I just used an HTC one and...

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I like it. I kept on hearing about the premium feel and design but the black model that I played with wasn't as nice as the 928. It was thinner and lighter but the end result didn't feel premium to me.
I took some photos and the 928s shots looked a lot nicer in low light but the One was a hell of a lot faster between shots. Nokia claims the speaker on the 928 is the loudest of any phone but a lot of sites say the HTC one was louder and had better sound quality. They got one part right the sound quality on the One is really really good. There is a much richer rang on the he One making it sound amazingly clean for a phone. The 928 is louder but it's missing a lot of bass.
The screen on the One being LCD doesn't pop but you don't notice the difference between 1080 and 768 unless you watch an HD video, put the screen close to your face, and look at peoples hair...😐 If I went with an android device it would be the HTC One, but I'm sold on Windows Phone.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I like it. I kept on hearing about the premium feel and design but the black model that I played with wasn't as nice as the 928. It was thinner and lighter but the end result didn't feel premium to me.
I took some photos and the 928s shots looked a lot nicer in low light but the One was a hell of a lot faster between shots. Nokia claims the speaker on the 928 is the loudest of any phone but a lot of sites say the HTC one was louder and had better sound quality. They got one part right the sound quality on the One is really really good. There is a much richer rang on the he One making it sound amazingly clean for a phone. The 928 is louder but it's missing a lot of bass.
The screen on the One being LCD doesn't pop but you don't notice the difference between 1080 and 768 unless you watch an HD video, put the screen close to your face, and look at peoples hair... If I went with an android device it would be the HTC One, but I'm sold on Windows Phone.

I couldn't have said it any better!

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
The screen on the One being LCD doesn't pop but you don't notice the difference between 1080 and 768 unless you watch an HD video, put the screen close to your face, and look at peoples hair...😐 If I went with an android device it would be the HTC One, but I'm sold on Windows Phone.

I had my 8X since release almost and man I really want that 928... So sad I wasn't just patient with windows phone when I had my LG Optimus 7. Oh well I guess, but 8GB of nonexpendable memory is killing me :'( I wish there was a way to sell it and buy another phone quickly lmaoo. Or just fix the damn others space issue ffs. 4mb free

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I had my 8X since release almost and man I really want that 928... So sad I wasn't just patient with windows phone when I had my LG Optimus 7. Oh well I guess, but 8GB of nonexpendable memory is killing me :'( I wish there was a way to sell it and buy another phone quickly lmaoo. Or just fix the damn others space issue ffs. 4mb free
I got mine from Craigslist for 380, I suggest you do the same.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I got mine from Craigslist for 380, I suggest you do the same.

I got mine (brand new) for $275 on ebay.... takes some hunting but, the deals are out there...

Now here is a question for you, now that you used the HTC One. There is a pretty solid rumor(as rumors go) that HTC is working on HTC one with Windows Phone 8 on it. Do you like it enough to sell you 928 if HTC released it (with maybe a better camera and a 32gb/SD card) ?

Would you move to the "one" with Windows Phone 8 on it over your 928 ?

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I got mine (brand new) for $275 on ebay.... takes some hunting but, the deals are out there...

Now here is a question for you, now that you used the HTC One. There is a pretty solid rumor(as rumors go) that HTC is working on HTC one with Windows Phone 8 on it. Do you like it enough to sell you 928 if HTC released it (with maybe a better camera and a 32gb/SD card) ?

Would you move to the "one" with Windows Phone 8 on it over your 928 ?

Wow good question! I doubt it. HTC has been good to me but Nokia has been even better. Anything is possible I would have to see what Nokia comes out with to compete. I didn't like he way the One felt in hand...too much of a fragile feel.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Wow good question! I doubt it. HTC has been good to me but Nokia has been even better. Anything is possible I would have to see what Nokia comes out with to compete. I didn't like he way the One felt in hand...too much of a fragile feel.

I will still say, as a owner of the HTC 8X for 4 months before getting the 928, I think the 8X felt so much better to hold and felt better in the pocket (slimer and slicker) than the 928. On a design aspect the 8X is better layout design than the 928. ***IF** the 8X had 32gb, I would of never got the 928....

If the WP8 "One" is released, I would sure take a good look at it, but, I think I am done buying a new phone till WP8.5/9 comes out. New features and better devices will be announced this fall, I am sure.

Another side of me sees, Sure the 928 has a better screen and better camera than the 8X but, the OS is the same exact thing, the feature set is the same, It's not like Android where HTC and Motorola have difference Themes or front ends on the phone to make it different to make the change, there is not much difference.

Still would like to see HTC come out with a bad A$$ WP8 phone to got head to head with a few models of Nokia.... it would make things interesting and that is what WP8 needs...

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I will still say, as a owner of the HTC 8X for 4 months before getting the 928, I think the 8X felt so much better to hold and felt better in the pocket (slimer and slicker) than the 928. On a design aspect the 8X is better layout design than the 928. ***IF** the 8X had 32gb, I would of never got the 928....

If the WP8 "One" is released, I would sure take a good look at it, but, I think I am done buying a new phone till WP8.5/9 comes out. New features and better devices will be announced this fall, I am sure.

Another side of me sees, Sure the 928 has a better screen and better camera than the 8X but, the OS is the same exact thing, the feature set is the same, It's not like Android where HTC and Motorola have difference Themes or front ends on the phone to make it different to make the change, there is not much difference.

Still would like to see HTC come out with a bad A$$ WP8 phone to got head to head with a few models of Nokia.... it would make things interesting and that is what WP8 needs...

Good points! I Like the design of the 8x way more than the One. I even like the rubber like feel of the 8x more than the plastic/metallic feel of the One. But the 928 sits in my hand better than the 8x and the buttons on the 8x and One would take time to get used to with them being flush and all. Your right though the experience is the same on both devices...besides some of those Nokia exclusives.

Winger67

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm... Interesting discussion. I eligible for an upgrade but really want to hold out for a 1020 Verizon variant since I am a shutter bug. Tired of my Trophy. Torn between the 8X and 928. I've seen craigslist $200 and $250 respectively. Is the camera that much better on the 928 to make it worth it for the next 6 months?

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I've had a 920 since launch and until this day it's still one of the best smartphones out there. I assume the same goes to 925 and 928 in similar aspects.
Being a product designer I like going into retailers and check every new phone on my hand (sucks to be the salesman)
Recently I played with the Sony Xperia Z series and have to say it is one piece of good engineering. The thinness is insane if you consider it waterproof but camera is a huge trade off. Still fantastic hardware and should be praised WAY MORE. Same could be said for the HTC One. Only gripe is Android. After swiping around I instantly felt bored and had to put it down. It's really the same 'ol ish 5 years in a row it's unbearable. I won't even mention $am$ung and their 500 clones released this year successful only with smart marketing and ripping people off.
Point is, after smothering my hands with every new phone i still find the 920 (and brothers) superior in 'almost' every way. It's much faster / smoother with less power consumption, tiles are unique and everything is straight to the point. Nokia puts out really distinctive designs too. There are not as many apps, true, but most on other platforms are duplicates and I go fine with what I have now. In fact I have more installed on my 920 than my old iP4. Only problem is not enough support from official giants (instagram, now Youtube [FU Gxxgle], etc). Not that I use them but having support from them really helps with credibility and image to lure in more users.
Camera doesn't need to be mentioned, nothing is close ;)

Conclusion: WP8+Nokia is an underdog but a very good one and rising. After comparing all these phones including new ones I'm still very happy with the 920 and think it's still one of the best out there, even after almost a year since release.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... Interesting discussion. I eligible for an upgrade but really want to hold out for a 1020 Verizon variant since I am a shutter bug. Tired of my Trophy. Torn between the 8X and 928. I've seen craigslist $200 and $250 respectively. Is the camera that much better on the 928 to make it worth it for the next 6 months?

As I said, I had a 8X for about 4 months before I got the 928. The camera is better on the 928 no question but, It's not worlds better. The 8X pictures came out really nice accept for low light shots that the 928 does very well with(still shots, had problems with taking a picture with people moving). If your taking images during the day where light is really good, side by side, they are very close.

You also have the larger form factor on the 928 over the 8X (the feel on the 8x is better in my thoughts), you also have to ask yourself about the memory, the 8X only has 16gb and the 928 has 32gb.

Then the main question, Is Verizon going to grab the 1020 or they going to wait for WP 8.5/9.0 ? You have a very high chance (unless you know something inside) that verizon WONT be getting a 1020 model. Keep that in mind. You might have the phone you buy longer than 6 months.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Good points! I Like the design of the 8x way more than the One. I even like the rubber like feel of the 8x more than the plastic/metallic feel of the One. But the 928 sits in my hand better than the 8x and the buttons on the 8x and One would take time to get used to with them being flush and all. Your right though the experience is the same on both devices...besides some of those Nokia exclusives.

Every one is up in arms about how great Nokia is because their support for Windows Phone is so great. Think about it, in a year, 3-5 exclusive apps (mostly games) but, are you using these apps 24 hours a day, 7 days a week ? What do you use mostly on your phone ? For the items that you use the most (as we have said, there is No difference between the OS on the phones), is there a major difference between HTC, Nokia, or Samsung ? No, there isn't.

And people bash HTC all the time, even though I think they make a really good product that only helps Windows Phone.

I'll be honest, when I got the 928, I looked over their offerings for apps, and you know what, I didnt buy ANY of the exclusives.. I guess it's not as a big deal to me as others. I want a phone that does what it does very well, Run Windows Phone 8 solid with no issues, and all the models will do that fine...

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Every one is up in arms about how great Nokia is because their support for Windows Phone is so great. Think about it, in a year, 3-5 exclusive apps (mostly games) but, are you using these apps 24 hours a day, 7 days a week ? What do you use mostly on your phone ? For the items that you use the most (as we have said, there is No difference between the OS on the phones), is there a major difference between HTC, Nokia, or Samsung ? No, there isn't.

And people bash HTC all the time, even though I think they make a really good product that only helps Windows Phone.

I'll be honest, when I got the 928, I looked over their offerings for apps, and you know what, I didnt buy ANY of the exclusives.. I guess it's not as a big deal to me as others. I want a phone that does what it does very well, Run Windows Phone 8 solid with no issues, and all the models will do that fine...

I agree for the most part, HTC makes great devices that's very true but I think the evidence of focus on the platform is in the exclusive apps. At the moment most if not all off the Nokia exclusive apps are in the WP8 store but they didn't start there. Nokia Brings the apps to the platform first then after a short period of time the rest of the WP8 devices have access, and HTC to my knowledge doesn't add to the platform in the same way Nokia does (although the exclusives have slowed down ATM). I still feel like HTC is holding back on WP too much and they seem to be pulling back even further...:eck:. I agree people hate on HTC waaaaaaay too much but can anyone honestly say Nokia isn't putting more effort into WP than HTC right now?

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

I have both the 8X and 928l The 8X stays home, the 928 goes everywhere. Heck, I gave my daughter my S4 and kept the 928, that's how much I like it.

I like the 928 because the screen is much better than the 8X - that LCD can't compete in clarity and contrast with the LED display of the 928. The 8X is slimmer, yes, but that only helps with pocketing it. The 928 is better in my hands than the 8X. Buttons on the 928 and soooooooo much better. You can find them all by touch. The 8X you have to look for buttons and there is no tactile feedback. The 928, as a phone and tool, is just better. For carrying in your pocket the 8X is better. But for actual use I prefer the 928. And I also prefer WP8 over Android and the smaller screen, so my daughter is welcome to the S4 :)

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I've been using an HTC Rezound since I shattered the screen on my 8X and today at my parents I had the opportunity to do some screen comparisons with an HTC One, my dad's 920 and my wife's Note 2. I was pleasantly surprised to see that watching video on all four phones to my eyes was very similar. I was expecting the One to be the best by far, but I didn't see it to be really any better than the others. This makes me feel better about possibly replacing my 8X with a 928.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I've had a 920 since launch and until this day it's still one of the best smartphones out there. I assume the same goes to 925 and 928 in similar aspects.
Being a product designer I like going into retailers and check every new phone on my hand (sucks to be the salesman)
Recently I played with the Sony Xperia Z series and have to say it is one piece of good engineering. The thinness is insane if you consider it waterproof but camera is a huge trade off. Still fantastic hardware and should be praised WAY MORE. Same could be said for the HTC One. Only gripe is Android. After swiping around I instantly felt bored and had to put it down. It's really the same 'ol ish 5 years in a row it's unbearable. I won't even mention $am$ung and their 500 clones released this year successful only with smart marketing and ripping people off.
Point is, after smothering my hands with every new phone i still find the 920 (and brothers) superior in 'almost' every way. It's much faster / smoother with less power consumption, tiles are unique and everything is straight to the point. Nokia puts out really distinctive designs too. There are not as many apps, true, but most on other platforms are duplicates and I go fine with what I have now. In fact I have more installed on my 920 than my old iP4. Only problem is not enough support from official giants (instagram, now Youtube [FU Gxxgle], etc). Not that I use them but having support from them really helps with credibility and image to lure in more users.
Camera doesn't need to be mentioned, nothing is close ;)

Conclusion: WP8+Nokia is an underdog but a very good one and rising. After comparing all these phones including new ones I'm still very happy with the 920 and think it's still one of the best out there, even after almost a year since release.

I agree completely

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have both the 8X and 928l The 8X stays home, the 928 goes everywhere. Heck, I gave my daughter my S4 and kept the 928, that's how much I like it.

I like the 928 because the screen is much better than the 8X - that LCD can't compete in clarity and contrast with the LED display of the 928. The 8X is slimmer, yes, but that only helps with pocketing it. The 928 is better in my hands than the 8X. Buttons on the 928 and soooooooo much better. You can find them all by touch. The 8X you have to look for buttons and there is no tactile feedback. The 928, as a phone and tool, is just better. For carrying in your pocket the 8X is better. But for actual use I prefer the 928. And I also prefer WP8 over Android and the smaller screen, so my daughter is welcome to the S4 :)

As I agree for the display, it is nicer than the 8X but, I disagree on the buttons. There is so many times where just in my pocket buttons are pushed, so the phone is on, and sometimes even it's looking for a command. Never had that issue ONCE when I had my HTC 8X for the 4ish months I had it. I have that issue almost every day with my 928...

Everyone's thought of what phone is better is based on their personal thoughts, As the 928 has better features over all, it's not worlds better than the 8X. They are both nice Windows Phone 8 devices, they run at the same exact speed, WP8 performs the same on both devices and apps will run at the same speed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs