Lumia 928 Trigger Shy

jridgers

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I have been an iPhone user for several years (3GS and 4). When my contract renewal was up I jumped on the Nokia Lumia 822 at Verizon. I freaked out and returned it the next day and I didn't give WP8 a fair try. I've been thinking of going back to WP8 and giving it another try and I am really intrigued with the 928.

The salesperson said that since I returned the 822 that I wouldn't be able to return the next phone I decide on (unless I pay full retail price - which I cannot afford) so I should be 100 percent sure when I do decide what to get.

My dilemma: There is nothing wrong with my iPhone 4 and I don't use many apps. I text and use the telephone mainly (with the occasional web browsing). I'm pretty sure I don't want to go backwards to an old flip phone. The geek in me wants something new and shiny, but the responsible adult that I am keeps saying that nothing is wrong with my iPhone 4 and to keep it until it dies or breaks and use the upgrade option as my insurance. But I don't want to miss out on the Free deal Verizon is currently promoting for the 928 if I do decide I have to have it.

What do you think?

Feeling: :confused:

Last edited:

Ayush_WP

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't have any problem with windows phone 8 then.. Considering that you aren't heavily app dependant. Plus! You might just love the larger screen estate too :D

Always remember: CHANGE IS GOOD.

jridgers

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I just ordered my new, white, Lumia 928 from the Microsoft Store online (they offered free next business day shipping while Verizon Wireless said they couldn't ship until 8/16). Keeping my old iPhone 4 as a back up just in case anything happens to my new Lumia. Looking forward to writing a review of my new device after it arrives.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered my new, white, Lumia 928 from the Microsoft Store online (they offered free next business day shipping while Verizon Wireless said they couldn't ship until 8/16). Keeping my old iPhone 4 as a back up just in case anything happens to my new Lumia. Looking forward to writing a review of my new device after it arrives.
Just a heads up. You will need to disable iMessage before you use your 928 or you won't get any SMS.

firepsych

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Rather than starting a new thread, this may be a good place to post my question.
I'm about due for an upgrade and after BlackBerry for 3 years and Android for almost 2, WP8 on the Lumina 928 looks really good. Actually, camera and battery are my priorities, but after looking at the WP8 phones, I'm really intrigued by the Lumia 928. I want something that simply works out of the box. I'm tired of tweaking my phones. I'm not a heavy app user at all. No games, no facebook, etc... I've check the store and just about everything I have on my Thunderbolt is available through the Windows Marketplace or whatever it's called. But, there are a couple of things I've read that I want to make sure I understand before I "pull the trigger."
1) NO seperate volume controls. That means I can't have my alarm set to one volume, ringer/txt set to another and media set to something else.
AND
GDR2 is NOT expected to fix this

2) No Group SMS. That means if I recieve a group SMS/MMS and I respond to it, my response only goes back to the original sender, not the group. Here also, GDR2 is NOT expected to address that?

3) WiFi hotspot. There's sort of a work around for that, but there are a handful of steps. (Background, I'm grandfathered on an unlimited plan with a rooted Android device, so I don's use VZW's hotspot feature, nor do I pay seperately for it. I just use WiFi tether and boom, done.)

4) The camera is far superior to pretty much everything else VZW has in terms of low light and pic quality, but it's NOT necessarily much faster than anything else out there? In other words, roughly how long does it take to go from lock screen to captured picture? Not a super framed, set up shot, just "hey, check out what the kids are doing..."?

I know there's no perfect OS, but some of the above could be deal breakers.

TIA,

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
1) NO seperate volume controls. That means I can't have my alarm set to one volume, ringer/txt set to another and media set to something else.
AND
GDR2 is NOT expected to fix this

2) No Group SMS. That means if I recieve a group SMS/MMS and I respond to it, my response only goes back to the original sender, not the group. Here also, GDR2 is NOT expected to address that?

3) WiFi hotspot. There's sort of a work around for that, but there are a handful of steps. (Background, I'm grandfathered on an unlimited plan with a rooted Android device, so I don's use VZW's hotspot feature, nor do I pay seperately for it. I just use WiFi tether and boom, done.)

4) The camera is far superior to pretty much everything else VZW has in terms of low light and pic quality, but it's NOT necessarily much faster than anything else out there? In other words, roughly how long does it take to go from lock screen to captured picture? Not a super framed, set up shot, just "hey, check out what the kids are doing..."?
TIA,
1) The volume is static. It was the same for WP7 too. Thing that's annoying me is that you can only use Nokia's/MS's notification sounds for an incoming text.
2) GDR2 Fixes this.
3) We used to be able to remedy this by editing settings in the PST menu from the dialer (##778# with a passcode of 000000 - same as other verizon smartphones), but nothing can be edited on the 928.
4) Don't even need to unlock the phone. The bottom right side button is the camera button. Just hold in in a sec and the camera app starts.

Last edited:

firepsych

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Volume is fixed?
What I'm looking for is seperate, independant volume levels. Adjust alarm independant of music, independant of ringtone/notification...
Everything I've read says that's still a problem.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
If you're light on apps with your iPhone 4, you should have no problem migrating to WP8 and the 928 (as newcomers typically complain about the "lack of apps"). You should easily be able to find everything you need in the WP Store. I've never used a 928 (I started with the Lumia 810 and switched to the 920), but WP8 is a great platform, very smooth and intuitive and I don't even believe there's a learning curve. Once you have the phone in your hand and start playing around with it, you'll become accustomed to it. I also came from an iPhone 4, by the way. Never looked back. I love WP!

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
1: I got used to just changing it, just different
2: I hear this is fixed in gdr2
3: stop stealing and pony up the money if you use it.
4: Pictures. I can pull it out, hold camera button for a second (it is a setting to allow this), then click.. very rarely blurry, and pretty good shots.

over all from my android device, i'm very satisfied, and my wife uses it all the time for navigation over her new lg when we travel, because I have offline maps and she never thinks to pre-download.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just a note on the volume thing.

Alarms - always set to max volume - even if you put the phone on vibrate they still go off
In car Bluetooth - as soon as it connects volume goes to max
Music and notifications will always be at the volume you have set them at - you cannot change it.

From my personal experience - Alarms and in car Bluetooth going to max is always a good thing - saves me rembering to do it. I also always leave my volume on 15 but set the phone to vibrate - thereby music is at the volume I want but calls and notifications only come through on vibration.

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I meant fixed as it doesn't change. Overall, MS still needs to wake up. Being locked to carrier/OEM/MS's notifications is still pretty dumb.

Also, when I'm in a quiet environment, I usually use either a volume of 1 or 10. When its loud I crank it to 15. When its over BT, I usually have to set it to 25. I haven't needed to use it over 25 yet.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
OP, coming from the iPhone 4, especially since you are not super app heavy, you will be happy I think. It will be a big size jump, that's for sure. We will be here to answer any of your questions you may have.

firepsych, Group Messaging is now working on the 928 with the GDR2 update. Others have mentioned the volume. The alarm is seperate from the rest of the phone. I can put my phone on vibrate when I go to sleep and the alarm still goes off.

Personally I would like to split apart the ringtone/notification volume with the game/app volume like it is in Android. I would also like to be able to add my own SMS/Text message tones. I think that one is a slam dunk with future updates.

I would even go as far to say I'd like to add individual Text/SMS tones per contact. That would actually go one farther then what the other OS's have built in. You can do this on Android with 3rd party apps like LightFlow, which i loved.

The camera was also mentioned. Love the hardware button to launch that bad boy and snap a quick pic.

StevePT

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Just a pure theory on my part, but I'm thinking that more control of ringtones/volume of ringer, notifications, games, etc. will come with 8.1 which is suppose to come with a notification center. Seems like ringtones, volume levels, etc. tie in with the notification center so that's when I expect WP8 will get that feature.

lgdlman

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I sort of did the same thing a few months ago, bout the HTC 8X, was so sued tot he iPhone 4S and took it back the next day. Spent some time on these forumns and pulled the trigge the other day and love the new phone.

Yes, the are MANY things that are different but that was also the case when I switched to the iPhone, you just need to pull the rigger and hang in there for a week and it will all be good. Don't have any regrets . . none!

Was getting over the daily iPhone App updates and blah look and feel. yes, it was comfortable and familiar but just as tired and boring, you won't regret it.

I use Exchange for work, Txt messg'ing, Email, on the phone a lot. Verizon is awesome, will never leave them. Social apps include MovieFone, LinkedIn, Wells Fargo, Twitter, take and store my photos (i.e. amazing camera) maybe a few games. At the end of the day, the 4 main apps I use are on every phone, it's just a matter of getting used to them. I'm set now, not taking it back and yes, there are some things could be better/nice, but see WP as the new alternative to Droid and iPhone. Actually heard a guy asking about the new iPhone, I'm not hanging on for a finger print reader, could care less.

Sorry Apple, you had your chance, no new body improvements or excitement, WP8 does . . .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720