JamesForKing

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yep. Fell less than two feet, but it must have hit that sweet spot. Even had the best case they money can buy for it.

Oh wait...that's a TWENTY DOLLAR PIECE OF SILICONE. Someone, please release a nice case in a timely fashion, my phone's life depends on it. (Still taking responsibility, it slid out of my pocket. Stupid loose sweatpants with a small pocket. But a case probably would've stopped it.)

Had insurance through Asurion thank God.
Oh wait, it's backordered, and I won't have it for a week. Shouldn't I get some discount, they overnight everything else?

FML.

baaahthesheep

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Wow, sorry to hear about that. Agree, like someone else on another thread pointed out, the lack of accessories for the 928 doesn't make it seem like much of a hero device. I'm still waiting on a good case and armband to go with it.

JamesForKing

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks im kinda down. Cracked phone for a week. Have to hide it, too, or I'll never hear the end of this. Lack of cases is severely depressing, and can and will affect sales.

My advice to everyone...treat it like an egg that has an uncracked value of $499.

ElectricPotato

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
No. No phone is indestructible. Not scratch proof, not shatter proof. I've learned over the years that you have to treat your phone like the several hundred dollar piece of electronics that it is.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear it..... My advice to everyone is to contact the case provider of their choice and let them know that we want cases for this phone. I've contacted several, with mostly positive (we're working on it, or we plan to) replies.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear you at least had insurance! I always carry it on my devices you never know!
Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I got some screen scratches yesterday. My dumbass forgot to grab my case and screen protector. I went to the beach sand was all over my screen. Ugh oh well

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used a case or screen protector in many years. Never had scratches or drops. I guess I just really pay attention when handling my phone. Stays in my front pocket by itself. I love the feel and size of the phone naked.

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
it's real shame, I had mine drop on cement ground three times, ended up with a slight dent on the corner and a scratch on the display...

redgtconv

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Why are these screens scratching? They are Gorilla Glass 2 and are supposed to be several times stronger than the original Gorilla Glass. I have had a Droid X for 3 years, no case, no screen protector. I have dropped this phone about 6 times from 3 to 6 feet on concrete and tile flooring. Not even 1 scratch on the screen which is made of the original Gorilla Glass. I don't like the added bulk of a case and I don't think a screen protector should be necessary. I was going to get the 928 this week, but this is scaring me off.

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Anytime you have the glass covering the entire front of the phone it's going to be easier to break when dropped, because it has less casing to absorb the shock. As for GG2, it is stronger, thus allowing manufacturers to use thinner sheets of glass. It's more scratch resistant than the first gen, but it's still glass, so it can shatter, especially if it gets hit on a corner.

I baby my phones personally, I only just got my first scratch on my 2 year old Trophy a couple weeks ago. I don't actually know how it happened. Here's hoping I have just as good of luck with this phone. I do wonder about the oleophobic coating though, I suspect it will be prone to scratching even if the glass itself isn't.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Why are these screens scratching? They are Gorilla Glass 2 and are supposed to be several times stronger than the original Gorilla Glass. I have had a Droid X for 3 years, no case, no screen protector. I have dropped this phone about 6 times from 3 to 6 feet on concrete and tile flooring. Not even 1 scratch on the screen which is made of the original Gorilla Glass. I don't like the added bulk of a case and I don't think a screen protector should be necessary. I was going to get the 928 this week, but this is scaring me off.

This has been discussed before. I know I saw a thread about it... Most likely the scratches are on a layer of the glass and the glass itself is ok. I have also read that while GG or GG is incredibly strong alng its flat surface, it is still prone to shattering if impacted from the side. That being said, there's a YouTube video of a 920 taking a fastball at 90+mph and surviving just fine. Then there's also a 920 getting demolised by a hammer falling on it from about 3 feet.

I've dropped my 928 a couple of times from desk height and no scratches or beakage. I think it's one of those "when it's time, it's time." type of things. Until then, use it like the tool it was intended to be. Not the center of your universe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos