How good is the Lumia 928?

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We're not going to remove the thread, since it also lists fixes for some of the reported bugs.

Just keep in mind that it is the minority of people, not the majority, that have bugs. That's true of anything: smartphones, cars, TVs, etc.

Right. Minor bugs obviously haven't halted my interest in the 928.

ooklah

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear from someone who owns both. Pros and cons? Anything I would need to know if I do make the switch...if you're up to the task ;) lol

I can try! I really do like both phones but if I could choose only one to keep it would probably be the Z10. Maybe. It wouldn't be an easy choice. -=)

Things that I prefer on the 928 are the camera (obviously!), battery life, wireless charging, the home screen with live tiles and customization, and app support.

Although both platforms have the apps I use on a daily basis. You can't deny that WP8 has more of the popular apps (not including side loading and debug token tricks on BB10).

Things I like more on the Z10 are the keyboard (especially on the recent 10.2 leak), text selection, multi-tasking, notifications, the hub, and micro sd card support.
The basics, I suppose. Both phones do them, I just like the way BlackBerry does them more.

That is of course just the things I can think of off the top of my head.

In the end they can pretty much get the same things done, just in slightly different ways. It comes down to personal preference like most things.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can try! I really do like both phones but if I could choose only one to keep it would probably be the Z10. Maybe. It wouldn't be an easy choice. -=)

Things that I prefer on the 928 are the camera (obviously!), battery life, wireless charging, the home screen with live tiles and customization, and app support.

Although both platforms have the apps I use on a daily basis. You can't deny that WP8 has more of the popular apps (not including side loading and debug token tricks on BB10).

Things I like more on the Z10 are the keyboard (especially on the recent 10.2 leak), text selection, multi-tasking, notifications, the hub, and micro sd card support.
The basics, I suppose. Both phones do them, I just like the way BlackBerry does them more.

That is of course just the things I can think of off the top of my head.

In the end they can pretty much get the same things done, just in slightly different ways. It comes down to personal preference like most things.

Thanks! It does seem that the Windows Store beats BlackBerry World and it seems that Microsoft is actually trying to get developers on board unlike BlackBerry. I think Microsoft has done a very good job with that. Sideloading in my opinion is just an excuse for the poor selection in BlackBerry World. There are a good number of apps that I need to sideload on my Z10 which is a pain. And even so, they don't all run very smoothly.

I love being on the 10.2 leak myself and I think it brought a lot of great changes. I have one question though about the Lumia 928: when multitasking, are the apps all running or all paused? It would be a huge plus if it is like BB10 (if they're open, they're running).

ooklah

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! It does seem that the Windows Store beats BlackBerry World and it seems that Microsoft is actually trying to get developers on board unlike BlackBerry. I think Microsoft has done a very good job with that. Sideloading in my opinion is just an excuse for the poor selection in BlackBerry World. There are a good number of apps that I need to sideload on my Z10 which is a pain. And even so, they don't all run very smoothly.

I love being on the 10.2 leak myself and I think it brought a lot of great changes. I have one question though about the Lumia 928: when multitasking, are the apps all running or all paused? It would be a huge plus if it is like BB10 (if they're open, they're running).

The apps are frozen in the background. Music will play, but I think developers have to take advantage of specific APIs to be able to multi task properly.
For example, I locked my phone in the middle of replying to this post and when I unlocked my phone to continue, everything I typed was gone. Not cool!
Now this may be the developers fault, but I don't see why a user should have to worry about whether or not the apps they use are following proper pausing procedure.

So, multi tasking goes to BB10.

Sent from my Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The apps are frozen in the background. Music will play, but I think developers have to take advantage of specific APIs to be able to multi task properly.
For example, I locked my phone in the middle of replying to this post and when I unlocked my phone to continue, everything I typed was gone. Not cool!
Now this may be the developers fault, but I don't see why a user should have to worry about whether or not the apps they use are following proper pausing procedure.

So, multi tasking goes to BB10.

Sent from my Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

Oh man! That's a real shame. Even on BBOS devices apps in the background were actually running. Ah well. Hopefully that can change. Still not a true deal breaker.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To throw my two cents in: I just picked up my 928 Friday and am LOVING IT!!! I came from a iPhone 4s. I recommend highly!

Thanks! Pros and cons? How good of a job do the Live Tiles do in filling in with the lack of a notification bar? That's one thing I've always wondered.

P O

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Had my Lumia 928 a month If you just use to take photos(takes awesome low light photos), email , calls great phone. "Battery life" is hot topic on forums. In standby mode phone lasts forever, a nav, music or game app will chew it down (11% drain in 19 minutes when I first got mine, 3 hrs max at that rate) 928's Lithium battery performance does improve with successive charges(bout 30% better here). MS servers auto update phone every 30 minutes or so(unless you do it manually, soft reset ). Yesterday my Lumia told me I had 32% battery left. After doing a soft reset(equivalent of taking battery out) it updated showing I actually had 20% left; same thing happened to me on highway a few days earlier. Hope they fix issue.Its a buggie platform. My skydrive cloud app quit auto uploading photos August 10; tried manual, shows it going through but photos do not appear in my skydrive account. Plenty of storage left both on my phone and skydrive Cant do a hard reset(equivalent of wiping out hard drive) without risking losing photos that wont upload. Several texts I sent out yesterday never reached parties I sent them to. Awesome audio save for bass which can give you blown speakers sounds if bass is too loud song Im playing.The way servers update every 30 minutes is also why I think(unless you get a quote from a web site) its impossible to find a WP8 can give you a real time stock quote.

TheOneJohnHall

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine since they came out and I've been happy with it. I use it for work a lot and since the update the battery has gotten a lot better. The Apps have never really bothered me since everything I actually use Windows has me covered and they're getting better all the time. Go to the store and check it out. I just realized I didn't read the last comments on this thread so let's hope you haven't already got one and commented how you like it :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss