Lumia 928 Battery Died: Won't Turn Back On

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I was doing some heavy gaming (2 hours+) so my 928 was a little hot and the battery was draining. I got a "battery critically low" warning, so I plugged it in via USB to my PC and continued playing. Apparently that was not an efficient enough charge and the battery completely died and the phone shut off. I plugged it into the wall using micro-USB charging thinking I would be able to boot it back up (still plugged in) within 10-15 minutes. It's been plugged in for almost 2 hours now and it still will not boot up. If I press the power button a battery will pop up on the screen indicating it is low but charging, but the phone will not come on. If I disconnect the charger the phone will power off completely (i.e., quick white flash, battery image disappears, complete fade to black). If I plug it back in, I'll see the blue windows phone boot screen (red box), then it will switch over to the battery image again, but it still won't boot up. Did I fry the battery or something?

Update: I called Verizon tech support. They suggested I do a hard reset, which would erase everything (my pictures and my game saves). I said I wanted to explore other options first, so they suggested I leave it on the wireless charging pad all night to see what happens.

Last edited:

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
If the battery is hot (due both to heavy discharging and heat from the nearby components) that could slow or outright block charging (the circuitry won't let it overheat and go poof).

Let it cool off and then plug it in.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
let it cool, plug it into the supplied wall outlet with USB. The charging you get from a PC (non-powered USB) is not enough to keep a battery going when you are discharging it that fast. These phones also have to get up to a fairly large threshold of battery charged before they will turn on. Be patient my young padawan.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
After the initial 2 hours plugged in via micro-USB and not booting back up (I think the real problem was that I unplugged it a few times to test it out), I decided to put it on the wireless charging pad and within 1.5 hours it booted back up. Everything seems fine now: it's fully charged.

The only weird thing is that the online game I was playing (Carcassonne) is giving me a weird error message about Xbox Live not being able to connect (to only that specific game, and I cannot delete the save file either, which is frustrating for me and the other 4 players involved; other online games I'm playing within Carcassonne can connect fine, as can other Xbox Live games on my phone).

So, let this be a lesson to others: Verizon has great customer support, but they're a little too jumpy. They were ready to have me hard reset the phone, losing all my data (photos, game saves, etc.) or simply express mail me a replacement phone immediately. Again, that is very nice of them and it shows they understand how frustrating it is for people to not be able to use their phones, but if I had listened to them right away I'd have lost all my data. So, they need to do a better job of fully exploring the problem before jumping the gun and swapping out phones.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3