Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By Caleb Spronk
  • 2 Post By Caleb Spronk
  • 1 Post By Haigs

I just bought my first Windows Phone after being an Android guy for years (having used the Droid Incredible, then the Droid Thunderbolt, then the Galaxy Nexus), and figured it was worth sharing my initial impressions:

Pros:
    1. Great battery life - Still >30% left after a full day of playing around with my new phone, hardly letting it sit. I've been using it for 2 weeks now, and as long as I don't let Drive+ run in the background, the battery life seems absolutely superb. I've even had a day it was almost 50% left after a full 17 hours of being off the charger.
    2. GPS connects instantly, everytime - Might be more of a con for my Galaxy Nexus, but that would take over a minute to get a lock on the GPS signal.
    3. Everything is super snappy. I'm constantly impressed how fast it is... and I was a power user who flashed different ROMS on my Galaxy Nexus to get the best performance as possible.
    4. Wireless charging is amazing.
    5. Super cheap flagship device for off-contract device... I got mine for $450 at an official Verizon Store, $250 less than the GS4.
    6. Amazing camera - Definitely the best phone camera I've used... but it's nothing like the 1020 pics I've been seeing online. I mostly find the color reproduction is it's main strong point versus my old Galaxy Nexus... pictures just seem much more natural.
    7. Dedicated camera button - Can't figure out why every phone manufacturer doesn't do this.
    8. The update cycle. While I haven't actually seen it myself yet, all reports sound like Microsoft is much quicker and uniform at getting updates out to their devices than Android.

Cons:
    1. Missing tons of apps - While I'm finding replacements for most, it's really frustrating that some big apps aren't there (like Dropbox, Gmail, Google Maps, Hangouts (Google), MyFitnessPro, MLB At Bat, theScore, etc)
    2. Big name apps that do exist aren't nearly as developed as their Android counterparts. (Facebook, Rdio, Twitter, etc)
    3. Small UI things can be frustrating (no way to display battery percentage on the main notification bar)
    4. Most apps and UI elements seem too simplistic... I miss the busy Android apps, like Beautiful Weather Widgets. This just seems to be the design aesthetic between Android (busy) and WP8 (simple). It's a blessing and a curse.
    5. No LED notification light... mostly offset by the lock screen being super useful, and it lighting up when getting notifications. But I miss being able to use LightFlow to coordinate different colors for different types of notifications on my GNexus (purple for SMS, Red for Gmail, Green for battery, Blue for work email, etc). But, I can't count the colored notifications against it too much since Samsung is the only Android OEM who does this, and I've vowed to not buy their phones until they take build quality seriously.
    6. Notifications are far more fleshed out on Android than Windows Phone. Supposedly, this is what WP8.1 is going to address, but that's a rumor.
    7. All volume is tied together. So Ringer, Notification, and Media all share the same volume level. Super annoying when you want to silence your phone, but still watch an occasional video.

I originally had Xbox Music as a plus, but after I realized it doesn't sync with my Zune desktop client (which I've been building a library in for years), I am frankly quite pissed. I had already been slowly switching over to Rdio, and that was the final nail in the coffin for me paying Microsoft for a Music subscription.

Overall, I went into this with the intention of trying it out for 2 weeks, and then returning the phone, but I've found that just the performance and battery life were enough to keep me here. Those are things that would require drastic rewrites of the Android OS to achieve, and I believe (obviously my opinion) that Microsoft can catch up on the other things quicker than Android could fix their issues. Plus, I love Nokia, and it really feels good to be supporting them again. Then again, I'd feel good supporting HTC as well, so it's not like I can't get that good feeling on the Android ecosystem.

In closing, I'd like to share some pics of my White Lumia 928 with a Cyan colored case on it just in case you haven't seen them in my other thread. The case really made me love this phone even more (I wanted some color on my phone).

White Lumia 928 w/ Cyan Cover - Imgur

Personally, I'd give the phone an 8 out of 10. If any Android people have questions for me, don't hesitate to ask. I'll be the first to admit it's not a seamless transfer, but I'm at a stage that I'm confident I'm going to be happier with this device.
    Thanked by:
    TMavC5, Ian Too, calfee20 and 2 others like this.

Global Posts
    275 Global Posts
    Welcome aboard. Have a great ride :)
    I have one question to ask. Do you find the Gmaps to be better than Nokia maps?
    It's a question that has been lingering around me since forever.

I'm actually really liking Nokia Maps... but I did have a ton of saved locations in Google maps, so it's more of an entrenched user switching than one being better than the other. I can honestly say I prefer Nokia's Drive+ more than Google's Navigation. Having the speed limit listed was always my number one feature request that never came to Google's Navigation.
    calfee20 and krox1105 like this.

Welcome! I am a new wp user too switching from android after several years. Overall i am very pleased with my 620 which i bought as a second device to use along with the Xperia S but now its my 1st :)

The 5 & 7 is what bothers me most. The tied together volumes is just stupid, hope they will change it soon.
    I found the app store better than i was expecting, i dont use social networks from my phone much and i changed my google services with outlook very easy and fast.
    Gps is just amazing, old good Nokia :) So is camera even in my poor 620.
    krox1105 likes this.

I will say that GMail, at least IMHO, is actually a better experience on WP8, just set it up through mail accounts. The dropbox client I am using is pretty solid, only lacking part is the thumbnails. I do miss ingress a bit, but not the end of the world. Bottom line I will always bounce around the ecosystems, but i feel WP8 can cover every base android did at present moment. Definitely lose a lot of customization ability though. I miss battery percent. I just went from an S4 to my 928, also had the 920 and the titan 2 as well. I have owned essentially every flagship made for all mobile OS's since the droid 1.

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Thanks very much for your initial impressions - those are great pros & cons! I'm also coming from a Galaxy Nexus and share the same sentiments as you about both Android and Samsung. I'm totally loving this Nokia and enjoy the excitement of the relatively new and rapidly growing WP environment (sorry, I just can't use the term "ecosystem" in this context - grates on my nerves for some reason!).