Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    How is this even possible? This is in relation to the FM Radio option. Let me get this straight, I'll probably never have to use the feature but it's the principle of the matter that needs to be discussed. How can a newer version of basically the same hardware have less functionality? How is this even possible?

We deserve an explanation to why this is the case. And does this set a precedence for future Nokia phones? None of this makes sense. I'd expect features to be disabled on a budget phone, but not on a so-called flagship device.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    - Rich

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I read that thread. This topic is about the precedent that this sets with Nokia phones. When I choose the more advanced model of a phone, I expect all of the features of the lesser model and then some. But with Nokia, this seems arbitrary.

I love WP8, but another carrier needs to step the f-up because Nokia isn't cutting it.
    Thanked by:
    DavidinCT likes this.

Given that is a VZ only device you may want to discuss with the carrier stated many times in the link hopmedic posted.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...

Global Posts
    1,742 Global Posts
    Don't wory, next month Verizon is releasing the 929, Radio Version.
    Thanked by:
    inteller and xandros9 like this.
    There's no precedent here. The 822 has a MicroSD slot. 928 doesn't. Is 928 gimped because of that? It's not even a precedent with this particular model, let alone within Nokia.
    - Rich

I miss the FM Radio on my 620 when a 520 is getting one.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gsquared View Post
    Given that is a VZ only device you may want to discuss with the carrier stated many times in the link hopmedic posted.
    How does this explain the 822?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsynic View Post
    I love WP8, but another carrier needs to step the f-up because Nokia isn't cutting it.
    You can't be serious??? With all that Nokia is doing and has done, you couldn't possibly mean that just because a flagship lacks an FM radio.
    Thanked by:
    dalydose likes this.

Global Posts
    1,742 Global Posts
    When I choose the more advanced model of a phone, I expect all of the features of the lesser model and then some.
    If that's the case, why did you even buy the phone? The 822 has removable storage, it has a removable battery.... Both options are superior to what the 928 has, IMO.

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I do not get the fury over the FM radio...
    Rick2340 likes this.

Global Posts
    800 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    There's no precedent here. The 822 has a MicroSD slot. 928 doesn't. Is 928 gimped because of that? It's not even a precedent with this particular model, let alone within Nokia.
    This ^ Even the 520 has a microsd slot. It sucks that there is no FM radio antenna though, but it is what it is. You still have a few radio apps and nokia music if you ever need music in a pinch!

I read that thread. This topic is about the precedent that this sets with Nokia phones. When I choose the more advanced model of a phone, I expect all of the features of the lesser model and then some. But with Nokia, this seems arbitrary.

I love WP8 too... but no FM radio, no wireless syncing (the cloud is way too slow), the tiles do whatever they want to do but updating & the lady from Here drive drives me nuts, telling me every 30 seconds keep left until it's too late to exit on the right.

I was VERY excited for GDR2 because of the FM Radio (I listen to nascar races occasionally, TuneIn supports the station it broadcasts on, but not the nascar programming), and was VERY depressed when GDR2 came out without FM Radio on my 928. Do I believe my phone is Gimped? No. The 822 is an awesome device but I want the awesome camera and screen on the 928 more than I want microSD, FM radio and removable battery on the 822.

Sorry for two responses in a row in this thread... I wish every "flagship" phone I purchase could come with everything I could ever desire, but I find that idea quite unreasonable. There are people who still want a qwerty slider, so lets throw that in; now a 1020 like camera; microSD; removable battery(that is 3000mah for two day use); FM radio; top quality build materials that are near indestructible; 2GB RAM; 1080p screen; etc.

So now we would all own giant bricks that weigh 300g, are 1/2 inch thick at best and cost a small fortune to own. I bought my 928 two weeks after release for $30, it blows the minds of every friend and family member that sees it(something my poor trophy never could do, even if it was still amazing IMO) and performs 95% of my realistic needs (great phone, great camera, great screen, wonderful OS).
    hopmedic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 3earnhardt3 View Post
    Sorry for two responses in a row in this thread... I wish every "flagship" phone I purchase could come with everything I could ever desire, but I find that idea quite unreasonable. There are people who still want a qwerty slider, so lets throw that in; now a 1020 like camera; microSD; removable battery(that is 3000mah for two day use); FM radio; top quality build materials that are near indestructible; 2GB RAM; 1080p screen; etc.

).
    The FM radio is already in the phone & the WiFi syncing too, but somebody doesn't want us to use these functions.

Quote Originally Posted by pechio View Post
    The FM radio is already in the phone & the WiFi syncing too, but somebody doesn't want us to use these functions.
    It is my understanding that the FM receiver is built into the chip but isn't actually connected to anything, which would require additional design/cost. I'm not sticking up for nokia, but they obviously had some reason not to use the builtin FM receiver.

Global Posts
    1,878 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3earnhardt3 View Post
    It is my understanding that the FM receiver is built into the chip but isn't actually connected to anything, which would require additional design/cost. I'm not sticking up for nokia, but they obviously had some reason not to use the builtin FM receiver.
    The reason is obvious, and is the reason Verizon does or doesn't do everything. It doesn't benefit their bottom line for them to have it, period. It would either drive up the cost of the phone, be a support problem or, in theory anyway, reduce revenues from sales of data service. It's not some evil conspiracy, unless you count squeezing the customer until every last drop of blood and other valuable bodily fluid is extracted as evil. Some bean counter did the math. That's all it is. Unsatisfying, I know, and it takes the fun out of righteous indignation.
    Thanked by:
    DavidinCT likes this.
    It could (not saying it is - just could) be as simple as cost. Yeah, the wire would probably cost a penny or less... But I used to work in the Auto industry, and worked not only for a car manufacturer at one point, but a supplier at another point. At the supplier, where we made seats to supply the car makers, I've seen discussions that lasted six months about whether or not to put something on a seat that was going to cost just a penny. Yeah.... When you're working for a publicly traded company, they do look at that level of cost. A penny per seat, or even a penny per seat set (I don't remember which it was, as I wasn't directly involved, just hearing from my boss), multiplied by millions of cars/seats can add up.
    - Rich

Thanked by:
    jleebiker and mase123987 like this.

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    It could have been a design or manufacturing error that wasn't caught until too late. Still, I prefer to blame Verizon because they deserve it
    hopmedic, xandros9 and MikeLip like this.

Global Posts
    1,878 Global Posts
    It could (not saying it is - just could) be as simple as cost. Yeah, the wire would probably cost a penny or less... But I used to work in the Auto industry, and worked not only for a car manufacturer at one point, but a supplier at another point. At the supplier, where we made seats to supply the car makers, I've seen discussions that lasted six months about whether or not to put something on a seat that was going to cost just a penny. Yeah.... When you're working for a publicly traded company, they do look at that level of cost. A penny per seat, or even a penny per seat set (I don't remember which it was, as I wasn't directly involved, just hearing from my boss), multiplied by millions of cars/seats can add up.
    I am (well, was) an electronics engineer, and am now controlling our production and watching supply chain. I am pretty familiar with manufacturing electronics since that's what I do since 1975. I am going to guess for materials to connect to antenna, maybe a few cents. After than perhaps 5 or 10 cents to connect it - much of this work is done by hand, although this is probably nothing more than clipping the wire to the antenna. Still you multiply that over a few million phones, it's starting to look like enough money to by a nice house in Los Angeles or pay off the old Lamborghini.

Global Posts
    1,878 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p.m.a. View Post
    It could have been a design or manufacturing error that wasn't caught until too late. Still, I prefer to blame Verizon because they deserve it
    Excellent point! :)

Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
    Most people don't get this. Esp. when talking about electronics, employees are always being pushed to cut costs of parts and manufacturing, even a penny at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
    I am (well, was) an electronics engineer, and am now controlling our production and watching supply chain. I am pretty familiar with manufacturing electronics since that's what I do since 1975. I am going to guess for materials to connect to antenna, maybe a few cents. After than perhaps 5 or 10 cents to connect it - much of this work is done by hand, although this is probably nothing more than clipping the wire to the antenna. Still you multiply that over a few million phones, it's starting to look like enough money to by a nice house in Los Angeles or pay off the old Lamborghini.
    Well, did they sell the car with unusable seats, they still would be inside the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
    As a reminder all the new Lumias have the radio connected (see the pic below) only the model for Verizon doesn't. It's nice marketing move "you pay more for less"
    lumia928_radio.jpg

Global Posts
    1,878 Global Posts
    No one here, or anywhere, is going to say anything to make you like this. And nothing that is said here is going to change it. There is a saying in engineering - "It is what it is." Verizon just does not really care too much if you are happy as an individual or not. They made the decision for what seemed to them to be a good reason. Whether it is objectively good is not necessarily so, but it is what it is. You have a decision to make; use the phone (and it's a darned nice phone, FM or no) or don't. There are other carriers and other phones. But the other carriers won't really be any better because their motivations are identical to Verizons; suck as much money from your wallet as possible, just short of starvation, because dead customers don't pay their bills.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast