Can't hear callers

travistwin

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
So, the past couple weeks I've been having issues with my 928 (got it launch day). Intermittently, I can't hear callers on the phone. Bluetooth and speaker phone works, just can't hold it up to my ear. I've tried blowing out the headphone jack and plugging and twisting and unplugging the headphones to see if that was the issue with no real success. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Something similar happened to me a few times with my 920. You might want to check that your Bluetooth is turned OFF; I used to leave it on and it would connect to my BT car speaker while I was outside of it. I couldn't hear anything until I figured it out.

Just my 2 cents. Hope you can fix it son.

travistwin

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
That's a very good point. I have indeed done that before. However, in this case, I have it turned off altogether and still have the problem. It's pretty frustrating.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
So, the past couple weeks I've been having issues with my 928 (got it launch day). Intermittently, I can't hear callers on the phone. Bluetooth and speaker phone works, just can't hold it up to my ear. I've tried blowing out the headphone jack and plugging and twisting and unplugging the headphones to see if that was the issue with no real success. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I've had this problem before as well as a couple of other people on these forums. You can find a few responses about it in the Bugs and Defects thread.

Bottom line is that it is a hardware problem. It started happening to me a few weeks after I had my phone, and calls would randomly go silent for me until I learned that the speakerphone still worked. I ended up getting a replacement unit (refurb, unfortunately) sent out to me from Verizon. The replacement unit is working great for the time being. You obviously want to rule out any fixable problems before you replace your hardware, but it seems like you're having the same problem I had.

carolinesami

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
i did today too but when using loudspeaker it worked, but when by plugging in a headset and plugging out, the sound came back but only for few mins and then it goes away again ! i did a soft and hard reset still the same bug

patterncoder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I, too, am experiencing the same problem and find no other alternative except turn the phone in and hope a replacement will work. But the fact that this did not start until a week or so ago and the fact that these posts are just a few days old is rather scary, at least for Nokia. In my case, the sound will come in and out and sometimes will be very faint, definitely seems like a hardware problem. It's been hot and I have been working on a construction project and sweat is an issue that could explain the problem.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Bad news. This same problem that happened to my original Lumia 928 just started happening to the replacement as well. I've had this replacement for less than 4 weeks. The audio started disappearing on calls from the earpiece, but it's still coming through loud and clear through the speakerphone. This time though, it looks like it's happening on every single call, not just randomly.

I'd be curious to see what percentage of Lumia 928 users have experienced this problem, as it's happened to me with both devices I've had so far after 3-4 weeks of use. I kept both of them in close to perfect condition with no drops whatsoever.

Travis Moore

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, that it is really disconcerting. I'm supposed to be getting my replacement unit tomorrow. I really hope it's not the same story....

lugies

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Just started happening to me too! Voice cuts in and out sometimes, but mostly can't hear them at all unless on speaker. My lumia 928 dropped 1.5 feet onto carpet a couple of days ago...

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I. also am a Lumia 920 sufferer. I originally experienced screen blackout when answering a call and could not see the screen to teminate call. Then the on/off switch went faulty and local Nokia Care Centre sent the unit off for repair/replaement. It seems that a complete new unit was not issued, but a new motherboard was fitted to the original casing. However it was classified as "replacement".
HOWEVER, the replacement unit does not allow me to hear callers. So I press 'Speaker" and then my call can be heard by me (AND everyone within earshot).
My family tell me I should (like them) have opted for an iPhone! I'm beginning to see their point of view.......
Nokia Lumia 920 is a great disappointment.

Christian Sosa

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-928/226146-15.htm#post2071977

I had a similar issue.....

Hey guys my name is Chris, I think I found a bug in my Nokia Lumia 928 device. I also found a solution 😃. Anyways

symptom : Internal speaker will stop working. When you make a call you can't hear anything but they will hear you just fine. Changing to loudspeaker you can hear everything just fine. Have not tries headphones or Bluetooth.

Cause: If you recently played music through 3.5mm jack and change settings under (Options>audio>) if you touch the the two settings DD or audio normalization. The next hours or day you will stop receiving audio from the front. Restarting the phone will not fix it, holding volume and power key won't fix it either.

Extra: Those two settings that I mention earlier should only be available if your phone is plugged via a 3.5mm however if you're experiencing this bug you can turn them off and on, even if those settings are suppose to be grey out because you are not connected to a 3.5mm cable.

Solution: plug the 3.5mm cable back again, go to audio settings and change the settings on and off. This time when you unplug the cable those settings should "grey out".

I had this issue more than once. The settings are under (Settings>Audio>enhancements)

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Not sure that was the cause for me. It honestly happened immediately after that fall, and it was a fairly permanent thing. I use my headphones every day, and it never fixed. It was fairly random whether I could hear or not, and putting pressure behind the speaker and/or hitting the side of the phone occasionally resolved it. Occasionally. I took it in for a new one, works fantastic.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I was one of those few owners that touted a pristine error free device. That all changed this past Saturday night when I started experiencing this bug. I did all known troubleshoots with no resolution. Yesterday I call Verizon, who confirmed this issue is noted in their system and will be sending me a refurbished unit. Other than this problem my device was in perfect shape, so while I am hoping the ear speaker gets resolved, I hope that I don't get problems I never had.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I received the replacement unit today and I didn't get a chance to test if the audio issue was present. I could not get past how scratched up the screen was... "like new" my ***! I'm sending that crap back. I hope I'm not getting caught up in an endless loop.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I received the replacement unit today and I didn't get a chance to test if the audio issue was present. I could not get past how scratched up the screen was... "like new" my ***! I'm sending that crap back. I hope I'm not getting caught up in an endless loop.

That sucks, sorry to hear that Vallos. My refurb unit looked to be in pretty new condition, but did come with a couple of drawbacks that my first phone didn't have like the gunky Windows button and less effective vibrate.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it's a drag. I can deal with the gunky home button, but the screen is the last thing I would accept being less than perfect. that is the first thing people ask when reselling the device.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
My replacement phone #2 came in and sear speaker is working. I can finally hear callers (so far). The cool thing is the GDR2 and Amber update, so today is a good day!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa