So My Newer Model Lumia Is Gimped over an Older Model

Arsynic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
How is this even possible? This is in relation to the FM Radio option. Let me get this straight, I'll probably never have to use the feature but it's the principle of the matter that needs to be discussed. How can a newer version of basically the same hardware have less functionality? How is this even possible?

We deserve an explanation to why this is the case. And does this set a precedence for future Nokia phones? None of this makes sense. I'd expect features to be disabled on a budget phone, but not on a so-called flagship device.

Arsynic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I read that thread. This topic is about the precedent that this sets with Nokia phones. When I choose the more advanced model of a phone, I expect all of the features of the lesser model and then some. But with Nokia, this seems arbitrary.

I love WP8, but another carrier needs to step the f-up because Nokia isn't cutting it.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Given that is a VZ only device you may want to discuss with the carrier stated many times in the link hopmedic posted.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
There's no precedent here. The 822 has a MicroSD slot. 928 doesn't. Is 928 gimped because of that? It's not even a precedent with this particular model, let alone within Nokia.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
When I choose the more advanced model of a phone, I expect all of the features of the lesser model and then some.

If that's the case, why did you even buy the phone? The 822 has removable storage, it has a removable battery.... Both options are superior to what the 928 has, IMO.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
There's no precedent here. The 822 has a MicroSD slot. 928 doesn't. Is 928 gimped because of that? It's not even a precedent with this particular model, let alone within Nokia.

This ^ Even the 520 has a microsd slot. It sucks that there is no FM radio antenna though, but it is what it is. You still have a few radio apps and nokia music if you ever need music in a pinch!

pechio

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I read that thread. This topic is about the precedent that this sets with Nokia phones. When I choose the more advanced model of a phone, I expect all of the features of the lesser model and then some. But with Nokia, this seems arbitrary.

I love WP8, but another carrier needs to step the f-up because Nokia isn't cutting it.
I love WP8 too... but no FM radio, no wireless syncing (the cloud is way too slow), the tiles do whatever they want to do but updating & the lady from Here drive drives me nuts, telling me every 30 seconds keep left until it's too late to exit on the right.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I was VERY excited for GDR2 because of the FM Radio (I listen to nascar races occasionally, TuneIn supports the station it broadcasts on, but not the nascar programming), and was VERY depressed when GDR2 came out without FM Radio on my 928. Do I believe my phone is Gimped? No. The 822 is an awesome device but I want the awesome camera and screen on the 928 more than I want microSD, FM radio and removable battery on the 822.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site

Sorry for two responses in a row in this thread... I wish every "flagship" phone I purchase could come with everything I could ever desire, but I find that idea quite unreasonable. There are people who still want a qwerty slider, so lets throw that in; now a 1020 like camera; microSD; removable battery(that is 3000mah for two day use); FM radio; top quality build materials that are near indestructible; 2GB RAM; 1080p screen; etc.

So now we would all own giant bricks that weigh 300g, are 1/2 inch thick at best and cost a small fortune to own. I bought my 928 two weeks after release for $30, it blows the minds of every friend and family member that sees it(something my poor trophy never could do, even if it was still amazing IMO) and performs 95% of my realistic needs (great phone, great camera, great screen, wonderful OS).

pechio

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for two responses in a row in this thread... I wish every "flagship" phone I purchase could come with everything I could ever desire, but I find that idea quite unreasonable. There are people who still want a qwerty slider, so lets throw that in; now a 1020 like camera; microSD; removable battery(that is 3000mah for two day use); FM radio; top quality build materials that are near indestructible; 2GB RAM; 1080p screen; etc.

).
The FM radio is already in the phone & the WiFi syncing too, but somebody doesn't want us to use these functions.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
The FM radio is already in the phone & the WiFi syncing too, but somebody doesn't want us to use these functions.

It is my understanding that the FM receiver is built into the chip but isn't actually connected to anything, which would require additional design/cost. I'm not sticking up for nokia, but they obviously had some reason not to use the builtin FM receiver.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
It is my understanding that the FM receiver is built into the chip but isn't actually connected to anything, which would require additional design/cost. I'm not sticking up for nokia, but they obviously had some reason not to use the builtin FM receiver.

The reason is obvious, and is the reason Verizon does or doesn't do everything. It doesn't benefit their bottom line for them to have it, period. It would either drive up the cost of the phone, be a support problem or, in theory anyway, reduce revenues from sales of data service. It's not some evil conspiracy, unless you count squeezing the customer until every last drop of blood and other valuable bodily fluid is extracted as evil. Some bean counter did the math. That's all it is. Unsatisfying, I know, and it takes the fun out of righteous indignation.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It could (not saying it is - just could) be as simple as cost. Yeah, the wire would probably cost a penny or less... But I used to work in the Auto industry, and worked not only for a car manufacturer at one point, but a supplier at another point. At the supplier, where we made seats to supply the car makers, I've seen discussions that lasted six months about whether or not to put something on a seat that was going to cost just a penny. Yeah.... When you're working for a publicly traded company, they do look at that level of cost. A penny per seat, or even a penny per seat set (I don't remember which it was, as I wasn't directly involved, just hearing from my boss), multiplied by millions of cars/seats can add up.

pma

May 28, 2013
Visit site
It could have been a design or manufacturing error that wasn't caught until too late. Still, I prefer to blame Verizon because they deserve it :devil:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb