. Verizon and T-Mobile users now get access to flagship Nokia Windows Phone devices that they didn't previously have.

Is it really a better camera? It's not the 808 that everyone wanted (41mp). Some improved software but not big changes. And the 928 has that Xenon flash! Also the 925 seems a downgrade in that it has half the memory at only 16gb.
    Ok I give you that Xenon flash but what about extra lens? BTW 925 also comes in 32G flavor. You trying to hard to disgrace 925.

The 32GB is exclusive to Vodafone: Nokia Lumia 925 availability in the UK: Where will you be able to pick one up? | Windows Phone Central

As noted in our live blog and our Lumia 925 announcement coverage, Vodafone will be exclusively offering a 32GB variant in black of the Lumia 925 to customers in the UK, Italy, Spain and Germany. Patrick Chomet had the following to say on the new Windows Phone:
    "The new Nokia Lumia 925 is sleek, sophisticated and delivers outstanding performance – it’s a great smartphone. We look forward to offering the Nokia Lumia 925 across our markets on Vodafone Red, as well as other tariffs, enabling customers to make the most of their new smartphone on Vodafone’s fast and reliable network. Vodafone customers will also have exclusive access to a 32GB version of the Nokia Lumia 925, giving them even more capacity to store all their content for personal and business use."

The question is will T-Mobile come in 32 or 16 gigs.
    Last edited by Vallos; 05-14-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Added a question

Quote Originally Posted by deadwrong03 View Post
    I mean im definitely getting the 928 but I feel skeptical because the new phones with the launch of the blue update are probably right around the corner.
    Yeah, but whatever is coming is going to be another AT&T exclusive. So if you don't get one of these, you'll be waiting for a whole year for whatever's next.

At any rate, I am really excited about the 928. I like the look of the 925 (well, except for the camera bump) but the 928 isn't ugly by any means and the it is miles above the other WP8 choices on Verizon. I'm ordering mine on Thursday and will be waiting impatiently for it to be delivered.

Absolutely not. I don't want 4 cores or 80 megapixels or a gpu that can provide 5 more fps in angry birds. Especially when all these features would inflate the price dramatically. The only thing I could possibly ask for would be an ORANGE 928, but that's never gonna happen:(
    Thanked by:
    Jakoh 
    elpedrogrande likes this.

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3earnhardt3 View Post
    Absolutely not. I don't want 4 cores or 80 megapixels or a gpu that can provide 5 more fps in angry birds. Especially when all these features would inflate the price dramatically. The only thing I could possibly ask for would be an ORANGE 928, but that's never gonna happen:(
    And increasing power consumption or making the device run hotter!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast