928 camera quality

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering where you 928 users would put the camera as far as quality of the pics? I'm coming from the Android world where so far all of my phones have had the "standard horrible smartphone camera" in them. I usually use a DSLR when I want really good pics, but don't always want to carry it around. I thought about getting some kind of "point & shoot" camera but if I could get a phone with a camera that can take pictures at the point & shoot level (or close) then that would be awesome. I'm a Verizon user now, but have been seriously debating jumping to AT&T for the 1020 since I know it will take good pics. I'm just wondering where the 92x cameras fit. Obviously they are not a 41MP monster but it would be a lot simpler if I didn't need to switch carriers to get something that will work.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the 928 and I'm happy with it, though if a "1028" ever came out on Verizon, I would switch in a heartbeat.

It takes acceptable photos, our little Canon ELPH 100HS takes better shots outside for sure. However, I am definitely impressed with the low light abilities, and the xenon flash is nice also.

It is good enough that I often skip the real camera for family outings as it takes good enough shots.

(I don't have an SLR though...)

Aaron Bateman

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
928 takes amazing photos for a cell phone and has a nice fast shutter.

That being said I made the mistake of doing a carrier switch back in 2009 from VZW to ATT for a device. Talk about bad idea. Back to VZW in less than 1.25 years. Wiggled out of the ETF's cause service was so bad at my house. Never again.

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
928 takes amazing photos for a cell phone and has a nice fast shutter.

That being said I made the mistake of doing a carrier switch back in 2009 from VZW to ATT for a device. Talk about bad idea. Back to VZW in less than 1.25 years. Wiggled out of the ETF's cause service was so bad at my house. Never again.

Yeah, thankfully I know they do have decent service around the areas I typically go since my gf has an iPhone 4S with them. The 928 and staying on Verizon is really tempting for a lot of reasons, but the amateur photo geek in me says "get the 1020" even though it could be overkill for a "fill in" camera.

Ooops not sure how I missed that. I'll take a look through there later tonight.

swirl253

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I love the camera on my 928
If I could upload pictures I would to show you how good the camera is.
That being said, I switched from an iPhone

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Camera quality with the 928 is great, but as with all smartphones, it's not perfect. In my opinion, it beats the cameras of today's most popular smartphones (i.e. the iPhones and Samsungs). It's probably a little lower on the food chain than the Lumia 925, and the Lumia 1020 is head and shoulders above the field.

In my personal experience, I think the Lumia 928 especially excels with color reproduction and macro photography. In these two aspects, I honestly am satisfied enough that I wouldn't care to switch to even the 1020. Night photography is also better than you're going to get with the rest of the industry, but still just fairly adequate given that it's a smartphone. In landscape and general photography, it is very good, but the 1020 will give you far better detail and clarity.

If I were looking for a new phone, I care enough about photography that I might have chosen the 1020 on AT&T. That being said, the Lumia 928 is in no way disappointing if the difference between Verizon and AT&T is a bigger concern.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
If I were looking for a new phone, I care enough about photography that I might have chosen the 1020 on AT&T. That being said, the Lumia 928 is in no way disappointing if the difference between Verizon and AT&T is a bigger concern.

This is where I'm at -- a) love the VZW coverage, and b) have a grandfathered family plan with unlimited data on my line. Not changing, will hold out for a super camera variant on Verizon.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've got one upgrade left on my family plan, so when the 1020 variant hits Verizon, the wife will get my 928 and I will pick up the addition to the Lumia family. :wink:

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, well I read something around here last night about ATT having maybe only about 6 months exclusivity on the 1020 and so that there might be a VZW (or other carrier) variants showing up around the end of the year. Considering I can't get out of my contract until mid-Dec. without at least a $120+ ETF I'm probably going to wait and see if they get/are getting anything. I'll have to check the pictures thread here to see if there are improvements since the update that went out today. As one person in the thread noted, the small sensor doesn't do well with sky stuff (noisy) and that was very noticeable to me. I didn't notice the kind of thing nearly as much when I compared sky stuff in the 1020 picture thread. Hoping the update might be able to help a bit. I'm not opposed to bailing on VZW but as I think I said earlier, it would be easier overall to stay with them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett