Lumia 928 worth getting now?

dmoore228

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I have to switch to verizon from T-mobile due to service coverage with where I am going to school. Verizon is the best by far. Even with getting a tmobile phone with wifi calling(apple phones no go with that feature), I would be spending just as much as a monthly verizon contract(~105/mo)

I can get a Lumia 928 for a cent on amazon wireless. I just don't like bloatware and gimmicky software and next to the iphone, I think this is my best bet on verizon. It is an amazing deal IMHO and want to bite on it soon. The z10 is also a cent, but only has half the onboard storage that the lumia does. I will be keeping my iphone 4s as my car aftermarket stereo is only ipod compatible and no bluetooth.

Three more things. Will the incipio feather case work with wireless charging? Would I need a screen protector or matte screen protector. I know the polarizing works on the phone, but how well? Would you think the windows phone 8.1 os, when it comes out, will work?

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the Incipio Feather case and wireless charging works.

I have whatever cheapo screen protector Verizon had, it actually doesn't quite sit on the longer sides (because the screen is curved). I think one of the "wet" applied screen protectors would probably be better.

I think we are all expecting that WP 8.1 should work fine, obviously it won't enable older hardware to things beyond their capability (ie 1080) but should bring the software stuff like notification center, etc.

Quite pleased with my 928.

Joiiiiiin us

Aaron Bateman

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I love my 928. Compared to my 8x it is a far better phone, and I can see myself hanging onto it at least a year. Previously I had a gnex for 2 years, and loved that until it died and bought the 8x second hand. Loved WP, so I upped for the 928. The camera is simply amazing. Lots of things to improve for WP OS, but all in all it is great.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I can get a Lumia 928 for a cent on amazon wireless. I just don't like bloatware and gimmicky software and next to the iphone, I think this is my best bet on verizon. It is an amazing deal IMHO and want to bite on it soon.

There was very little bloatware on the phone. If there is some you don't like, you can uninstall it.

Three more things. Will the incipio feather case work with wireless charging?
yep

Would I need a screen protector or matte screen protector?

Absolutely.

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a 925. I love it but must agree tmobile is not reliable. I would definitely have gotten the 928 had i been on Verizon.

dmoore228

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a 925. I love it but must agree tmobile is not reliable. I would definitely have gotten the 928 had i been on Verizon.

Just where I will be (rural VA) its edge or nothing on my 4S and the signal is done when I enter most buildings besides my apt. Great in more suburban/urban areas tho

Cindy_H

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I find the polarizing on the display works pretty good, just be aware that the darker theme colors will still be hard to read against the black background. I love my 928, but please do your research before buying! There are many threads around here started by people who have bought devices "to try something new" and then want to trash the phones and the OS because "basic" features (notification center/screen rotation lock/certain apps) are missing.

dmoore228

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
The apps I need are mostly there. I could do mobile banking on internet explorer. Can't you pin messaging so when you get a new message, it goes to your lock screen?

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
The apps I need are mostly there. I could do mobile banking on internet explorer. Can't you pin messaging so when you get a new message, it goes to your lock screen?

I'm not sure if I understand, but yes, you do get a message "icon" on your lock screen. Depending on size your messaging tile is, determines what info is displayed on the tile.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I use this screen protector. $2.99 for two of them. It's basically the same as the Verizon ones, but a fraction of the price, and the sides are cut curved instead of straight, so you don't have the side edges sticking up due to the curved glass. You won't want a matte protector, as the slickness is nice when swiping on the phone.

Bloatware? There are a couple of apps preinstalled, but tap/hold then uninstall and they're gone. Nothing easier.

KCandSunshine13

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
My company pays for our phones and for a long while they provided BlackBerrys. Recently, they started allowing us to choose a device. So, everyone jumped on the iPhone bandwagon. However, I kept my BlackBerry Bold 9930 waiting to see how the new BlackBerry 10 OS would work. While the BB 10 OS is great, it does not integrate with our Outlook Exchange Server as well as my Bold 9930. I did a little research on the Lumia 928 and discovered that it would integrate just as well as my Bold. I've had my Lumia 928 for a week now and I love it - and so do others who look/use it. In fact, I was in a bar with some friends, explaining how well it syncs with our Outlook and how wonderful MS Office is on the device. All the while, there was an iPhone user next to us who kept trying to look over the shoulder of one of my friends to get a glimpse of my Lumia 928. I believe he was jealous.

FYI - I also have Yahoo Mail and Google Mail accounts on this Lumia 928. They are working for me - including the Google Calender! I love how I see my Outlook Calendar and my Google Calendar on the same display without having to use a 3rd party app or use the internet browser.

So, if you use Windows 7 for desktop/laptop software; use MS Office for productivity and use Outlook with an exchange server as email client, then it is a no-brainer. You have to go with a Windows Phone. And for just a penny, how could you go wrong?

GrabMyWrist

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
It's a great phone. That said, I'm getting ready to let mine go. I miss some of the apps I can use on other devices. I also miss custom notifications and an LED for missed events.

western_riders_dad

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
It's a great phone. That said, I'm getting ready to let mine go. I miss some of the apps I can use on other devices. I also miss custom notifications and an LED for missed events.

Now into my 5th week p-A (post-Android) and my 928 still makes me smile. I was never a huge apps guy, and while a few of my go-to apps on Android are not available in WP8, I have found very capable alternatives. Yes, I also do miss the custom (audio) notifications and hope that will be coming in a future update. I thought the lack of an LED notification would drive me crazy, but at this point not so much. The lock screen is so beautiful I don't mind pressing the power-button to display notifications.

lgdlman

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
My company pays for our phones and for a long while they provided BlackBerrys. Recently, they started allowing us to choose a device. So, everyone jumped on the iPhone bandwagon. However, I kept my BlackBerry Bold 9930 waiting to see how the new BlackBerry 10 OS would work. While the BB 10 OS is great, it does not integrate with our Outlook Exchange Server as well as my Bold 9930. I did a little research on the Lumia 928 and discovered that it would integrate just as well as my Bold. I've had my Lumia 928 for a week now and I love it - and so do others who look/use it. In fact, I was in a bar with some friends, explaining how well it syncs with our Outlook and how wonderful MS Office is on the device. All the while, there was an iPhone user next to us who kept trying to look over the shoulder of one of my friends to get a glimpse of my Lumia 928. I believe he was jealous.

FYI - I also have Yahoo Mail and Google Mail accounts on this Lumia 928. They are working for me - including the Google Calender! I love how I see my Outlook Calendar and my Google Calendar on the same display without having to use a 3rd party app or use the internet browser.

So, if you use Windows 7 for desktop/laptop software; use MS Office for productivity and use Outlook with an exchange server as email client, then it is a no-brainer. You have to go with a Windows Phone. And for just a penny, how could you go wrong?

The only thing that bugs and making me hesitate is the calendar only sycn'ing 2 weeks back, deal breaker.

firepsych

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Are there shortcuts for wifi and Bluetooth or do you need to go into settings when you want to turn them on /off?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 4

StevePT

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Are there shortcuts for wifi and Bluetooth or do you need to go into settings when you want to turn them on /off?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 4

There's a few apps available, but my favorite is "Connectivity Tiles" and it allows you to pin any of the following to your start screen: Airplane Mode, WiFi, Bluetooth and Data Connection

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion