Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

I know that Verizon usually does their 4G phones unlocked and I see that according to the website the 928 is Global Ready.

My brother is going to be signing up for Verizon using his old Droid Razr but he is going to order the 928 for me so I can get it at a discounted price and use it with my T-mobile account.
    and then just reactivate his droid razr on the account.

This is possible right?

Also, if he does something screwy with the phone as in doesn't pay his bill on time or something and I am using the 928 on my T-mobile account do you think it would affect me? Would the phone be locked?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercutio1 View Post
    I know that Verizon usually does their 4G phones unlocked and I see that according to the website the 928 is Global Ready.

My brother is going to be signing up for Verizon using his old Droid Razr but he is going to order the 928 for me so I can get it at a discounted price and use it with my T-mobile account.
    and then just reactivate his droid razr on the account.

This is possible right?
    I'm pretty sure it has T-Mobile's frequencies. Not 100% tho

Quote Originally Posted by Mercutio1 View Post
    Also, if he does something screwy with the phone as in doesn't pay his bill on time or something and I am using the 928 on my T-mobile account do you think it would affect me? Would the phone be locked?
    No, the droid would be locked.

The question has anyone tried it? Problem is I went to the Verizon store and tested the demo yesterday and did not see any settings for APN or MMS. which I prefer to have in order for me to really consider buying it. So has anyone tried a different sim in the phone and gotten data/mms to work?

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Totalfixation View Post
    The question has anyone tried it? Problem is I went to the Verizon store and tested the demo yesterday and did not see any settings for APN or MMS. which I prefer to have in order for me to really consider buying it. So has anyone tried a different sim in the phone and gotten data/mms to work?
    You could try downloading Access Point on Verizon's display model. That's Nokia's app for changing apn settings and such.
    Xbox Live/PSN: ClassyPandaBear

It should work, however, you may have some problems getting everything to work. I put an AT&T sim card in my 928 last night, and even the access point app wouldn't get the APN settings to stick. Text messages appeared to work fine (when you put it in, under Settings>Messages you get a "SMS Call Center" number that allows texts to work), but I haven't gotten MMS working properly. I think there is a a lot of info on getting MMS to work on the 8x/822 if you search these forums. Also, I don't think you're going to be able to get internet sharing working

Quote Originally Posted by Agent-P View Post
    You could try downloading Access Point on Verizon's display model. That's Nokia's app for changing apn settings and such.
    here's the link access point | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Once you install it, go to settings and scroll to the bottom.

Not too concern with the internet sharing but would need MMS working properly. Group messaging not very important but will need it in the future, heard it's coming out soon so I can wait.

When you said getting the APN to stick you describe briefly what issue you had?

Quote Originally Posted by AR2186 View Post
    It should work, however, you may have some problems getting everything to work. I put an AT&T sim card in my 928 last night, and even the access point app wouldn't get the APN settings to stick. Text messages appeared to work fine (when you put it in, under Settings>Messages you get a "SMS Call Center" number that allows texts to work), but I haven't gotten MMS working properly. I think there is a a lot of info on getting MMS to work on the 8x/822 if you search these forums. Also, I don't think you're going to be able to get internet sharing working
    Hi AR2186, Is the internet working for you when u use AT&T sim card in the Nokia Lumia 928? Thanks.
    I went to Verizon store and they told me that they don't sell unlocked phone, but I saw some post that Verizon phone is all unlocked, this is confusing..

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    It is fully unlocked however Apn vpn and mms settings are not available and therefore some functions such as high speed data, picture messaging or even browsing the web may not work properly. I wouldn't recommend it. Droid razr is unlocked as well so you can test drive it with Droid razr first

I was using a prepaid card without internet (I have VZW unlimited, didn't feel like paying for internet on my other phone). Let me look at the data plans to see if i can find one that makes it reasonable to experiment with

I'm using T-Mobile Prepaid Plan, $30 a month with unlimited data. Since I almost never call and only using internet data, there is no reason to sign those 2 years contract. So I just want to make sure I can call, sending sms, and browsing web.

Thanks all for help. :)

Quote Originally Posted by dta4316 View Post
    I'm using T-Mobile Prepaid Plan, $30 a month with unlimited data. Since I almost never call and only using internet data, there is no reason to sign those 2 years contract. So I just want to make sure I can call, sending sms, and browsing web.

Thanks all for help. :)
    I can't seem to find any cheap (~$30) prepaid plans on AT&T or T-Mobile, so it doesn't look like I'll be able to try it out.

I can't seem to find any cheap (~$30) prepaid plans on AT&T or T-Mobile, so it doesn't look like I'll be able to try it out.
    I guess we need to purchase a sim card from T-Mobile then only we can activate it and choose the plan, it's too much effort. Anyway thanks for your help.

Am happy to try to do it due to my own curiosity, I'm just not $50 curious. If there is a more reasonable plan with data I'd happily check it out

I have exactly the same issue. Phone and sms seems to be working fine, but I'm getting dns issues when browsing even seeing 3G and full bars. Access Point app doesn't seems to activate a custom apn. It sticks to inactive always. Any idea or workaround for this?. Is it possible to flash the phone to bypass this limitation?

I just chat with Verizon representative. Asking if the Lumia 928 can be unlocked. Here is the chat:

Me: Hi, I bought Nokia Lumia 928 from Verizon without a plan, and I would like to know how can I unlock it?
    VZW: Do you have an account with us now?
    Me: no..
    Me: but i'm planning to get the prepaid plan
    VZW: What do you mean unlock the phone?
    Me: I can only use that phone using the Verizon sim card right?
    Me: cause the device is exclusive to Verizon..
    VZW: correct
    Me: So I wonder if I can use other carrier sim card with it..
    Me: cause I will need it when I go to Malaysia or Singapore later
    Me: which I will use local sim card in those country
    VZW: We do not support unlocking phones/
    Me: means the phone is useless for me?
    Me: if I don't have a Verizon sim card..
    VZW: Unless you are on a VZW account. Prepaid or contract
    Me: even if I have a VZW account, I still can't unlock it?
    VZW: What type of phone is it?
    Me: Windows Phone: Nokia Lumia 928
    Me: just released last week.
    VZW: It can be unlocked but we do not support that.
    Me: then who support it?
    VZW: You would have to have the other carrier out of the country do that for you.
    Me: ok then....
    Me: thanks.
    Me: Bye.

Global Posts
    942 Global Posts
    I just chat with Verizon representative. Asking if the Lumia 928 can be unlocked. Here is the chat:

Me: Hi, I bought Nokia Lumia 928 from Verizon without a plan, and I would like to know how can I unlock it?
    VZW: You would have to have the other carrier out of the country do that for you.
    Well this is very puzzling. How does another carrier unlock a carrier-locked phone? That's like someone asking for the key to my house and I reply that I won't give them a key, but they can feel free to get one from my neighbor... Am I missing something here?

I don't think they know anything about it or just don't bother to answer me "correctly" since I'm not their customer...Their answer is funny to me...........

Global Posts
    942 Global Posts
    They used to have a $3.00 a day unlimited talk, text and some 4 or 3g data included. I believe $10 is the least amount you can upload on the SIM through the T-Mobile store. You can try that out if they still offer it.

HA HA HA HA HA WAIT WHATTTTTTT?!?!?!?!!? I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!! Maybe I'll see you in Singapore/Malaysia later... I'll be based in Singapore in the Fall until the end of the year.

You spoke with someone who doesn't have a clue.
    1. 47 CFR 27.16 (e) says that Verizon can't lock the phone to their network:
    (e) Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b)of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks.
    47 CFR 27.16 - Network access requirements for Block C in the 746-757 and 776-787 MHz bands. | Title 47 - Telecommunication | Code of Federal Regulations | LII / Legal Information Institute
    2. The code for unlocking the phone is right on their website:
    My Wireless Device

Your wireless device must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations, be certified for use on our network, and be compatible with your Service. Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device. By activating Service that uses a SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card, you agree we own the intellectual property and software in the SIM card, that we may change the software or other data in the SIM card remotely and without notice, and we may utilize any capacity in the SIM card for administrative, network, business and/or commercial purposes. If you bought a wireless device for Postpay Service from Verizon Wireless that doesn't use a SIM card, and you want to reprogram it for use with another wireless network, the default programming code is set to "000000" or "123456." But please note that your wireless device may not work with another wireless network, or the other wireless carrier may not accept your wireless device on its network. If you activate a wireless device for Prepaid Service, during the first six (6) months after activation, it can only be used for Prepaid Service. The iPhone 4 is configured to work only with the wireless services of Verizon Wireless and may not work on another carrier's network, even after completion of your contract term.
    Customer Agreement | Verizon Wireless
    3. If you search this very forum, you'll find people using it on other carriers.

The caveat is that no one has gotten MMS or Data to work yet, that I know of. I'm not sure how Verizon can get away with not allowing the APN to be changed, or if perhaps that would change if someone took them to court, but for now, you can't change the APN, so you can't use data or MMS on a different carrier.
    - Rich

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
    DavidinCT likes this.

Global Posts
    942 Global Posts
    Hopmedic: I'm sure ppl will find your info useful. Hope the op sees this. Question: I don't have Verizon or a 928 so I have to ask: is it that you can't find the apn settings on the 928 or is it Verizon doesn't allow any of their phones to change apn settings?

Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    Hopmedic: I'm sure ppl will find your info useful. Hope the op sees this. Question: I don't have Verizon or a 928 so I have to ask: is it that you can't find the apn settings on the 928 or is it Verizon doesn't allow any of their phones to change apn settings?
    They took away the ability to change the APN settings from the OS. Nokia Access Point doesn't seem to be able to make the APN settings stick either

Global Posts
    942 Global Posts
    They took away the ability to change the APN settings from the OS. Nokia Access Point doesn't seem to be able to make the APN settings stick either
    Is this something new that just started with the 928? I can change the apn settings in the 8x. This isn't good. :(

Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    Is this something new that just started with the 928? I can change the apn settings in the 8x. This isn't good. :(
    Post the Portico update the Verizon 8x lost the ability as well
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast