Hard Reset on Nokia Lumia 928 appears stuck

schartzr

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I have a question. I went to settings and about phone and then reset as I want to have a clean install of the software. I am running into an issue as the phone has been on the 2 gear screen (the screen you get when you reset) for over an hour. This to me does not seem right. Any advise on what I should do now?

Do I Let it just keep going? Or how would I go about getting the software one there?

Thanks in advance

Ryon

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. Evidently the miracle cure. Also could try ejecting and then soft reset a few times after 5 minutes each time then let it go until dead. Let me know tomorrow.

schartzr

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
So it died and then I plugged it in to charge it back up and then it went back to the cog screen. :( (I took the sim card out too)

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
has this happen with my Lumia 920...i had to soft reset multiple times (last time this happened it took 4 re-attempts).

volume down + power, hold for 10-15 seconds. It will boot up and gears will show again. if it hasn't fixed it (moved on to boot up), repeat. Also plug it in to make sure when it starts to boot battery doesnt die.

again, this was for the L920...cant confirm same works but im guessing it might since based on same foundation.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Woah that's scary, i would never interrupt it during a reset. It can take over an hour, it has happened to me before! (i typically reset my phones every 3 months)

Berkley Todd

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I just started having this same problem.... Thankfully, this happened on a device which I'm about to return to Verizon after receiving a replacement due to a separate issue. Should I follow through with the reset, or just let it die and send it back to Verizon with no battery? Do you guys think they'd hold me accountable if the screen is stuck on spinning wheels, especially since the device has already been deemed defective by them?

schartzr

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Woah that's scary, i would never interrupt it during a reset. It can take over an hour, it has happened to me before! (i typically reset my phones every 3 months)

Mine was still in the reboot phase for 14 hours that is something that is NOT right. But it all worked out. ;)

ninny1176

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
has this happen with my Lumia 920...i had to soft reset multiple times (last time this happened it took 4 re-attempts).

volume down + power, hold for 10-15 seconds. It will boot up and gears will show again. if it hasn't fixed it (moved on to boot up), repeat. Also plug it in to make sure when it starts to boot battery doesnt die.

again, this was for the L920...cant confirm same works but im guessing it might since based on same foundation.

I'm having the same issue...how long did you wait between resets and the gears showing again? I've done the reset 10 times, still have gears showing after 18 hours.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Just keep at it. It took me day and through the next morning. I was going to return it, but it just rebooted after one last soft rest the next day.

inertiaNokia

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
How long should I wait at the gears screen between each soft reset? My gears have been spinning for a few hours. I took out the sim and did a soft reset with no luck. Should a wait a certain period of time, or if its fixed will it immediately boot up? Thanks for all of your help!

pechio

May 19, 2013
Visit site
How long should I wait at the gears screen between each soft reset? My gears have been spinning for a few hours. I took out the sim and did a soft reset with no luck. Should a wait a certain period of time, or if its fixed will it immediately boot up? Thanks for all of your help!
This is from a Verizon site:
"3. Reset your phone.
Warning: This erases all personal content on your phone and restores the factory settings.

Make sure the charger is disconnected, and switch the phone off.
Press and hold the volume down key, and connect the charger. An exclamation mark (!) is shown on the screen.
Press the keys in the following order: volume up, volume down, power, and volume down. Your phone resets, and boots up. This may take several minutes."

inertiaNokia

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
This is from a Verizon site:
"3. Reset your phone.
Warning: This erases all personal content on your phone and restores the factory settings.

Make sure the charger is disconnected, and switch the phone off.
Press and hold the volume down key, and connect the charger. An exclamation mark (!) is shown on the screen.
Press the keys in the following order: volume up, volume down, power, and volume down. Your phone resets, and boots up. This may take several minutes."

Thanks for the reply pechio. Unfortunately, I have had no luck with that particular solution. Right now my screen is no longer the familiar two gears spinning. Instead, one of the gears has been replaced by the lightning bolt. I'm going to flash it before I go to bed tonight, maybe when I wake up it will be fixed... LOL. I've attched a pic of the current screen my phone is displaying. Thanks again. WP_20130831_014.jpg

D4pp3rD4n

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply pechio. Unfortunately, I have had no luck with that particular solution. Right now my screen is no longer the familiar two gears spinning. Instead, one of the gears has been replaced by the lightning bolt. I'm going to flash it before I go to bed tonight, maybe when I wake up it will be fixed... LOL. I've attched a pic of the current screen my phone is displaying. Thanks again. View attachment 41855

how did everything work out for you?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3