Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By jay minhas
  • 1 Post By ttsoldier
  • 1 Post By Funky Cricket
  1. jay minhas's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Not sure if this has been posted yet or not but I, like many others have been experiencing a severe battery drain on my 928. I tried stopping background apps, uninstalling some apps, rebooting phone but nothing seemed to work. I started messing around with all of my settings and I noticed that my email, in this case Gmail, always took forever to sync (at least 5-10 minutes) ... I have no idea why it takes this long but I switched the sync option for all my email to "manual" so its not spending all day syncing emails in the background. I have noticed a substantial change in my battery life.

    Hope this helps
  2. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,160 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,833 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by jay minhas View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted yet or not but I, like many others have been experiencing a severe battery drain on my 928. I tried stopping background apps, uninstalling some apps, rebooting phone but nothing seemed to work. I started messing around with all of my settings and I noticed that my email, in this case Gmail, always took forever to sync (at least 5-10 minutes) ... I have no idea why it takes this long but I switched the sync option for all my email to "manual" so its not spending all day syncing emails in the background. I have noticed a substantial change in my battery life.


    Hope this helps
    Thanks for the tip
    lijun likes this.
  3. donebrasko's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    279 Posts
    Global Posts
    800 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    I may try that. I have 5 email accounts going. I have work, Gmail, yahoo, yahoo, and outlook. Maybe its time to consolidate. I would really hate to have to manually update. What uses more battery, push email (outlook) or the way Gmail and yahoo is syncing every so often?
  4. Joel S79's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    148 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by donebrasko View Post
    I may try that. I have 5 email accounts going. I have work, Gmail, yahoo, yahoo, and outlook. Maybe its time to consolidate. I would really hate to have to manually update. What uses more battery, push email (outlook) or the way Gmail and yahoo is syncing every so often?
    Push email uses the least amount of battery since it doesn't react until it's told there's an email. That said, I was under the impression Gmail uses a push protocol.
  5. jay minhas's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #5  
    Not sure how it works but for myself atleast, Gmail takes about 10-15 minutes to sync. And since I had Gmail set to automatically sync every 15 minutes, it pretty much kept going all the time in the background. Anyways, I hope this helps out at least some people!
  6. Fred Simpson's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    On my 928 any navigation or game app I've used will drain my battery 11 to 12% inside first 20 minutes with all background tasks off . Phone uses power great otherwise but not with apps.My concern is batteries don't get better with time and Lumia's is non removable I think
  7. Joel S79's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    148 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Simpson View Post
    On my 928 any navigation or game app I've used will drain my battery 11 to 12% inside first 20 minutes with all background tasks off . Phone uses power great otherwise but not with apps.My concern is batteries don't get better with time and Lumia's is non removable I think
    The AMOLED screen can really dig into battery life, so expect things that keep the majority of screen on for a long time to drain battery quickly. I turn the screen off when navigating and usually just rely on voice unless the intersection looks crazy. It's also good to keep the black background theme, black means off pixels for AMOLED, so you'll save some battery life there.
  8. donebrasko's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    279 Posts
    Global Posts
    800 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel S79 View Post
    Push email uses the least amount of battery since it doesn't react until it's told there's an email. That said, I was under the impression Gmail uses a push protocol.
    is Gmail push or pull?
  9. Riverrunner88's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    You can set up your gmail account as an exchange server to push. Lot's of instructions on the web on how to do it.

    I went 10 days and saw about a 1%/hr battery drain. I was going two days on a charge. 3 days go I'm back to 3to4%/hr and nothing has changed other than my "Battery" app was updated. The update shouldn't matter but who knows. Strange phone...
  10. gernerttl's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,024 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,356 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel S79 View Post
    Push email uses the least amount of battery since it doesn't react until it's told there's an email. That said, I was under the impression Gmail uses a push protocol.
    Gmail uses push protocol if you are on an Android phone or tablet. However, if you are using iOS, WP7/8, Windows, or Mac OS then it uses IMAP/POP3.
  11. deadwrong03's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,028 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverrunner88 View Post
    You can set up your gmail account as an exchange server to push. Lot's of instructions on the web on how to do it.

    I went 10 days and saw about a 1%/hr battery drain. I was going two days on a charge. 3 days go I'm back to 3to4%/hr and nothing has changed other than my "Battery" app was updated. The update shouldn't matter but who knows. Strange phone...
    u think the battery app could be causing the drain?
  12. Funky Cricket's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    652 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,004 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    I do a soft reset after every major round of app updates. otherwise my batter starts draining. I think it has to do with how the apps try to check into location services. Otherwise I don't have too many issues with the battery. There are a few games that will eat it like no tomorrow though. fairway solitaire and NOVA are both pretty big energy eaters.
    vyner likes this.
  13. Beast of Haeven's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    441 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    I was getting anywhere from 10% an hour to 20% an hour after having everything set to always on and always updating. After cleaning things up I would get 9%+ drain an hour. After setting my yahoo account to manual sync and deleting unused apps I'm at 1.33% drain...wow.
  14. Riverrunner88's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    I think it's the "battery" app. I don't think it's working properly and I may need to look for a different one. I'll do a soft reset and then I will get and bunch of battery life back so that leads me to believe I'm getting erronous info...

    Example - This morning I unplugged at 0530 and by 0600 I was already at 70%. WTF??? Just did a soft reset and it now says 93%.
  15. DavidinCT's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,248 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    I guess I do ok, My day starts around 6:30am, I browse Weave for at least 20 min every morning (and this included 2 short videos), about 40 texts, 10 times checking email, 2 phone calls (under 2 min each), Push on exchange and hotmail scheduled to sync ever 30 min. It's 2pm here, my phone is still at 86% left... I AM on LTE at home and work with a strong signal.

    I do make sure there is only 2-3 apps running in the background...I normally kill everything as soon as I install them...

Similar Threads

  1. 1020 owners, any overheating or battery issues discovered?
    By how1ard in forum Nokia Lumia 1020
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-02-2014, 05:06 AM
  2. Battery app Live Tile not updating
    By rgv521 in forum Nokia Lumia 521
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-11-2013, 05:40 PM
  3. Wanting to change to WP8. Have a few practical questions.
    By gdourado07 in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-11-2013, 06:01 AM
  4. How to sign in to forums on app with Google account?
    By bens777 in forum Windows Central for Windows Phone - App Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-07-2013, 11:31 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-07-2013, 08:11 AM

Posting Permissions

";