Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Joel S79
  1. themadpoet1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    126 Posts
       #1  
    I noticed if you choose a white background on this phone, it will tell you this phone isn't optimized for a white background, though I do like the way it looks. How much battery drainage do you think this phone has with a white background as opposed to a black one?
  2. HM02's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    237 Posts
    #2  
    Seeing as how it's AMOLED, yes it will suck the battery more than a black background.
  3. Jason Drum's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    205 Posts
    #3  
    I just did a simple test of having the screen on all black and all white for half hour each. First battery drain was 100 to 92, second was 92 to 85.
  4. Joel S79's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    148 Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by themadpoet1 View Post
    I noticed if you choose a white background on this phone, it will tell you this phone isn't optimized for a white background, though I do like the way it looks. How much battery drainage do you think this phone has with a white background as opposed to a black one?
    Black on an AMOLED screen means the actual pixels are off, and therefore drawing no power. It's a really common battery saving trick for people with Samsung Android phones to use dark and mostly black themes to conserve battery (Samsung phones have been using AMOLED screens since at least the original Galaxy S).

    It'll drain your battery faster, but considering MY Lumia easily makes it through the day you'll probably be fine. The only other thing to consider is AMOLED cells do have a finite life, and will dim over time. The white background will accelerate that process. I'll dig up my old Nexus and show you what I mean if you're interested.
    xandros9 likes this.
  5. taymur's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    841 Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Drum View Post
    I just did a simple test of having the screen on all black and all white for half hour each. First battery drain was 100 to 92, second was 92 to 85.
    you lost 8% in 30 min????
  6. krishna6233's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    45 Posts
    #6  
    i think so...
  7. uopjo6's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    170 Posts
    #7  
    Just use black or white... Even if white drained more battery it is a small margin only and should not be enough to compromise your choice. You wouldn't turn off all live tiles either amiright.
  8. Jason Drum's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    205 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by taymur View Post
    you lost 8% in 30 min????
    With the screen on the entire time, constantly searching and getting kicked off crappy wifi, and listening to iheartradio.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by uopjo6 View Post
    Just use black or white... Even if white drained more battery it is a small margin only and should not be enough to compromise your choice. You wouldn't turn off all live tiles either amiright.
    I disagree. All my WP devices with AMOLED screens last noticeably longer when set to black.

    It's not so much the start screen, but that many apps (where I spend most of my time) then show black text on a white background. That is the killer.

    Black background with white text is also easier on the eyes.

    Don't use the white theme on a device with an AMOLED display.
    Thanked by:
  10. awkm's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    37 Posts
    #10  
    What about IPS screens?
    AWKM
    Ontario, Canada
    Huawei Ascend W1 - WP8
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by awkm View Post
    What about IPS screens?
    Doesn't matter. Use whatever theme you prefer.
    Thanked by:
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Drum View Post
    I just did a simple test of having the screen on all black and all white for half hour each. First battery drain was 100 to 92, second was 92 to 85.
    That isnt the best way to test them. You may have more processes running in second half an hour in background. Also the most reliable battery readings are between 20-80% as the meter doesn't drop as quickly between 90-100%
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

    Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
  13. Jason Drum's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    205 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    That isnt the best way to test them. You may have more processes running in second half an hour in background. Also the most reliable battery readings are between 20-80% as the meter doesn't drop as quickly between 90-100%
    Why's that? It was one after the other and the only thing happening was listening to iHeartRadio, and I didn't do anything except keep the screen lit. I'll give you the 20-80 comment, though.
  14. StevePT's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    43 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Drum View Post
    Why's that? It was one after the other and the only thing happening was listening to iHeartRadio, and I didn't do anything except keep the screen lit. I'll give you the 20-80 comment, though.
    Lithium-Ion batteries have a non-linear discharge rate. From a full charge the first portion of the battery discharge is very gradual and as it wears down the discharge rate increases. Also, as Rockstar said, you might have different apps that only refresh every 30 minutes or more so some of those apps might have only gone through their refresh process during one of your 30min tests and not both of them.
  15. donebrasko's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    227 Posts
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by uopjo6 View Post
    Just use black or white... Even if white drained more battery it is a small margin only and should not be enough to compromise your choice. You wouldn't turn off all live tiles either amiright.
    is there an option to turn off live tiles? If so where? Mine are acting up, so I'm hoping if I turn them off and back on it will fix it.

Similar Threads

  1. How would you improve the marketing of the 2nd gen Surface RT
    By drjekel_mrhyde in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RT
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-14-2013, 12:23 PM
  2. Does the x2 have Gorilla Glass?
    By Blkacesvf41 in forum General Tablet Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2013, 01:41 AM
  3. How Many Of You Guys Had To Pay The Upgrade Fee From AT&T?
    By Bmstrong in forum Nokia Lumia 1020
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-10-2013, 06:01 PM
  4. nokia lumia 720 battery
    By akifreestyle7 in forum Nokia Lumia 720
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-10-2013, 02:27 PM
  5. What's the new things in extras+info meaning?
    By tungha in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-08-2013, 10:30 PM

Posting Permissions