Voice commands awesome

flackberry

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I know this is a relatively small feature but I use the hands free voice commands for responding to text when while driving. I typically stream music from my 928 via Bluetooth to my car stereo. If I get a text message it alerts and says text message from soandso. I can then say reply, ignore, delete. That is so handy!

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I know this is a relatively small feature but I use the hands free voice commands for responding to text when while driving. I typically stream music from my 928 via Bluetooth to my car stereo. If I get a text message it alerts and says text message from soandso. I can then say reply, ignore, delete. That is so handy!

I'm glad you like it :)

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'd say 90% of the time, my speech gets incorrectly deciphered, and my wife's name can't be discerned. It's pretty frustrating considering I speak slowly, clearly, and my wife's name is not out of the ordinary.

sumothong01

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I really like the feature too. The more you use it the more it will adjust to the way you talk. When I first got my 928 it had a hard time with my southern accent. But now I rarely have to repeat words. My brother is a truck driver and he was riding in my jeep while I was having a BT text conversation with my wife through the radio. Afterwards he said that that a WP will be his next phone for that feature while he is on the road.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I seldom use voice to text on my windows phone because it seems to have a difficult time getting the words right. I'm hoping this improves in the future because the android phone I use for a backup does voice to text pretty well.

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I really like the feature too. The more you use it the more it will adjust to the way you talk. When I first got my 928 it had a hard time with my southern accent. But now I rarely have to repeat words. My brother is a truck driver and he was riding in my jeep while I was having a BT text conversation with my wife through the radio. Afterwards he said that that a WP will be his next phone for that feature while he is on the road.

Interesting, I have had a slight suspicion that it was getting better. Perhaps I'll push on through and use it more and more until it learns.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been using this feature since the developer preview of Mango, released on WP7 about two years ago. It is very handy, and yes, it does improve with use. I still, however, can't get it to recognize my wife's name, Suzi (which it doesn't even try making into Suzy, or Susie, or Suzie, or any other derivative). When I say her name, it comes up with something way out there, so I just say, "my wife." It's been a while since I played with this, but a while back I did a test using words starting with Z (thinking maybe the Z in her name was a problem), and it wouldn't recognize a single one. That was long ago enough that right now I don't remember if it was on WP8 or if I was still using my old Trophy.

Oh - off subject, but speaking of Trophy, I gave it to a friend, who loves it so much that now he's looking at MetroPCS to get a 521.

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've been using this feature since the developer preview of Mango, released on WP7 about two years ago. It is very handy, and yes, it does improve with use. I still, however, can't get it to recognize my wife's name, Suzi (which it doesn't even try making into Suzy, or Susie, or Suzie, or any other derivative). When I say her name, it comes up with something way out there, so I just say, "my wife." It's been a while since I played with this, but a while back I did a test using words starting with Z (thinking maybe the Z in her name was a problem), and it wouldn't recognize a single one. That was long ago enough that right now I don't remember if it was on WP8 or if I was still using my old Trophy.

Oh - off subject, but speaking of Trophy, I gave it to a friend, who loves it so much that now he's looking at MetroPCS to get a 521.

Mine wouldn't recognize my wife as Liz, so I changed her name to Elizabeth and it works fine now.

jmwingate

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
On my old android when I used voice entry when I wanted to use punctuation I could just speak the punctuation I wanted, for instance "I'm on my way home "period" and the phone would insert a period at the end of the sentence. I could also use 'question mark', 'comma', etc. Is there a way to insert punctuation with Windows phone voice entry?

western_riders_dad

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
On my old android when I used voice entry when I wanted to use punctuation I could just speak the punctuation I wanted, for instance "I'm on my way home "period" and the phone would insert a period at the end of the sentence. I could also use 'question mark', 'comma', etc. Is there a way to insert punctuation with Windows phone voice entry?

This was one the things I had to get used to as well, making the switch from Android. I was so accustomed to speaking the punctuation marks, assuming TellMe would interpret them, rather than simply add them as text to my message. My first few messages were rather comical, I'm sure as I didn't catch what was going on. I kept wondering why my messages were being read back to me with the word "karma" inserted until I realized that was TellMe's interpretation of "comma".

Anyway, it does appear that TellMe will insert a question mark automatically at the end of "questions", if it is able to determine it is a question based upon the context, such as beginning your "question" with words such as "Will", "Do", "Are", etc. It is kind of a hassle, for me, at least being as anal as I am about grammar / spelling, etc. as I will now speak one sentence at a time, wait for TellMe to confirm it, then say "Add more", and do the next sentence, etc. This was easier in Android as I could basically ramble on with a longer message simply by adding the "period", "comma", "question mark" commands as necessary.

"Does that make sense question mark"
:smile:

KCTraveler

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
This was one the things I had to get used to as well, making the switch from Android. I was so accustomed to speaking the punctuation marks, assuming TellMe would interpret them, rather than simply add them as text to my message. My first few messages were rather comical, I'm sure as I didn't catch what was going on. I kept wondering why my messages were being read back to me with the word "karma" inserted until I realized that was TellMe's interpretation of "comma".

Anyway, it does appear that TellMe will insert a question mark automatically at the end of "questions", if it is able to determine it is a question based upon the context, such as beginning your "question" with words such as "Will", "Do", "Are", etc. It is kind of a hassle, for me, at least being as anal as I am about grammar / spelling, etc. as I will now speak one sentence at a time, wait for TellMe to confirm it, then say "Add more", and do the next sentence, etc. This was easier in Android as I could basically ramble on with a longer message simply by adding the "period", "comma", "question mark" commands as necessary.

"Does that make sense question mark"
:smile:

I have ended up doing the same one sentence at a time thing as well to get around the punctuation issue. That has been my only real issue with the feature at this point. Otherwise very pleasantly surprised with the overall accuracy .

jmwingate

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I was really expecting someone to post that I was simply missing a simple trick to add the punctuation, but I guess not? Looks like we need to get the developers on the horn!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I was really expecting someone to post that I was simply missing a simple trick to add the punctuation, but I guess not? Looks like we need to get the developers on the horn!

But it's not the developers - it's Microsoft's backend that does the voice to text translation. They call it the TellMe service.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I believe that WP8 does the same thing, in fact, you can say things like smiley face and it will put :) into your text.

I use this feature all of the time when I cycle. There is a great APP out there called Hey DJ which is a voice activated music player. You can say things like "Play Artist Nirvana" and all of your Nirvana songs on your phone will play. When I get a text or call on my phone, the music pauses, I text or talk, then once finished the music comes back on ! It's awesome...

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I believe that WP8 does the same thing, in fact, you can say things like smiley face and it will put :) into your text.
While some of the smileys do work, no, in fact, punctuation does not - at least not that I've ever been able to get working, nor others based on the comments in this thread.

shockjay

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site

Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Go 928!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)