Just got GDR2/Amber. So, now what? How to take advantage of the update.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
The Amber/GDR2 update rolled out today to the Nokia Lumia 928. I snatched it up and now I'm wondering how to fully take advantage of it as far as changing settings and download new apps. Here is what I did, and some lingering questions. Let me know if I'm missing something:

1. Display+Touch
The coolest change are the
A. Settings > Display + Touch > Touch > check Double tap to wake up phone (allows you to tap the screen twice to turn on the display. very cool. I wish they had double tap to sleep too)
B. Settings > Display + Touch > Glance > Peek (turns on a small clock on the lock screen when you pull it out of your pocket or hover your hand over it without having to turn on the display)
C. Settings > Audio > enhancements > Flip to silence > on (edited to add)

2. Group Messaging (edited to add)
Settings > Applications > messaging > Group Text > On

3. New Apps
Nokia also launched several new apps:
A. Nokia Pro Cam: A new camera interface with easy to adjust settings. My plan is to have it replace the standard camera. To do this you can first remove the camera Live Tile from the start screen, then go to Settings > Applications > photos+camera > Pressing the camera button opens > Nokia Pro Cam). Anyone else doing this? There is no reason to use the standard camera interface anymore, right?
Note: If you change the default camera button from the default camera to Nokia Pro Cam, I noticed that pressing the camera button from sleep mode to awake always made me input my 4-digit password, whereas previously the default camera app did not make me do this. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way around this, even if you go back into the Settings > Applications > photos+camera and check or uncheck "Prevent accidental camera launch when phone is locked". Furthermore, even if you leave the default camera tied to the camera shutter button and awake from sleep without inputting a password, you still cannot access Nokia Pro Cam (or other lenses) via the lenses button without inputting a password. So, it seems that for quick pictures, the only option is the default camera (which, luckily, is a good camera).

B. Nokia Smart Cam: This is like an improved version of their Smart Shoot app. I believe this can do everything Smart Shoot could do, plus more. Is there any reason to keep Smart Shoot or should it be uninstalled?

C. Nokia Video Trimmer: Easily allows you to trim the videos you take and then save them and share them via Facebook, Email, tap+send, etc.

D. Nokia Video Upload: This one I believe lets you upload videos to YouTube, but I don't know because I don't use YouTube so I haven't downloaded this app, but I've heard it doesn't allow you to share to Vimeo. I would just share my videos the 'old-fashioned' way by going to Photos > Camera Roll > choosing a video > tapping the ... settings > Share > Facebook, etc., or by doing it via Nokia Video Trimmer

Are there any other new settings or apps that I overlooked or did I misinterpret anything above (such as replacing the standard camera with Nokia Pro Shot or replacing Smart Shoot with Smart Cam)?

Last edited:

Alij382

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes! Under 'audio' you will find flip to silence now

Under 'wifi' youll find 'check WiFi hotspots using data sense

Check your other storage :D

try the radio, its cool.

Open more html5 heavy websites, as those are improved

That's all for now

Bernard Ofori

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
do l have to call and ask them why? thats very messed up for them to leave them out. it is a nokia and its supposed to have a radio because even low end lumias got Radio. did you get yours with radio or without?

Bernard Ofori

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I believe Verizon left out the FM radio portion of this update although I have no concrete reason as to why.

did your download install radio on your lumia. thats messed up because its a nokia and it is supposed to have radio. even low end lumias got radios.verizo better step up

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes! Under 'audio' you will find flip to silence now

Under 'wifi' youll find 'check WiFi hotspots using data sense

Check your other storage :D

try the radio, its cool.

Open more html5 heavy websites, as those are improved

That's all for now

"Flip to Silence" is also cool. I swear that Wi-Fi thing was there before, but I guess not. Also cool. Where is this radio you speak of?
As for 'other storage', I heard this update was supposed to make it better, but mine is even worse now. Went from 9.2GB to 9.5GB. 9.5! That's nearly 1/3 of my entire phone's 32GB memory. WTF?

Iki Taba

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Hmm my other storage is now at 2.1gb and before the Amber update it was at 2.3 gb. Let's hope it goes down even more.

mrZoSo

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
1. Display+Touch
The coolest change are the
A. Settings > Display + Touch > Touch > check Double tap to wake up phone (allows you to tap the screen twice to turn on the display. very cool. I wish they had double tap to sleep too)
B. Settings > Display + Touch > Glance > Peek (turns on a small clock on the lock screen when you pull it out of your pocket or hover your hand over it without having to turn on the display)
I just got my phone, got the Amber update, but I don't have the Double Tap option or Peek option :/

Iki Taba

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I just got my phone, got the Amber update, but I don't have the Double Tap option or Peek option :/

If some of the features are missing just update Nokia apps like Extras+info, Display+touch. There are 4 of them I think you need to update. Use Lumia pusher if you have it, it`s the easiest way.

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
If some of the features are missing just update Nokia apps like Extras+info, Display+touch. There are 4 of them I think you need to update. Use Lumia pusher if you have it, it`s the easiest way.
LUMIA pusher is gone from the marketplace.
If you want those apps there are three methods.
  1. PAY and Download NOKIA Collection in the store/marketplace.
  2. On your phone download and install http://dowappdiagnostics.blob.core.windows.net/aet/AET.aetx (its the microsoft company certificate for Windows Phone App Studio) and download https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror . This is a rudimentary app, but it gets the job done. Apps are in no particular order.
  3. Download App oem update. and deploy using WP8 SDK or Windows Phone Power Tools.

My app will be updated here.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte