Questions about upgrading from a Droid to the 928 on an Unlimited data account

IndecisiveWhippet

May 22, 2013
Visit site
So I am very familiar with the process on how to upgrade a phone on an unlimited data account using a basic phone, but I still have a few questions to ensure I get this process right.

1) Do I need to do this process online? I am very anxious to get the Nokia Lumia 928 asap so I would rather not have to order it online and wait for it to ship. Based on previous posts in this forum it seems like almost everyone who does it does it online, is there a reason for this? Are employees angry/ not supportive when people come in to do this loop whole?

2) Do I need to have physical possession of the basic phone that I am using the subsidized upgrade on? The phone is someones on my family plan that is not in the same state as me so I wouldn't have physical possession of the basic phone. This means that if I were hypothetically able to go do the process in the store, would I also need to bring the basic phone with me?

3) Will I need to buy a sim card, if so how? I am really confused on the whole sim card situation and don't understand what switching of sim cards needs to occur. I have a Droid Incredible OG so I don't have a sim card to switch to the Lumia 928 when I get it, so how will this work? Do I need to buy a new one? Or will I be able to use the sim card that comes in the 928? Will the sim card that comes in the 928 be linked to the phone number of the basic line?

4) If I can indeed do this process in a store, do I need to go to a Corporate Store?

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
If you go through the process on Verizon's site, there ar options to add a sim card (for the 4G) and to keep your existing data plan (if you selected to buy it outright).

You don't need to go to a corporate store. You can buy the phone from anywhere and then just manage your account from Verizon online. There is an option to replace the device on your line. you just have to enter the ESN. You can do this even if you are still on contract for that line.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
So I am very familiar with the process on how to upgrade a phone on an unlimited data account using a basic phone, but I still have a few questions to ensure I get this process right.

1) Do I need to do this process online? I am very anxious to get the Nokia Lumia 928 asap so I would rather not have to order it online and wait for it to ship. Based on previous posts in this forum it seems like almost everyone who does it does it online, is there a reason for this? Are employees angry/ not supportive when people come in to do this loop whole?

2) Do I need to have physical possession of the basic phone that I am using the subsidized upgrade on? The phone is someones on my family plan that is not in the same state as me so I wouldn't have physical possession of the basic phone. This means that if I were hypothetically able to go do the process in the store, would I also need to bring the basic phone with me?

3) Will I need to buy a sim card, if so how? I am really confused on the whole sim card situation and don't understand what switching of sim cards needs to occur. I have a Droid Incredible OG so I don't have a sim card to switch to the Lumia 928 when I get it, so how will this work? Do I need to buy a new one? Or will I be able to use the sim card that comes in the 928? Will the sim card that comes in the 928 be linked to the phone number of the basic line?

4) If I can indeed do this process in a store, do I need to go to a Corporate Store?

1) You do not have to do this process online. When I first upgraded my Trophy to the 8x, I found that doing online for me was the easiest as I had full control. I know in my area reps at Best Buy have helped people out with keeping their unlimited data. As with anything else, I would imagine just part of it is about getting lucky and finding a rep who is familiar with the process.

2) You do not necessarily need physical possession of the basic phone. But you will need to know the IMEI number and the person with the phone will have to do *228 after you switch the phone online to activate it.

3) I know when I did this with the 8x I used the same sim card the 8x came with. This question may be best answered, though, with someone who is more familiar with sim cards.

4) At least in my experience, I found that reps at the Corporate store were not very helpful with keeping unlimited data. They only push the shared data plans. But again part may be just who you get and if they are even familiar with the process. I do know that I found out about the process and how to do it through Verizon's Customer Service Online Chat. Again depends on who you get.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss