Cellular Mode selection for Verizon

cristianocr7

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Newbie to Windows phone coming from iPhone. What mode selection do I want for my Verizon network? It is set to Global Mode Selection?
I have 2 other options available:
1) LTE and CDMA
2) LTE, GSM or UMTS

Trying to understand what they all mean and what is best for performance and battery life.

Thanks

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
LTE/CDMA or Global

The other is for different carriers. Verizon and Sprint use CDMA/LTE while the rest of the world uses CDMA.
Beyond that, there isn't an option to select 1X, 3G, or LTE anywhere yet beyond hacking and that still doesn't do anything.
Global is just there for when you need to swap the SIM in your phone.

cristianocr7

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
So leave my setting as is for global? In other words, I cannot switch to 3G or LTE? Does my phone then automatically just pick up the signal available? Say, I am in the middle of the lake fishing, etc....It works perfect, so I don't want to mess around too much with settings that work. Just learning. Thanks

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
So leave my setting as is for global? In other words, I cannot switch to 3G or LTE? Does my phone then automatically just pick up the signal available? Say, I am in the middle of the lake fishing, etc....It works perfect, so I don't want to mess around too much with settings that work. Just learning. Thanks
I've had mine set on CDMA/LTE since I got the phone (about 7 weeks). Works fine, no issues. . .

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
if you are not planning to travel outside the US, I would set it to CDMA/LTE. on older devices, you would set this and get a little longer battery life as well as the phone would not be constantly scanning for the Global connection. Not sure if that still holds true with WP7/WP8 but I have had mine set to CDMA/LTE since day one and not issues with service.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Newbie to Windows phone coming from iPhone. What mode selection do I want for my Verizon network? It is set to Global Mode Selection?
I have 2 other options available:
1) LTE and CDMA
2) LTE, GSM or UMTS

Trying to understand what they all mean and what is best for performance and battery life.

Thanks

Leave it in Global Mode. LTE/CDMA will also work, and only out it in LTE/UMTS if you put another carrier (other than sprint) SIM card in as nearly all of the rest of the world uses GSM based technology

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Just curious... I recently purchased a 928 and should be getting it in a few days. What, exactly, is the difference between "Global" and LTE/CDMA? I get that Verizon uses CDMA, but then why use the "Global" setting? Does it allow for additional roaming options or something?

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Just curious... I recently purchased a 928 and should be getting it in a few days. What, exactly, is the difference between "Global" and LTE/CDMA? I get that Verizon uses CDMA, but then why use the "Global" setting? Does it allow for additional roaming options or something?

Its really for international roaming. Usually a MO will have support for a partnered mo with a different country and autoconnect to them, whether they use GSM or CDMA (the former is the world standard after all)

Sent from my RM-860 (Lumia 928) using the OFFICIAL Tapatalk app.

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
On a small side note, what about the data roaming setting? When set to Don't Roam, I couldn't get LTE, but then when I changed it to Roam, LTE kicked in. I should also state I am in my home area where number originates from. Sorry for the part-time hijack.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
On a small side note, what about the data roaming setting? When set to Don't Roam, I couldn't get LTE, but then when I changed it to Roam, LTE kicked in. I should also state I am in my home area where number originates from. Sorry for the part-time hijack.
sounds like a Verizon or sim problem, that shouldn't happen. I'd give tech support a call

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Your phone might be seeing two different cell towers. The one that is roaming that has a stronger signal or the one that's farther and weaker that's not roaming. Still I'd check the roaming map for your plan. If it isn't then I'd give them a call too.

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Your phone might be seeing two different cell towers. The one that is roaming that has a stronger signal or the one that's farther and weaker that's not roaming. Still I'd check the roaming map for your plan. If it isn't then I'd give them a call too.

Soooo, setting should be to not roam? What is the difference inside the US with a nationwide plan? Really should be no difference, right? If Roam get's me better LTE coverage, shouldn't I use that?

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I'd check your plan soon, before you see a huge $$$.$$ charge. Roaming works like it almost always has on Verizon, do anything while roaming and you'll have extra charges. THe nationwide plan might help, but there are still roaming regions even on the nationwide plan afaik.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
All Verizon phone are "Global Ready" & can work on GSM networks overseas. In the US you should use the CDMA/LTE radio. This is directly from Verizon. My old Trophy had similar option. If you go to Verizon's website you will see a globe icon indicating which phones are Global Ready. This is from the 928 description:

Network

• Network: CDMA1x/EV?DO Rev A, LTE/DO Rx diversity
  • Global Network: GSM (850, 900, 1800, 1900MHz, UMTS 850, 900, 1900, 2100MHz

All LTE phones have SIM cards as LTE is based on GSM tech. All Verizon's phones use CDMA for voice & LTE for data. Next year Verizon will enable VoLTE (voice over LTE) and begin to phase out CDMA. The 928 also has an AWS radio which will allow faster & better LTE coverage especially in dense urban areas.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism