Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Global Posts
    996 Global Posts
    I went to one of the nearby Verizon Wireless corporate stores on my way home from work last night to check out the Lumia 928. When I looked at it, my first thought was "wow, this is one ugly-looking phone"! I'm sure some people feel differently, but the squarish design with fairly sharp corners just doesn't do it for me. The lack of some sort of accent color or lining, like the silver accent line around the outer edge of the HTC Trophy, doesn't help matters either.

Frankly, IMO someone needs to go to Finland and sit down and talk with the guys from Nokia. Pretty much ALL of the Nokia Windows Phones I've seen - the Lumia 900 and 920, the Lumia 822, and now the Lumia 928 - are physically unattractive to my eyes. When you're trying to recapture market share, it helps to build aesthetically-attractive devices. I think Nokia is falling short on that part.

I'll still probably buy a Nokia Lumia 928 in a couple months, but that purchase would be much more of a no-brainer if the Lumia 928 had a look more similar to (or more accurately, as attractive as) say the HTC Windows Phone 8X.

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
    maverick786us likes this.

I also stopped by my local Verizon store and the 928 is easily the BEST looking phone in the store. The only phone that was close was the sleek razr maxx HD. The 928 not only looks better than the 8x but to me feels much better in my hand. I guess taste is subjective. The thing I hate most about my trophy is the cheap looking silver trim!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I am of the opposite opinion. I can't stand the looks, or the feel, of the 8X.

Guess it is a good thing they make different phones for different folks.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    996 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by odin09 View Post
    I also stopped by my local Verizon store and the 928 is easily the BEST looking phone in the store. The only phone that was close was the sleek razr maxx HD. The 928 not only looks better than the 8x but to me feels much better in my hand. I guess taste is subjective. The thing I hate most about my trophy is the cheap looking silver trim!
    The funny thing is I think the Droid Razr Maxx also looks ugly, though not as ugly as the original Droid Razr.

I guess I just don't like squarish-looking smartphones.

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
    snowmutt likes this.

I'm not sure that I can take you seriously when you give the edge *in anything* to the Trophy when compared to the 928 (my Trophy was replaced by a 928 yesterday).

Certainly entitled to your opinion, but I completely disagree. I think the 928 is beautiful, and easily the slickest phone in the Verizon store. I'm glad Nokia's style/design differs from yours.
    11B1P likes this.

Yeah, can't agree at all. Clean lines, nice edge-to-edge glass on front, good combination of curves and angles...all the things that punch this professional artist/designer of 16 years' buttons...hehehe, just playing, but it is a nice looking device. Not the prettiest but pretty well done.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Well, you bought Samsung Galaxy and Motorola so if anything, we should do the opposite of what you say
    tissotti likes this.

Global Posts
    1,870 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyFiNYC View Post
    I'm not sure that I can take you seriously when you give the edge *in anything* to the Trophy when compared to the 928 (my Trophy was replaced by a 928 yesterday).
    Hey, Dont pick on the Trophy, it's the only phone who gave all Verizon Customers Windows Phone while everyone else had cooler phones. It still was a great phone for it's time and was pretty bullet proof (dropped mine a ton of times, never an issue)

Still, the 928 is worlds better than the Trophy was...
    XV6700(Apache)>XV6800->HTC Touch Pro 2(XV6875) ->HTC Trophy ->VZW HTC 8X ->Nokia Lumia 928 -> Nokia Lumia ICON (929)

Gungzwei and jleebiker like this.

I think it is the coolest/sleekest phone I have yet to hold in my hands. better than nexus and gsiii.

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    I find it very very good looking. It's too big for me, though.

I love nice square sharp edged phones. I will agree the 822 was ugly though, why I waited for something else before upgrading. Those super curved edges just look childish to me.

I picked up the 928 yesterday from VZW and to my surprise there was small gathering around the 928/WP display - I had to wait for my turn to check it out!
    11B1P and jmajid like this.

I thought it was pretty nice. It's certainly nicer than the HTC One everyone was gushing over. Now there's an overrated design if I've ever seen one with it's busy and inconsistent design language.
    Back in 1991, Chevrolet transformed the long-lived Caprice, giving it curves where it once had lines and angles. I must have been ahead of my time back then, because it was the ugliest car on the road in my book. Give me clean lines! Give me right angles! And then put me in the disagree column on this thread!

Yeah, my Camry has curves, but it's nothing like that Caprice. It has angles as well. And I love it. I've changed some since '91, but man, I still like me some lines.

And yeah, I have to agree with WhyFiNYC - I can't take seriously anyone who puts Trophy above 928. Yeah, it served us well, but it really was a mediocre phone compared to most others.
    - Rich

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    It's a matter of taste. I don't care for the look of the 8x at all. That ended it for me before I even looked at the specs. One man's treasure is another man's trash.

Can't always please everyone, as long as the majority of people like it then that's all that matters.
    Thanked by:
    11B1P, Laura Knotek and abel920 like this.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I think the microphone and larger flash on the backside give it a less-than-sleek look compared to the 920, although I suppose those appeal more to the camera/video crowd. Overall I feel like Nokia did a great job and the phone is still very tasteful.
    hary536 likes this.

Global Posts
    32,216 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    Back in 1991, Chevrolet transformed the long-lived Caprice, giving it curves where it once had lines and angles. I must have been ahead of my time back then, because it was the ugliest car on the road in my book. Give me clean lines! Give me right angles! And then put me in the disagree column on this thread!

Yeah, my Camry has curves, but it's nothing like that Caprice. It has angles as well. And I love it. I've changed some since '91, but man, I still like me some lines.

And yeah, I have to agree with WhyFiNYC - I can't take seriously anyone who puts Trophy above 928. Yeah, it served us well, but it really was a mediocre phone compared to most others.
    I thought the Chevy Caprice looked like an upside down bathtub on wheels! That thing was ugly.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    3,497 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    928=sleek, sexy, and smashing.

Think it is one of the better looking smartphones on the market.
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.
    hary536 likes this.

Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmutt View Post
    928=sleek, sexy, and smashing.

Think it is one of the better looking smartphones on the market.
    I was imagining Austin Powers saying this!
    snowmutt likes this.
    I'm not sure how did Nokia passed such an ugly device to the market...

There is no way i will believe someone thinks this is an ugly phone. If this phone is ugly, what phone is beautiful?
    snowmutt and willied like this.
    to each their own - i thought my Palm Pre 2 looked great with it's clean face and design. but a friend called it ugly

Could not disagree with OP more. Nokia doesn't need lessons from anybody on design. They are doing just fine.

If I wasn't dead set on ditching Verizon, I would have picked up a 928 yesterday after playing with it in store.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast