HI. Returning from Android :-) :-) :-)

biboyflip

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
From the pictures posted above, I do not understand how Galaxy Note 2 blows away NL928. Shots using 928 look more decent. We can say both can take good pictures in day light. Low light is incomparable. -me coming from Android/ Samsung Note.

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
While I don't dispute some of your points especially regarding where MS is choosing to focus, I am totally calling you out on this one.

The Note 2 has infinite timeout when you have the passcode lock disabled.
So does WP8 in the same situation.

Can't say that I can find that option on the 928.

techgeek32

May 14, 2013
Visit site
From the pictures posted above, I do not understand how Galaxy Note 2 blows away NL928. Shots using 928 look more decent. We can say both can take good pictures in day light. Low light is incomparable. -me coming from Android/ Samsung Note.

Sorry. The pictures didn't stay side y side correctly. The first vertical picture in every double is the 928. The horizontal ones are from the Note 2. There is a clear difference in color reproduction and most of the 928 pictures have a yellow hue. I know that you can make several adjustments to the Nokia but my test was shooting stock because most users don't always have time to fiddle with settings before shooting a picture.

PhreePhlyer

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Sorry. The pictures didn't stay side y side correctly. The first vertical picture in every double is the 928. The horizontal ones are from the Note 2. There is a clear difference in color reproduction and most of the 928 pictures have a yellow hue. I know that you can make several adjustments to the Nokia but my test was shooting stock because most users don't always have time to fiddle with settings before shooting a picture.

For the record, I don't have my 928, yet. Ordered a Black one and it's in transport. But, when I first got my Thunderbolt, replacing my Incredible, I was severely disappointed with my pictures compared to the old Incredible. It turned out that somehow, before I got the phone, the white balance was way out of skew. I was getting an orangish tinge on everything. I complained on a couple of forums about it and someone told me to check the camera settings. I told them I never adjusted them and was using the phone out of the box. I checked anyway, and figured out the problem. Could it be you are having the same issue? I'm looking at some of the other OOTB pictures taken by folks on this forum with their new 928's and they are frankly fantastic.

Winfonejunkie

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
The point is techgeek has shown that he is infact what hew calls himself, a "tech geek". By default its clear Android will be his smartphone os of choice because it allows him the most customizability. I would argue that most smartphone users could care less about customization and simply want something that works. Windows phone is far superior in that regards. You wouldn't believe the number of people that I've met on a daily basis that show me their new Android smartphones and haven't a clue how to use them. Its sad really. Android phones are powerful, but far far less intutive that other smartphone OS's.

Windows Phones are an overall superior product, and once people start to see this we'll see the tides change.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The issue you see is primarily white balance.. something that can be set and changed permanently .. i.e. photo settings, daylight then save. At least I'm assuming the 928 is the same camera app as the 920.

I dunno about VZW but the 920 requires several (many) discharges before the battery will perform admirably. I would guess this phone has not even been out long enough for you to see the battery performance improve.. I can go two full days without a charge on my 920 with spotty LTE coverage (i.e. 6am to 6pm on the second day) .. Of course if your getting tons of mail and NOT using "as items arrive" (EAS support) as the email system is designed then possibly you will see poor battery life... dunno.. I don't do that :)

As far a screen timeout.. that is odd... I would assume the same features regardless of carrier on WP 8 .. the only thing limiting the setting is EAS policy.. which sounds like to me has been implemented ... You connect to an Exchange account? Your droid thing probably doesn't honor the EAS policy.. one reason us IT managers don't allow droid to connect to exchange at all. ;) nevermind even asking for VPN aint gonna happen in my world :)

Sounds like you know what you want and if its not exactly droid.. then it wont suit you.. which is fine.. no sense complaining.. just go back.. all good !

Oh.. you might wanna check out a comparison of low light photos.. as well as night scenes.. if the 928 is anywhere close to the 920... then you will see a camera BLOWN out of the water ;) and it wont be the Nokia :) And that's not to mention Video quality with OIS on the Nokia...

good luck with it...

Adretheon

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

I wouldn't say they are an obvious difference on stock. The book shelf pic, the table pic, and the counter are the most notable that can be argued. Did the 928 flash for those pics? Cause it looks like it did and the Note didn't. That would change the color of the picture considerably. The Note pics look like they were taken with the lights off, and the 928 pics look like they taken were with the lights on. Also, with the 2nd outside pic I sometimes have issues with cell phone cameras not adjusting to the light well causing that yellow look in the pictures. Having to restart the camera fixes it.

The pic with the fridge and the one with the rock wall look exactly the same.

Your first outside pic is the same photo. Not that they just look the same, but you uploaded the same pic twice.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I will keep this short and simple for now since I'm at work:

1. I have owned upwards of 10 Android devices over the past 3+ years including the Note 2. I was heavy into rooting, modding, theming, etc. No matter which device you have, how beefy the specs are....the phone will lag. Maybe not on day 1, but it will within a couple weeks or so. Dalvik Cache is dumb.

2. The camera on the 928 is not "blown out of the water" by the Note 2. If you just take one quick and easy step and change the white balance, the 928 does just fine. And in low light, let's not even compare that part since we know who gets blown out of the water there. Ditto for video.

3. Please take a look at my battery life thread and don't form battery life conclusions after just a few days. These batteries need several charge cycles for them to hit their peak battery life. It is also like this on Android phones. My 928 is sitting at 53% after being off the charger for 21 hours. And yes I've been using the phone.

This phone is excellent, and if it doesn't work for your business needs then just use what works. No sense in trying to fit a square peg into a circle. It's not that serious and shouldn't be a stressful situation. If Android works better then use Android, if iOS works better then use that, etc.

Last edited:

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
My point exactly! You could do all of these things on an older Windows Mobile phone. Microsoft Office is great but the functionality is no better than the iPhone. Android and possibly BB are the only two platforms that provide full email functionality like you would have on a computer.

Symbian as well, to a degree. I could certainly do more, functionally, on my N8 than on my Lumia 900. However, the overall experience of using WP far outweighs that capability (for me).

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
The camera points 100% true. I went through same thing. 928 is not a point and shoot. It is a adjust 15 settings, download HD viewer, run through Creative Studios clarity app ...and shoot.

If you are shooting in a well lit environment, try going to Sports mode in Scene, 100 ISO, and Daylight White Balance. This works much better than Auto.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking about making the change as well, Windows 8 really impressed me so i was thinking of making the switch. I'm just worried about battery life.

Battery life should not be a concern, especially if you are coming from Android when everything can run when it wants to.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Bah windows phone 7.8 is the better OS. Windows 8 video DRM does not exist = FAIL.

Oh and as for the 928 if you have to use the flash you'll be ******** in the first week about returning the phone. As the new flash they're using makes everything yellow. Bad move on Nokia's part. http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/05/20/nokia-lumia-928-xenon-flash-is-not-worth-the-purchase/

Mark this post!

And you honestly believe that article? Do you even have this phone?

If you tried the camera on this phone and read the comments below that article then you would know that there is something horribly wrong.

My low light photos look nothing like that and neither do the people's posting in this forum.

Brad Miller2

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I work in IT every day. I am NOT a ******. I've used Android phones EXCLUSIVELY for the last 4+ years, until I got the 928 last week. A few points:

• My battery life on the 928 SUCKED until the 3rd full charge cycle - now it lasts and lasts and lasts!
  • If a 5-minute max screen timeout is a DEALBREAKER, then go to another OS. But if that is your dealbreaker for WP, maybe you are trying to justify a reason to yourself to NOT switch?
  • I also own my own sports photography studio (OhioValleyPhoto.com) and I can tell you it takes about 10 seconds to get rid of that yellow cast from the Xenon flash - again, if that's a deal breaker, maybe you are just trying to find reasons not to deal in the first place?

Of course, "To Each his own", "Your Mileage may vary", etc, etc, etc - but I can tell you that for what I use a smartphone for, this 928 is THE PHONE. I spent the first 48 hours TRYING to find a reason to take it back and wait for the Galaxy S4 release. The fact that I'm still here means that I may still occasionally whine or complain or the lack of an IR blaster but a detail that small is no deal-breaker for me when everything this phone DOES do, it does MAGNIFICENTLY.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
5. Screen standby is only 5 minutes max. This will probably be fixed in a few months with an update.
6. No notification system. This is a known problem with Windows Phone 8 and one that Microsoft might fix down the road.
7. Less than average camera. I have taken over 50 pictures with both the 928 and my Galaxy Note 2 on automatic settings and stock camera apps without making adjustments and there was only 1 picture out of 50 that the 928 took a better photo than the Note 2. That really surprised me as I was expecting this 928 camera to blow the Note 2 away. I will be posting some comparison pix next week to prove my point. Most of the pictures were not even close. The 928 was always yellow when the Xenon flash was used and the colors were not accurate and oversaturated. The Note 2 gave much better color representation and crisper, clearer images.
9. Battery life is still not quite there. It is definitely better than the 8x, but I still can't make it through a full day without charging. Off the charger at 6am and need to charge it by 2pm and then make it to about 10pm. That is 8 hours which is what most users want but my Note 2 can make it a day and a half without a charge.

All of the points i didnt refer to ARE correct, they should be fixed. However, for these others...this is my input:

5. Looking at my Lumia 920, i see "30 mins" and "Never". You will probably get a fix for 928 soon.
6. PERSONALLY, i hope they dont just copy something similar to Android or iOS b/c im not a fan of their systems (had an S3, my wife has a iP5). I can live without this, not a necessity to me.
7. Really? Thats disappointing for 928 because everyone that sees my 920 pictures is blown away. Amoungst my friends, we are comparing iPhone5, Androids (not S4) and my Lumia is always coming out ontop. Even in daylight.
9. I've been complaining about my battery since i got the device...its getting better each week, the more i use it the longer its lasting. i would say give it a few weeks, it will start to improve.

techgeek32

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say they are an obvious difference on stock. The book shelf pic, the table pic, and the counter are the most notable that can be argued. Did the 928 flash for those pics? Cause it looks like it did and the Note didn't. That would change the color of the picture considerably. The Note pics look like they were taken with the lights off, and the 928 pics look like they taken were with the lights on. Also, with the 2nd outside pic I sometimes have issues with cell phone cameras not adjusting to the light well causing that yellow look in the pictures. Having to restart the camera fixes it.

The pic with the fridge and the one with the rock wall look exactly the same.

Your first outside pic is the same photo. Not that they just look the same, but you uploaded the same pic twice.

Yes. I stated that the tree pic was the same. Both from the 928. All of the indoor pictures were taken with flash on, so the Note 2 was clearly the winner there. I would love to get the 928 camera working the way it should be because I am sure that it must be better than the Note 2. The rock pictures are not the same, you can see much greater detail in the Note 2 pic that is horizontal over the 928.

I will adjust the settings to daylight from Auto and see if that helps. Pictures taken in complete darkness are certainly better on the 928 and videos are as well. I was expecting a lot more from the 928 camera after all of the hype.

techgeek32

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I will keep this short and simple for now since I'm at work:

1. I have owned upwards of 10 Android devices over the past 3+ years including the Note 2. I was heavy into rooting, modding, theming, etc. No matter which device you have, how beefy the specs are....the phone will lag. Maybe not on day 1, but it will within a couple weeks or so. Dalvik Cache is dumb.

2. The camera on the 928 is not "blown out of the water" by the Note 2. If you just take one quick and easy step and change the white balance, the 928 does just fine. And in low light, let's not even compare that part since we know who gets blown out of the water there. Ditto for video.

3. Please take a look at my battery life thread and don't form battery life conclusions after just a few days. These batteries need several charge cycles for them to hit their peak battery life. It is also like this on Android phones. My 928 is sitting at 53% after being off the charger for 21 hours. And yes I've been using the phone.

This phone is excellent, and if it doesn't work for your business needs then just use what works. No sense in trying to fit a square peg into a circle. It's not that serious and shouldn't be a stressful situation. If Android works better then use Android, if iOS works better then use that, etc.

Believe me. I am not stressed out about it at all. I have owned so many smartphones I can't even count. I love WP8, just wish they had some improvements to email and calendar. That is pretty much what I am saying. I switch between several different phones on a regular basis and will continue using WP8. I would love for Microsoft to make this OS what it could be and hope they put the manpower behind it to get it done. The biggest advantage for me with WP8 is the Bluetooth functionality in the car. I love being able to have text message read aloud and being able to respond without touching my phone. I also like that voice features work with the touch of a button while driving and are more accurate than IOS, Android or Blackberry. Those features alone will probably be why I keep the 928 and put up with some of the shortcomings of the OS.

techgeek32

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Battery life should not be a concern, especially if you are coming from Android when everything can run when it wants to.

That was true with older Android devices. The Note 2 actually lasts me up to two days with heavy use. So far the 928 can only make it through half the day with the same use. I also have the brightness on high on the Note 2 and on Auto with the 928. The Note 2 battery is bigger, but I owned the SGIII and that phone had excellent battery life for an Android device.

techgeek32

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I work in IT every day. I am NOT a ******. I've used Android phones EXCLUSIVELY for the last 4+ years, until I got the 928 last week. A few points:

• My battery life on the 928 SUCKED until the 3rd full charge cycle - now it lasts and lasts and lasts!
  • If a 5-minute max screen timeout is a DEALBREAKER, then go to another OS. But if that is your dealbreaker for WP, maybe you are trying to justify a reason to yourself to NOT switch?
  • I also own my own sports photography studio (OhioValleyPhoto.com) and I can tell you it takes about 10 seconds to get rid of that yellow cast from the Xenon flash - again, if that's a deal breaker, maybe you are just trying to find reasons not to deal in the first place?

Of course, "To Each his own", "Your Mileage may vary", etc, etc, etc - but I can tell you that for what I use a smartphone for, this 928 is THE PHONE. I spent the first 48 hours TRYING to find a reason to take it back and wait for the Galaxy S4 release. The fact that I'm still here means that I may still occasionally whine or complain or the lack of an IR blaster but a detail that small is no deal-breaker for me when everything this phone DOES do, it does MAGNIFICENTLY.

I am not trying to justify getting rid of WP8. I will keep it and want the OS to succeed. I know that the 5 minute standby will be fixed in a future update and that there must be a way to get this camera to sing. I am underwhelmed by the email and calendar apps within the OS, but those might improve over time and I can probably live with that. I am sure that the battery life will get better, but if I can't find a way to make the camera perform the way it should I won't be using this phone as much as the other ones I have. I am tired of Android and hate IOS so I am doing everything I can to make the 928 work.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

Can you share what camera setting you found to maximize the 928 ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon