Backing Out of Messages

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I know this is a general Windows Phone question, but since I'm working with a 928 for a project I'm working on, I figured I'd as it here... When I use Android, I'm used to backing out of all the apps. On my iPhone, there is no backing out. Windows Phone seems similar to Android is that it's better to back out of the app.

In this case, I'm talking about SMS. I receive a text from someone, reply and then hit the home button. Then another text comes in (same person) and I hit the notification to take me to the message, then hit home. After doing this several times, I long press the back key and see I have a session for each time I was in messaging. I then just keep hitting the back button to clear them all out.

Even though there are multiple "sessions" running, does Windows Phone treat them as one, or is it allocating memory for each session? Just curious if I should make it a habit to start backing out of apps.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You don't need to worry about closing any apps on Windows Phone. It manages its resources very well. I personally never close my apps unless they are location tracking or intensive background apps. The latter apps are very few actually.

in essence You don't need to worry too much about backing out of everything.

Last edited:

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Backing out is just an habit of having Android for so long I guess. And I don't back out of every Android app, just most.

I'll go with just using the Home button for now and see how it goes.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Backing out is just an habit of having Android for so long I guess. And I don't back out of every Android app, just most.

I'll go with just using the Home button for now and see how it goes.

Here, this thread goes into excellent detail about how background tasks, and "multitasking" works in Windows Phone 8.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...naging-background-apps-why-you-dont-need.html

Basically, if you tap back, it'll close the app, if you press home, it puts it into a sort of hibernation which you can resume from.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb