Screen Stuck In Portrait Mode. How to enable Landscape?

pudgewack

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello all! I just recently switched from Android (HTC DNA) to the 928. So far, I am very happy with the switch! But I am having problem with the 928 and was hoping someone can provide a fix.

The 928 is stuck in portrait orientation. Apps like IE, gallery, metro tube, etc., will not switch to landscape. Although relatively minor, this is an inconvenience.

And app called Diagnostics Toolset gives some whacky results for accelerometer (completely stuck in bottom left).

I have tried a soft rest, but get same behavior. Have not done a hard reset yet (am on vacation and not exactly sure how the WP8 backup system works. Would prefer to be home to backup all high res pics and downloads to computer before reset).

Thinking this may be a hardware issue. However, I bought the phone used on swappa, so not sure if it us covered under warranty.

Does anyone have a suggestion to get landscape mode working on my 928?

Thanks,
Matt

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
That sounds like hardware to me, I had an HTC Trophy (WP7 model) do the same thing.

Hello all! I just recently switched from Android (HTC DNA) to the 928. So far, I am very happy with the switch! But I am having problem with the 928 and was hoping someone can provide a fix.

The 928 is stuck in portrait orientation. Apps like IE, gallery, metro tube, etc., will not switch to landscape. Although relatively minor, this is an inconvenience.

And app called Diagnostics Toolset gives some whacky results for accelerometer (completely stuck in bottom left).

I have tried a soft rest, but get same behavior. Have not done a hard reset yet (am on vacation and not exactly sure how the WP8 backup system works. Would prefer to be home to backup all high res pics and downloads to computer before reset).

Thinking this may be a hardware issue. However, I bought the phone used on swappa, so not sure if it us covered under warranty.

Does anyone have a suggestion to get landscape mode working on my 928?

Thanks,
Matt

pudgewack

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Not the answer i was hoping for, but kinda of what i was thinking.

Does anyone have any suggestions on things to try to fix? Not sure I can do a warranty claim since I bought the device used.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
First thing I'd try is a hard reset - the whole Settings | About | Reset your phone | blah blah blah. Make sure you back up pictures first. If it does the same thing after a hard reset, then it is hardware. If you have Verizon's insurance, it doesn't matter if you bought the phone used, from the way I understand things. The insurance is tied to the phone number, not the specific phone. At least that's the way I understand it.

pudgewack

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Just as a follow up, I fixed the problem, but not sure how...

I backup all my pics and did a hard reset. I opted to restore from my backup. After a quick test, the problem still persisted.

Later in the evening, I installed the Level app from Microsoft, installed Weather Flow, and uninstalled Amazing weather HD.......and bam, all of a sudden the screen changes orientation.

Not sure why it is working, but glad that it is.

Thanks for all your help!

Matt

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
As a side note, it was intermittent on my Trophy before failing completely. So here's to hoping that yours was just an odd software glitch...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786