Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By cmwys
  • 2 Post By wpbrian
  • 1 Post By wpbrian
  • 1 Post By maylea31
  • 3 Post By Westiemom
  1. GreenScrew's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    216 Posts
       #1  
    I use an HTC 8x myself but wanted to have a look at the 928 marketing on the 928 while I kick myself a little for not holding out longer. But don't get me wrong I really love my 8x... in any event, the reviews on this phone at the VZW website are amazing! Extremely positive from lots of people who've switched from other platforms and seem extremely surprised how great the phone and WP8 are. Great to see, I hope the word gets out. Hope it does well....

    Set Your Location
  2. Somerichs's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    45 Posts
    #2  
    The cynic in me always wonders how many of those are genuine and how many are "plants."
  3. explosive0's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    312 Posts
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerichs View Post
    The cynic in me always wonders how many of those are genuine and how many are "plants."
    Definitely not genuine. I left a 2-star review and it was never published. They publish only 4 or 5 star reviews, and perhaps a 3 star once in a while.
  4. #4  
    With all the defects we have found in the first batch of phones I would expect a few negative reviews.
  5. o4liberty's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    300 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,322 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Haeven View Post
    With all the defects we have found in the first batch of phones I would expect a few negative reviews.
    What defects? I have the 928 and haven't found a signal one!
    Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express
  6. explosive0's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    312 Posts
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by o4liberty View Post
    What defects? I have the 928 and haven't found a signal one!
    Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express
    Lots have the ****ed up Windows key. Mine suddenly drains 50% of the battery in a few minutes. Complete freeze when I'm on a call sometimes. I'm forced to do a reset.
  7. Cylemmulo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #7  
    I don't know about disallowing reviews, they denied a 4 star I gave one for i have no clue why, they have weird rules. I did think it was extremely odd that all like 81 reviews are 4 and 5 stars and only a handful of 4 stars really. I know people have had some issues so no clue why there aren't any bad reviews
  8. cmwys's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by o4liberty View Post
    What defects? I have the 928 and haven't found a signal one!
    Lol I've had 4 Lumia 928's myself, all but one with a completely different defect from the others. Two of them made the phone unusable and the third would probably have eventually made the the phone unusable.

    But even with this unlucky experience I still love my 928. I chatted with Nokia support and more or less came away feeling able to dismiss these defects as issues with getting enough product manufactured in time for the first batch to meet the availability date. If future batches show nothing but clean start buttons then that likely validates this supposition.

    I'm not sure what I would rate this device but I don't think basing it on the defective devices is called for as those reflect more on the corporation's quality assurance/manufacturing. For me, it did reflect quite nicely on Verizon's customer service in their helpfulness and willingness to do what they could and assuring me that I shouldn't have to bother with a less than perfect device and should definitely replace it whereas Nokia requested that I send them my phone and wait up to 2 weeks for them to evaluate and either repair or replace. Though I do understand why Nokia's process is the way it is, it's not consumer friendly and I think Verizon's quick replacements better serves the consumer as they can then communicate with Nokia directly and get the issues evaluated without affecting the customer.
    DarkCobra20 likes this.
  9. DarkCobra20's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwys View Post
    Lol I've had 4 Lumia 928's myself, all but one with a completely different defect from the others. Two of them made the phone unusable and the third would probably have eventually made the the phone unusable.

    But even with this unlucky experience I still love my 928. I chatted with Nokia support and more or less came away feeling able to dismiss these defects as issues with getting enough product manufactured in time for the first batch to meet the availability date. If future batches show nothing but clean start buttons then that likely validates this supposition.

    I'm not sure what I would rate this device but I don't think basing it on the defective devices is called for as those reflect more on the corporation's quality assurance/manufacturing. For me, it did reflect quite nicely on Verizon's customer service in their helpfulness and willingness to do what they could and assuring me that I shouldn't have to bother with a less than perfect device and should definitely replace it whereas Nokia requested that I send them my phone and wait up to 2 weeks for them to evaluate and either repair or replace. Though I do understand why Nokia's process is the way it is, it's not consumer friendly and I think Verizon's quick replacements better serves the consumer as they can then communicate with Nokia directly and get the issues evaluated without affecting the customer.
    I will agree with you that Nokia is a little different in terms, but they are also the manufacturer and can request that. That's partially why it's easier to work with the carrier in the beginning then going to the manufacturer. I actually am planning to bring mine in to get it replaced as I have noticed my speaker getting quiet after being on the speaker phone chatting. The ringtone shouldn't end up ringing quieter in the end after that and then of course the normal quirks we all know about such as the Windows button and the vibrate.

    I will say though that I absolutely love this phone and won't for a second look the other way. The button is a small blemish in all honesty, the vibrate is a bothersome thing to be honest in my opinion, especially since I do rely on vibrate at times. But other then that, hopefully we can chalk it up to the initial batch!
  10. wpbrian's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    65 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by explosive012 View Post
    Definitely not genuine. I left a 2-star review and it was never published. They publish only 4 or 5 star reviews, and perhaps a 3 star once in a while.
    Well I gave a 5-star review 5 days ago and it hasn't been published either, so I would hold off on the conspiracy theories.
    hopmedic and snowmutt like this.
  11. wpbrian's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    65 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by o4liberty View Post
    What defects? I have the 928 and haven't found a signal one!
    Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express
    My wife and I each got one on launch day. We are like pigs in sh*t! No defects, everything works great, battery life is amazing and seems to be getting better with each charge.
    snowmutt likes this.
  12. rmichael75's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    298 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by wpbrian View Post
    My wife and I each got one on launch day. We are like pigs in sh*t! No defects, everything works great, battery life is amazing and seems to be getting better with each charge.
    Well I think we have two categories of pple. Some they use it and ignore/ never become aware of minor issues and some who are very picky and choosy who find the smallest thing to complain and return..

    I am in the first group. Have 2 710s. One has the windows button panel looking like it is full of light. and other at times fail to connect to connect to cell phone signal after say you come from basement. 50 % of times it connects and sometimes it doesn't. Well we continue to use our phones normally and happy about it.

    I just bought a 920 from ebay. am sure there will be small issues. but hey it is a phone.. and a brand new. you will have defects.. these defects will be ironed out. and by the time it stabilizes, you will be on the next new phone...

    I think the problem here is the phone is also new and the OS is also new... so too many bugs.

    Anyway enjoy your phone as is.
  13. devspeed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    #13  
    I held out for a black one and I haven't had any issues. The battery doesn't last all day but I have the DT-910 so that isn't a problem. The Bluetooth and auto brightness is much better than the Trophy.
  14. maylea31's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    #14  
    I have had no issues with my phone and battery life is at 18 hours with light use and 12 to 13 with moderate to heavy use. I will take that over my galaxy nexus 6 hours! Love this phone. BTW when I got my Nexus 7, it was out of the first production run and it had a screen lamination issue. Happens in first run devices. That is why I decided to pay more for the 928 at a local Verizon store instead of newegg.com.
    snowmutt likes this.
  15. Westiemom's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    #15  
    I would have to nix the conspiracy theories too. I also went to Verizon's website to peruse the reviews on the 928, just to see what folks were saying. I was pleasantly surprised at all the positive reviews. Then just to compare what people were saying about different phones, I looked at the reviews for the iPhone 5. There were a lot of 1 and 2 star reviews, which also surprised me. So I don't think Verizon filters out low ratings or those wouldn't have been there on the iPhone 5. But I have also noticed looking at Verizon reviews through the years, that the longer a phone has been out the lower the overall rating seems to get. The HTC 8X (which I have) was higher when I got mine and has slipped some now. I think as new phones come out people rate the "older" ones lower. The overall rating will probably go down on the 928 over time from the overall 5 star rating it has now. Just seems like it's a natural progression from the excitement over a new phone.
  16. snowmutt's Avatar

    Posts
    3,491 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,509 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #16  
    I depend on user reviews way more then expert ones. It is so rare an "expert" actually slams a premium phone anymore. Users will. I have never been a "launch day"buyer of anything but books and music.

    Heck, last time I bought a lawnmower I found a site and compared reviews. Cars, computers, kitchen appliances,pick it. I post reviews on cell phones, cases, anything I buy for that reason. Give the 928 about 2 months, then check the reviews. I bet it will still be about 4 1/2 stars.

    Buy with a clear mind- Nokia will support their devices, and Verizon has many detractions as a company, but they tend to take care of their customers. If you get a lemon, they will replace/fix it.
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.
  17. snowmutt's Avatar

    Posts
    3,491 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,509 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by maylea31 View Post
    I have had no issues with my phone and battery life is at 18 hours with light use and 12 to 13 with moderate to heavy use. I will take that over my galaxy nexus 6 hours! Love this phone. BTW when I got my Nexus 7, it was out of the first production run and it had a screen lamination issue. Happens in first run devices. That is why I decided to pay more for the 928 at a local Verizon store instead of newegg.com.
    Excellent advice. Nothing wrong with Amazon, Newegg, or any of these other sites so long as you know what you want and read the fine print. Buying from the carriers may be a little more pricey, but if you are buying a device early in it's run, it may be worth it for it's support.
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Similar Threads

  1. Verizon HTC Trophy has 553 Reviews.
    By Bballbenb in forum HTC Trophy
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-25-2011, 02:03 PM

Posting Permissions