notification of messages

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
For SMS you get a notification(and sound) on the top of your screen that goes away after a few seconds. You also get a count of new SMS messages on your SMS icon and on your contact icon.
wp_ss_20130619_0001_zpsc11a8d98.png

Email only notifies you by tone, then show the message count on the email icon.

that_maynard

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Like if you aren't using your phone and you get a message, is there a notification light or doors the screen light up? My sg3 has an led that flashes when I get new messages. Is there something similar?

romant56

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The lock screen will automatically turn on when you get a text, and the preview will appear at the top of the screen. It only stays on for a few second. After that, there is no missed notification light. This was hard for me coming from Android, but you get used to it and it's still a great OS.

An email will do nothing until you check the lock screen yourself (probably because it would be annoying to have the screen turn on every time you get an email. You can turn on email sound notifications in settings, if you so desire.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
The lack of a notification light was nearly a dealbreaker for me with WP7, too. I mean, I endlessly bitched that BB had a multicolor LED but was too stupid to let me set color notifications (e.g., blue for texts from friends, red for anything else, so I knew if I needed to check the phone quickly or not.)

Going from feeling like a 1 color notification system was too limited to none at all was a hard jump. But, after a week or two I didn't mind.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
The RUMOR is that in the next major update, there will be a notification center. Key word, RUMOR. My one big complaint is that I can't customize the alert tones per contact. That's been a BB feature for YEARS, yet WP doesn't have this basic feature. Everything else I have gotten used to and would never switch to Droid or iOS, and it is the ONE thing I pine for.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
The RUMOR is that in the next major update, there will be a notification center. Key word, RUMOR. My one big complaint is that I can't customize the alert tones per contact. That's been a BB feature for YEARS, yet WP doesn't have this basic feature. Everything else I have gotten used to and would never switch to Droid or iOS, and it is the ONE thing I pine for.

The more recent rumor is that the notification center screen was pulled as they're trying to do something unified across platforms.
I doubt that - it has to be coming.

Yeah, WP8 is missing a whole lot of basic features, but notification profiles is a huge one. Customized alerts would be nice, but I'd kill to not have to lower my volume when I take off my headphones after walking to work to avoid a loud ring.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The more recent rumor is that the notification center screen was pulled as they're trying to do something unified across platforms.
I doubt that - it has to be coming.

Yeah, WP8 is missing a whole lot of basic features, but notification profiles is a huge one. Customized alerts would be nice, but I'd kill to not have to lower my volume when I take off my headphones after walking to work to avoid a loud ring.

Please don't come near me or my family during the expected release times of GDR2 or GDR3

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Please don't come near me or my family during the expected release times of GDR2 or GDR3

So you're saying to expect it in GDR4?!

You're an official source! In a day everyone on this board will be saying that better sound profiles will be coming in GDR4, I saw it on the internet and a board CS guy may or may not have said it to shut up someone complaining over the phone! GDR4, mark it on your calendar!

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
... My one big complaint is that I can't customize the alert tones per contact. That's been a BB feature for YEARS, yet WP doesn't have this basic feature. Everything else I have gotten used to and would never switch to Droid or iOS, and it is the ONE thing I pine for.

It's already on WP8. Go to your People hub, scroll down to the contact for whom you want to add a different ringtone, press and hold for the the contact's name until the menu comes up and select "edit". Then select the "+ ringtone" option and choose your custom ringtone. They don't make it easy to find but it's there!

Personally, I wish they would allow for different ringtones based on which email account gets a new message. But that's just me.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Blackberry went backwards with their notifications on BB10. With 10.0 you could assign ringtones per contact. 10.1 you can now do ringtone, and BBM tone and email tone, but not SMS tone... you can also have the LED blink, or not blink.. that's it.. no colors...

LightFlow, on Android, was an awesome solution for that customization. Not enough to get me to go back, but I hope WP adds more SMS tone options.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
It's already on WP8. Go to your People hub, scroll down to the contact for whom you want to add a different ringtone, press and hold for the the contact's name until the menu comes up and select "edit". Then select the "+ ringtone" option and choose your custom ringtone. They don't make it easy to find but it's there!

Personally, I wish they would allow for different ringtones based on which email account gets a new message. But that's just me.

I think he means different tones for text messages... not ringtones for phone calls.

that_maynard

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I have was mainly wondering about when I got a message if windows had an Led light notification or how I was made aware of incoming emails, texts, etc.

lgdlman

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
New 928 on Verizon, you get lit screen and a red banner with a notification, as I used to see on my iPhone. Loving this new phone!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750